Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    I find it interesting that the narrative of the Raptors excelling with Serge as starting C still survives in spite of that reality ending around when Lowry's insane shooting did (ie months ago).

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    I like Pelton's "solid" more than Lowe's "uninspiring"

Leave a comment:

• Zainab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    New Lowe article:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ar-free-agency

The vibes out of Toronto over the past six weeks have been just a little off. The relationship between Kyle Lowry and Masai Ujiri is clearly not hunky-dory. It never has been. Lowry misses DeMar DeRozan. I'm not sure any of that bleeds onto the floor. Lowry will play his game when it matters. But back injuries and Leonard's load management have short-circuited Toronto's chances to build chemistry. Marc Gasol is an undeniable upgrade, but he further unsettles their rotation.

(Charlotte came close to acquiring Gasol before some last-minute haggling, per league sources. The Hornets had a lottery-protected first-round pick ready for most of this week, sources say. Losing Gasol hurts, but they get to keep that pick, and the East is so bad they might limp into the playoffs anyway. Just pray for Kemba Walker, who has zero help.)

Gasol brings a high-IQ game that can calm Toronto's offense in crunch time of playoff games. Toronto got him without sacrificing a first-round pick, or any essential part of their future. (Delon Wright could do well in Memphis, but he was a luxury for Toronto. The return beyond that is uninspiring for Memphis considering Gasol is a franchise icon. The Grizzlies in the end may have moved a year late.) He is one of the league's very best one-on-one post defenders -- an ideal antidote to Joel Embiid. He can drag Embiid away from the rim on the other end.

But does Gasol supplant Serge Ibaka as Toronto's full-time starting center? The Raptors have thrived with Ibaka there. He can play some alongside Gasol, but it might be too late to shift him back to power forward in the starting lineup. Doing that would slide Pascal Siakam to the wing, and Danny Green to the bench. Siakam can play any nominal position, but the Siakam-Ibaka-Gasol trio is a little antiquated. Toronto has gotten where it is by being rangy and fast, heavy with switchy wings. Some rivals are hoping they trade speed for size.

The right answer might be starting Gasol and Siakam, and I would guess that is where they land. Can they sell that to Ibaka?

Maybe the Raptors can toggle between Gasol and Ibaka depending on matchups, as they did with Ibaka and Jonas Valanciunas. Can they sell that to Gasol? Regardless, Toronto is all-in.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Call the next one, but itll be well after the all star break. Fury is taking us to the DeRozan return game
    How poetic. Take us there to matchup with your boy Fury!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X