Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know, I'm a little relieved. Some team could have offered him a longer term deal (see Horford, Al). I know it's not exactly the same situation but I would have thought there was at least some interest in Gasol around the league. Maybe he figures he can get one last contract after next year regardless.

In any case, happy to have the big man back. One down, two to go.
    This year's free agent center class includes Cousins, Vucevic, Horford, Randle (though he plays 4/5), Lopez, Jordan, JV, WCS, Kanter, and Looney

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know, I'm a little relieved. Some team could have offered him a longer term deal (see Horford, Al). I know it's not exactly the same situation but I would have thought there was at least some interest in Gasol around the league. Maybe he figures he can get one last contract after next year regardless.

In any case, happy to have the big man back. One down, two to go.
      There was some interest in Gasol. Rumors had the Pelicans being interested in him . I am glad we got him back, we wouldn't have won the series vs The Sixers without Gasol here. Chances are pretty good we will meet them again next season in the playoffs.

Comment

• Good sign that Kawhi may re-sign as well. Gasol did imply that Kawhi's decision would impact his.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
          Good sign that Kawhi may re-sign as well. Gasol did imply that Kawhi's decision would impact his.
          I don't think Gasol knows either.

But when he looked at the economics of the situation, he realized if he wanted another rich contract than he has to step up his game on a winning team team which he was on already.

Contract year Gasol better hit the gym hard and not touch alcohol & cake until the next parade

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

I don't think Gasol knows either.

But when he looked at the economics of the situation, he realized if he wanted another rich contract than he has to step up his game on a winning team team which he was on already.

Contract year Gasol better hit the gym hard and not touch alcohol & cake until the next parade
            I wonder if his offseason routine was somewhat less than maximum effort playing for the Grizzlies. He was nearing the end of his own career. He knew he wasn't going to go very far. That has to impact on a players motivation and effort.

It might be a whole new ball game this summer. Certainly Nurse will be whispering in his ear what he wants Marc to be working on.

Comment

• If Gasol negotiates an extension, which he is indeed eligible for, it can't modify his 19-20 salary. But it can be a good deal cheaper in 2020-21 - extensions are one scenario where the maximum raise/drop in salary from year to year doesn't apply quite the same way.

I'd hope any extension would be only for one year. But we don't know yet if they are punting on 2020 or aiming for 2020. I imagine they don't know either, and won't until Kawhi signs, depending on what term he signs for.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                If Gasol negotiates an extension, which he is indeed eligible for, it can't modify his 19-20 salary. But it can be a good deal cheaper in 2020-21 - extensions are one scenario where the maximum raise/drop in salary from year to year doesn't apply quite the same way.

I'd hope any extension would be only for one year. But we don't know yet if they are punting on 2020 or aiming for 2020. I imagine they don't know either, and won't until Kawhi signs, depending on what term he signs for.
                looks like he opts in

Comment

• my guess is this upcoming year they go for it. and the following year they will psuedo punt... or get a tier down star... i'd love to see them get beal.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I wonder if his offseason routine was somewhat less than maximum effort playing for the Grizzlies. He was nearing the end of his own career. He knew he wasn't going to go very far. That has to impact on a players motivation and effort.

It might be a whole new ball game this summer. Certainly Nurse will be whispering in his ear what he wants Marc to be working on.
                    If we roll the whole team back next year, I'm most excited about how we can use Gasol better. Especially on offence - as a scorer, and a playmaker. Oodles of potential there.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

looks like he opts in
                      Uh, yes. Hence the possibility of an extension. If he opted out he'd need to be re-signed, which is a different thing.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Uh, yes. Hence the possibility of an extension. If he opted out he'd need to be re-signed, which is a different thing.
                        What is the timeline when an extension can be signed ...say for 1 or 2 yrs more? Can this be done anytime during the upcoming season.

Comment

• I don’t think an extension is necessary, if Kawhi resigns then we see how this next year goes and decide from there.

Theres no reason to commit to a 34 year old centre

Comment

• I’m happy he is back for the year though

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

This year's free agent center class includes Cousins, Vucevic, Horford, Randle (though he plays 4/5), Lopez, Jordan, JV, WCS, Kanter, and Looney
                              Out of curiosity, out of that list who would you guys have chosen for one more playoff run with this team. Damn I may chose Marc over all of them for his defense and intangibles.

Comment

• He was a mid season trade and you could tell offensively that he just tried to fit in. Hopefully Kawhi and Danny come back and we can see what a full training camp with Gasol will look like next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X