No announcement yet.

buy out market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta recognize that being up above the luxury tax line makes everything EXPONENTIALLY more expensive, and does so more and more each year you are. So it’s only good business to make sure you’re doing everything you can to proactively manage that. Meeks looked great in his minutes and I’d love to keep him around. Realistically though he shouldn’t even see time as an insurance option come the post season... we have insurance already in front of him. The fact that he very confidently drilled a number of threes makes a much stronger case, but really, we don’t need what he’s selling. He’s not gonna change ratings, let alone our fortunes. A big body to spell off one of Ibaka/Gasol though is an absolute necessity. I trust Masai to recognize the areas of need and spend money where it actually needs to be spent, and for MLSE to give him absolute support in that.

Masai manages Kawhi’s needs well — and he also manages ownership’s needs well. Smart man.

Comment

• If there was a 15th man that could play a significant role in the success of the team, they would sign one. But the price of adding a 15th man just for the heck of it with no apparent benefit doesn’t make sense.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        Gotta recognize that being up above the luxury tax line makes everything EXPONENTIALLY more expensive, and does so more and more each year you are. So it’s only good business to make sure you’re doing everything you can to proactively manage that. Meeks looked great in his minutes and I’d love to keep him around. Realistically though he shouldn’t even see time as an insurance option come the post season... we have insurance already in front of him. The fact that he very confidently drilled a number of threes makes a much stronger case, but really, we don’t need what he’s selling. He’s not gonna change ratings, let alone our fortunes. A big body to spell off one of Ibaka/Gasol though is an absolute necessity. I trust Masai to recognize the areas of need and spend money where it actually needs to be spent, and for MLSE to give him absolute support in that.

Masai manages Kawhi’s needs well — and he also manages ownership’s needs well. Smart man.
        Then why spend the money bring Meeks in and play him if they were not going to keep him. That logic doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
          Then why spend the money bring Meeks in and play him if they were not going to keep him. That logic doesn't make sense.
          Well for one thing they were below the mandatory amount of rostered spots so they had to bring someone on -- and will have to bring at least one more player on again before all is said and done (They have two open roster spots right now I believe, one of which has to be filled.) Whether they were ever giving Jodie a really serious look, I can't say. They absolutely could've been, they could've just been bridging the gap until they're able to make a decision/arrangements with a big man they can bring on. I'm not surprised though that they're still trying things and tinkering until they settle on the final roster spot. I liked Meeks, thought he played really well. Not at all surprised to see them let him walk though -- and won't be surprised if one roster spot remains open in the end. (they could even still come back around to Meeks, though that might seem unlikely.)

Comment

• Comment

• How long are they allowed to roll with just 13 players?

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                How long are they allowed to roll with just 13 players?
                2 weeks I think I read
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

2 weeks I think I read
                  Can't recall in the Masai era as much churn with the line-up. Of the opening day roster, only 8 players remain including Boucher who will not be a factor in the play-offs.

Comment

2 weeks I think I read
                    Yep. They can alternate 10-day contracts and 14-day short rosters to the end of the season if they like to save the maximum amount of money, or lock in someone with a rest of season deal whenever they feel like having that piece for the playoffs is of more value than the money saved.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• With the Ibaka-Chriss fight and likelihood of a suspension for Ibaka, it's possible now that we may be putting that extra roster spot to use for a 10-day contract even if we're not going to sign anyone into it until the rest of the season for financial reasons. For that matter, if the Raptors were holding off on signing Gortat for financial reasons (there was previous reported mutual interest), they might be looking to change their timetable.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
                        With the Ibaka-Chriss fight and likelihood of a suspension for Ibaka, it's possible now that we may be putting that extra roster spot to use for a 10-day contract even if we're not going to sign anyone into it until the rest of the season for financial reasons. For that matter, if the Raptors were holding off on signing Gortat for financial reasons (there was previous reported mutual interest), they might be looking to change their timetable.
                        It does seem like an ideal time to give a tryout to a C, with Ibaka likely looking at a multiple game suspension, and signing a guy Thursday is pretty close to the Friday deadline.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'd say there's a HUGE chance that a backup C is signed now

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

It does seem like an ideal time to give a tryout to a C, with Ibaka likely looking at a multiple game suspension, and signing a guy Thursday is pretty close to the Friday deadline.
                            Multiple game? What is your thoughts? I think he gets 2, 3 at the absolute max.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Multiple game? What is your thoughts? I think he gets 2, 3 at the absolute max.
                              I suspect it will be 4 games. Ingram got 4 for this:

Ibaka was just as bad IMO.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
                                With the Ibaka-Chriss fight and likelihood of a suspension for Ibaka, it's possible now that we may be putting that extra roster spot to use for a 10-day contract even if we're not going to sign anyone into it until the rest of the season for financial reasons. For that matter, if the Raptors were holding off on signing Gortat for financial reasons (there was previous reported mutual interest), they might be looking to change their timetable.
                                Interesting spitball theories floating around out there "in the comments sections" are that the JV/Miles/CJ trade for Gasol and some of the open roster spot moves are/were partially about ownership trying to save tax money this year. I understand zero about how the tax works, so maybe somebody who knows can help a brotha out. If we're trying to cheap out, then this is not the year to be doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X