Everything Marc Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

Looking ahead, March 14th against the Pistons is their first game back from Raps' last western conference swing. Would be very tempting to rest him until then. That's 18 games left in the season.
    If he's healthy and ready to go then it would be great to get him back into game shape then shut him down for rest prior to playoffs. Possibly even hold off on starting him until the playoffs.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

If he's healthy and ready to go then it would be great to get him back into game shape then shut him down for rest prior to playoffs. Possibly even hold off on starting him until the playoffs.
      Their last few games are mostly against cupcakes but playoff positioning may come into play as well.

Comment

• When will The Spaniard..come back..the ball movement and defense is just in different level when he plays, I believe it's just load management 😉..he will be back soon.
        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          We dont have that go to 2nd scorer everybody wants, but now with gasol, siakam, Ibaka and Lowry we have 4 "third scorer types" that on any given night can go off for well over 20 pts and be that 2nd guy.
          Just reread this post from last year, and thought we could legitimately rephrase it. Keon was demonstrating second sight here.

"we don't have that go to a 1st scorer that everybody wants, but now with Siakam & Ibaka and we have 2 "second scorers and with Lowry, Fred and Gasol we have 2 "third scorer types" that on any given night can go off for well over 20 pts."

How many games over the last 20 have the Raptors had multiple double digit scorers, or even 20 point scorers? How many times have they had undrafted players score 20 or more points?

Bet on yourself.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think that number is taken out of context from Nick. He basically said Gasol could play now but they are being super cautious with his leg because he re-aggravated it once already. Then said they would only be concerned about the timing of getting him back to get him enough reps to get in shape before the playoffs. Basically he'll come back when he's healthy and only in that final stretch would they start to even consider risking him playing at 95% health because at that point there is a rust cost to the rest.

There was a follow up question about how many games Nick thought players needed to really get in rhythm before the playoffs and that's where he gave the 8-12 game number. It was not a prediction for Gasol.
            Okay this made me feel much better. I thought he had some sort of setback or something from all the comments I've been seeing.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Just read this: "Of all muscle injuries, hamstrings have one of the highest recurrence rates, happening in an estimated range of between 12 per cent and 33 per cent of cases, according to a 2017 study." And this: "Prior (hamstring) strains make an athlete 2.1 times more likely to re-injure themselves, according to a 2012 study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, and recovery time following re-injury is often longer than what’s needed the first time around."

Not what you want to hear, but this is probably why they are being conservative.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Just read this: "Of all muscle injuries, hamstrings have one of the highest recurrence rates, happening in an estimated range of between 12 per cent and 33 per cent of cases, according to a 2017 study." And this: "Prior (hamstring) strains make an athlete 2.1 times more likely to re-injure themselves, according to a 2012 study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, and recovery time following re-injury is often longer than what’s needed the first time around."

Not what you want to hear, but this is probably why they are being conservative.
                  HA well hope he's had enough recovery time by now! A gr8 situation in some ways, this pandemic offseason

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  Wow. I knew he was good, and I've watched lots of Raps ball but seeing it all together like that... wow. Just wow. Who cares about Serge, sry tbh. Like sign both if possible but damn. Who knew MG was the key to unlocking Freddy boy?!?! Srsly who even needs Giannis at this point. We're already gr8. I mean take him if he's there but DAMn.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

HA well hope he's had enough recovery time by now! A gr8 situation in some ways, this pandemic offseason

Wow. I knew he was good, and I've watched lots of Raps ball but seeing it all together like that... wow. Just wow. Who cares about Serge, sry tbh. Like sign both if possible but damn. Who knew MG was the key to unlocking Freddy boy?!?! Srsly who even needs Giannis at this point. We're already gr8. I mean take him if he's there but DAMn.
                    The problem is in the playoffs when the opposition backs off Gasol, leaves him open and he won't shoot. Same thing with Lowry. That's when you need Kawhi.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The problem is in the playoffs when the opposition backs off Gasol, leaves him open and he won't shoot. Same thing with Lowry. That's when you need Kawhi.
                      Hm sounds 2 tru :/

Pascal???? Can he do it?!?!?

Serge will shoot as well. He's nvr afraid of that mid range.

AND NORM

That's our Kawhi replacement. The New NORM-al, Norm is on the POWELL

That man. 6th man of the yr if u take away the injuries. Plus he's already playoff Powell.

U heard it here first: A FORTY POINT NP GAME IS COMING IN THIS NBA RESTART BE READY

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

The problem has never been Serge or marc right now, gasol is clearly the superior player. But his window his closing fast. His brother declined at 36 and went off a cliff at 38. Marc will turn 36 during next season. You're hoping to squeeze 2 more years out of his old banged up body.

