X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Unquestionably. It's not an NBA hall of fame, it's a basketball hall of fame. His international successes alone would qualify him.
    Not sur e how reliable this is but they gave Gasol 4% chance of making the hall of fame. Draymond Green 30%? Kawhi Leonard 55% huh? Klay Thompson 51%, Vince Carter pretty much a lock at 94%, Kyle Lowry 85%(!).

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../hof_prob.html

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah. He wanted a lesser role, apparently, but he also gets to be near Pau, be in California, and has his best shot at another ring. All perfectly valid and he's earned this kind of opportunity in an offseason like this one, at this stage in his career, to go chase a ring. But let's call a spade a spade. Gasol and Ibaka are off chasing rings. Good for them.
    And it will be extra satisfying when the Raptors win a ring next season instead

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

He's there to chase another ring like Danny Green ....
    Yeah. He wanted a lesser role, apparently, but he also gets to be near Pau, be in California, and has his best shot at another ring. All perfectly valid and he's earned this kind of opportunity in an offseason like this one, at this stage in his career, to go chase a ring. But let's call a spade a spade. Gasol and Ibaka are off chasing rings. Good for them.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

Gasol is in LA to do what he does best against a potential playoff match up with Denver. Vuc, Embiid, and possibly Jokic is just another notch on Marc's belt.
    He's there to chase another ring like Danny Green ....

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

You could see it in the Boston game 7 where he had that look on his face like he was just trying not to mess it up for his teammates and wondering why the hell he was still on the floor.

I guess in LA he knows he will only be out there for brief windows and they don't really need him to do much other than not crap the bed in limited minutes, so he thinks he can handle that.
    Gasol is in LA to do what he does best against a potential playoff match up with Denver. Vuc, Embiid, and possibly Jokic is just another notch on Marc's belt.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTristanThompson
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Unquestionably. It's not an NBA hall of fame, it's a basketball hall of fame. His international successes alone would qualify him.
    THAT's for sure.

THE MAN

MG FOR LIFE

#MG2022
    #SERGE2021
    #KAWHIIII2021111111

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Question, is Gasol a hall of famer?

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Yes.
    But in a vacuum (for me) I'd say no. The bar is fairly low anyways but his international resume adds a lot.

Wiki:
    He is a two-time All-NBA Team member, a three-time NBA All-Star, and an NBA champion. In 2013, he was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year.

Gasol has been a regular member of the Spain national team since 2006. He has won two Olympic silver medals and two FIBA Basketball World Cup titles. In the EuroBasket, he has won two titles, a silver medal, and two bronze medals.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

I don't want to be too much of a cynic and Gasol is absolutely a great, team-oriented guy, but people pulling that "it's not you, it's me" quote to 'aw, shucks' good ol' Marc Gasol leaves something important out - Gasol also went to LA because they're the defending champs and favourites to get him another ring. It's not just about the Raptors would want him to play a bigger role and he doesn't want to disappoint them, it's also he's at the end of his career and he's much more likely to get himself another ring in LA. Let's be realistic.

But yeah - the self-awareness that he was clanking/avoiding shots the team needed him to make seemed pretty apparent on-court by the end of the playoffs.
    I thought it was perfectly put by Marc though and I really respect that. -- 'I'm not good enough any longer to be what you need me to be for us to win a chip, but I know I can go and help Lebron and company do what they already have a great likelihood to do.' ..... I don't know, I'm not sure of the last time I heard an athlete say anything exactly like that, and I thought it was pretty admirable. I also can't recall an athlete looking as despondent as he did in-game that he no longer 'had it' maybe since Oliver McCaul fought Lennox Lewis. I know that's a niche example and an extreme one, and perhaps I can only say that because of my proximity as a fan to the Raptors... but he looked devastated to not be able do anything to help his team succeed. I can't join you down the cynic road here, S.R.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Great chance to win another championship. HOFer.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied

You could see it in the Boston game 7 where he had that look on his face like he was just trying not to mess it up for his teammates and wondering why the hell he was still on the floor.

I guess in LA he knows he will only be out there for brief windows and they don't really need him to do much other than not crap the bed in limited minutes, so he thinks he can handle that.
    I don't want to be too much of a cynic and Gasol is absolutely a great, team-oriented guy, but people pulling that "it's not you, it's me" quote to 'aw, shucks' good ol' Marc Gasol leaves something important out - Gasol also went to LA because they're the defending champs and favourites to get him another ring. It's not just about the Raptors would want him to play a bigger role and he doesn't want to disappoint them, it's also he's at the end of his career and he's much more likely to get himself another ring in LA. Let's be realistic.

But yeah - the self-awareness that he was clanking/avoiding shots the team needed him to make seemed pretty apparent on-court by the end of the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Lakers are a perfect fit. They have Lebron & AD who can handle 30% USG when necessary, which means that you can have a passive body out there that does nothing but play defense and pass the ball intelligently. That's the perfect job description for 2020 Gasol. And it's an added bonus that he can bang for 10-15 minutes a game with big bodies in the regular season to save wear & tear on AD for the playoffs.
    I think our definition of what "banging with the big bodies" means has been skewed the last few years. Marc played great positional defense; he didn't bang with anybody. Fans are going to love Baynes.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Lakers are a perfect fit. They have Lebron & AD who can handle 30% USG when necessary, which means that you can have a passive body out there that does nothing but play defense and pass the ball intelligently. That's the perfect job description for 2020 Gasol. And it's an added bonus that he can bang for 10-15 minutes a game with big bodies in the regular season to save wear & tear on AD for the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Gasol is a really proud guy, and if even he can admit that he's washed.... I wonder why some people on this board can't do the same.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X