Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    If there was a 15th man that could play a significant role in the success of the team, they would sign one. But the price of adding a 15th man just for the heck of it with no apparent benefit doesn’t make sense.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Gotta recognize that being up above the luxury tax line makes everything EXPONENTIALLY more expensive, and does so more and more each year you are. So it’s only good business to make sure you’re doing everything you can to proactively manage that. Meeks looked great in his minutes and I’d love to keep him around. Realistically though he shouldn’t even see time as an insurance option come the post season... we have insurance already in front of him. The fact that he very confidently drilled a number of threes makes a much stronger case, but really, we don’t need what he’s selling. He’s not gonna change ratings, let alone our fortunes. A big body to spell off one of Ibaka/Gasol though is an absolute necessity. I trust Masai to recognize the areas of need and spend money where it actually needs to be spent, and for MLSE to give him absolute support in that.

Masai manages Kawhi’s needs well — and he also manages ownership’s needs well. Smart man.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Shredder wrote: View Post
    Bell and Rogers are among some of the most profitable telecommunication companies on the planet. They have money to spend, and ratings increase their potential ad dollars, thus even making more. I think the $ argument is irrelevant with those companies.
    But it does come down to $$$. It's why we gave up 2nd rounders to get out of Malachi's and Moose's deals. I forget the numbers but I think it came down to like $10-$12M in savings. Also the reason why we used a pick to get rid of Carroll's contract. That would have been a tax burden if we kept him.

Maybe it's a Masai thing and not an MLSE thing. Maybe he just wants to be financially responsible (he is the President of the company). But most of the deadline deals were to save money. I mean we even got cash back in the Kawhi deal and were able to avoid the trade kicker in the Gasol deal.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Bell and Rogers are among some of the most profitable telecommunication companies on the planet. They have money to spend, and ratings increase their potential ad dollars, thus even making more. I think the $ argument is irrelevant with those companies.
    Great. What do the financial statements on Raptors expenses, revenue and net profit say?

And have the shareholders agreed to reduce net profits to please fans who stream games from pirated sources?

Gotta remember who is running the show, and what their ultimate purpose is.

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    Saving $$$

(And we have so much wing/guard depth as it already stands.)

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Why is it that we only want 14 players. What is the disadvantage to signing both meeks and gortat to end of year deals? For insurance purposes alone it makes sense if somebody goes down.
    Saving $$$

(And we have so much wing/guard depth as it already stands.)

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied
    Why is it that we only want 14 players. What is the disadvantage to signing both meeks and gortat to end of year deals? For insurance purposes alone it makes sense if somebody goes down.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Would prefer Meeks in a vacuum but he plays a position of depth for the Raptors and they really could use another 7 footer on the bench for injury/foul insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell Duong
    replied
    Another guy running hard, moving screens is just what Lin and Lowry need! (I guess FVV too if he learns pnr)

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    So Meeks contract comes to an end.. and we're back to 13 spots. How long do we need before we have to sign that 14th player?

Personally I prefer Meeks. Didn't see a problem with him, and he hit timely 3's which we needed. I get the idea of a 3rd big in case Serge or Gasol need some rest down the stretch. Boucher is more of a PF. I guess he can play the 5 but he'd struggle against big 5's.

Not a big fan of Gortat but he'd be an upgrade over Moose. He can at least grab rebounds.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Would prefer Meeks in a vacuum but he plays a position of depth for the Raptors and they really could use another 7 footer on the bench for injury/foul insurance.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Gonzz wrote: View Post
    That’s when they were at 12 players. The league mandates they have a minimum of 14.They are at that now.
    Those deals saved a bunch of money even after filling the roster back up because the old deals come entirely off the books since they were traded, while the new deals are rest-of-season deals that are pro-rated down in value to the remaining days in the season.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    were also below our eastern european big man quota
    If Gortat can hoist an ill advised 3 in a Raptors uniform, "Let's NBA" meme should be back too.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Meeks contract expired. Gortat a possibility, mutual interest. - Per Lewenberg,
    Not sure I understand what Meeks showed to not get another 10 day or extension. Too much with Lowry, Lin and FVV coming back?
    I'd find another board hogging big if that's the case.

Man, that would kill JV to see Gortat get a ring here But the rumour is the Bucks are looking to pick him up, reports say nothing immenent. GO GET HIM MASAI, we are not tough enough at centre and he's a better/more serviceable option than Moose was and decent insurance in case Serge ro Gasol goes down.

Man, I'm starting to really hate the Bucks being so good and looking to address their very few weaknesses
    Last edited by G__Deane; Sat Mar 2, 2019, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    For insurance purposes- Gortat is exactly what we need imo. Especially of what’s out there.
    were also below our eastern european big man quota

Leave a comment:

Working...
X