Serge on the other hand is 30 and you could argue had lowkey the best year of his career last year. They're very different players that have fairly different roles and have already shown they can play together in the new nba, in a perfect world you keep both. Although I'm just a dreamer and think we're losing at least one.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

The problem has never been Serge or marc right now, gasol is clearly the superior player. But his window his closing fast. His brother declined at 36 and went off a cliff at 38. Marc will turn 36 during next season. You're hoping to squeeze 2 more years out of his old banged up body.

Serge on the other hand is 30 and you could argue had lowkey the best year of his career last year. They're very different players that have fairly different roles and have already shown they can play together in the new nba, in a perfect world you keep both. Although I'm just a dreamer and think we're losing at least one.
                          I have such a hard time with this, they each bring something different. A lot of teams also make mistakes trying to predict how good a guy will be in his next contract (whether better or worse). In a way, contracts pay a guy for the year or 2 he played before signing, not for what comes during the contract.

Holding out hope we might be able to keep both on short deals if players are worried about a dropping cap in the short-term due to lost revenues.

That aside, which you try to keep will factor into other cap space decisions. If the goal is to win now as much as possible then open up as much cap space as possible for FA signings next summer, then keep Gasol. If Giannis is a pipe dream and you think a Siakam-led team might actually be really good the next few years, then keep Ibaka. Bit of a philosophical choice to be made.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I have such a hard time with this, they each bring something different. A lot of teams also make mistakes trying to predict how good a guy will be in his next contract (whether better or worse). In a way, contracts pay a guy for the year or 2 he played before signing, not for what comes during the contract.

Holding out hope we might be able to keep both on short deals if players are worried about a dropping cap in the short-term due to lost revenues.

That aside, which you try to keep will factor into other cap space decisions. If the goal is to win now as much as possible then open up as much cap space as possible for FA signings next summer, then keep Gasol. If Giannis is a pipe dream and you think a Siakam-led team might actually be really good the next few years, then keep Ibaka. Bit of a philosophical choice to be made.
                            All in on Giannis, full stop.

If he stays in Miwaukee or goes elsewhere, you kinda blow it up anyway as Kyle, Gasol and Ibaka could/would/should all be gone. In theory, Ibaka could still fit as a 31 year old but it would be Siakam and Fred's team (if FVV is still here). In any event, this is an entirely new team in 2 years with almost no one left from the Championship team

I think part of the pitch to Giannis is "we have a great city and fans, Siakam and FVV, a blank slate and a pot full of money. Who esle do you want to play with?" Both LA teams should be less of a factor by then at least one in the duos of lebron and PG plus Harden, Westbrook, Kyrie and Durant are all on the downside.

Siakam and The Alphabet could kill it for years. In addition to bringing in someone of Giannis' choosing out of his A class, if Masai could work some magic and bring in another A-lister before the big FA year, I think he stocks the odds in Toronto's favour a bit further.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

All in on Giannis, full stop.

If he stays in Miwaukee or goes elsewhere, you kinda blow it up anyway as Kyle, Gasol and Ibaka could/would/should all be gone. In theory, Ibaka could still fit as a 31 year old but it would be Siakam and Fred's team (if FVV is still here). In any event, this is an entirely new team in 2 years with almost no one left from the Championship team

I think part of the pitch to Giannis is "we have a great city and fans, Siakam and FVV, a blank slate and a pot full of money. Who esle do you want to play with?" Both LA teams should be less of a factor by then at least one in the duos of lebron and PG plus Harden, Westbrook, Kyrie and Durant are all on the downside.

Siakam and The Alphabet could kill it for years. In addition to bringing in someone of Giannis' choosing out of his A class, if Masai could work some magic and bring in another A-lister before the big FA year, I think he stocks the odds in Toronto's favour a bit further.
                              There will never be a blow up as long as masai is here imo. Pascal is already a top 15 player. Masai drafts nba rotation players in his sleep. We got nurse, We're in the east and we chug along and win 50. Of course you try for giannis but it's as much of a pipe dream as the kd talks in 2015 (remember drake, or kd saying Raptors used to be his favorite team lol)

clear space for the big name free agent has been the New York Knicks strategy since Patrick Ewing left. And, well..nuff said
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Masai has made it a habit to stay cap neutral for 2021. I don't think he'll break that for Serge and Marc.. but I also still think we can bring them both back on large 1+1 deals. Term of course is important especially when guys get hurt all the time. But this season will suck for free agents because the cap is going to come down. If they wait a year they might get paid more.

I think we should overpay to keep Marc and Serge for the year. Give them each $20M deals and then look at the landscape in 2021. If Giannis stays (which seems likely) then we bring Marc and Serge back again or look for another player to replace them (like Gobert).

Comment

Working...
                                X