Chris bosh on Toronto & 2010 free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Also, if players want more control over where and when they get to play, stop signing 4-5 year contracts. Do the 1-2 year gigs and figure it out that way.
    This is the real answer. Players want the security of a 5 year deal but the flexibility of a 2 year deal. Pick one.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      This is the real answer. Players want the security of a 5 year deal but the flexibility of a 2 year deal. Pick one.
      Not sure how the NBA can fix this. Players run the show. If someone signed a 5 year deal and wants out after 1.. they'll get their wish. And you don't even have to be a super star. Eric Bledsoe for example got his wish and is now playing for a contender.

Comment

Might have had a better point if he'd just said "Andrea. Bargnani." and left it at that.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Not sure how the NBA can fix this. Players run the show. If someone signed a 5 year deal and wants out after 1.. they'll get their wish. And you don't even have to be a super star. Eric Bledsoe for example got his wish and is now playing for a contender.
          Only way its fixed is if an owner drew a hard line and told the player to sit at home for a couple years then
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Only way its fixed is if an owner drew a hard line and told the player to sit at home for a couple years then
            Yeah.. but it won't happen. An owner/GM will succumb to the pressure. You lose assets you can use the longer the player is held out.

Would be great if it ever happened though.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              People from Toronto tend to think Toronto is a lot like New York or LA when it reality it doesnt compare. Toronto does compare to cities like Chicago, houston, Dallas, DC, philly...but nobody wants to go to those places when they suck, either
              Those last 3 no one really wants to go. I would say we are above them.

Dallas has 0 state income tax and they can never get big FAs to go. Although they might now since they have Luka; I think the main reason is that Mavs are also 2nd fiddle compared to the cowboys.

DC, no one ever goes there.

Philly is actually a terrible city. Dirty and old. Depressing unless you want to go see Rocky and people posing next to him everyday.

Comment

The Bledsoe trade was because the Suns, per usual, have no balls. Teams need to tell their player to play or they'll get fined. But if a player doesn't want to be there, you can't force them to stay - happens in all the major sports now.

Comment

Yeah.. but it won't happen. An owner/GM will succumb to the pressure. You lose assets you can use the longer the player is held out.

Would be great if it ever happened though.
                  It's not just that though. Any team that isn't willing to play ball with a players demands is likely to get blacklisted by agents and the union. No teams management wants that, it's a recipe for future relocation.

Comment

Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                    The Bledsoe trade was because the Suns, per usual, have no balls.
                    No teams have balls then.

Comment

It's not just that though. Any team that isn't willing to play ball with a players demands is likely to get blacklisted by agents and the union. No teams management wants that, it's a recipe for future relocation.
                      Management teams worried about being blacklisted and relocated have more problems than contract length. So;

-------original
                      Or you know you could better understand your market, and targets then act accordingly.

Everyone keeps pointing to the same old shit that motivated people that are almost entirely out of the game. Does Devin Booker actually care about championship won before he was born? If he's not trained to repeat the mantra would he tell you flat out he cares more about his brand reach, playing with friends like in AAU, and dope insta locations? I don't know but presuming seems like a recipe for disaster.
                      Last edited by Raptor Jesus; Wed Feb 13, 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        Or you know you could better understand your market, and targets then act accordingly.

Everyone keeps pointing to the same old shit that motivated people that are almost entirely out of the game. Does Devin Booker actually care about championship won before he was born? If he's not trained to repeat the mantra would he tell you flat out he cares more about his brand reach, playing with friends like in AAU, and dope insta locations? I don't know but presuming seems like a recipe for disaster.
                        I gotta admit, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Comment

I gotta admit, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
                          Fair that was unfortunately worded and poorly quoted,

It just seems in general RR and NBA fan base are enraptured by stars choosing their destiny and the ramifications. Mainly that focusing on the end results of players asking for trades could be missing everything that lead to the trade request. Just seems like some do could be made about how a generation of kids, and now young players, just assume you go to south beach and play for championships with your friends.

And if you're Management squaring off against disruptive employee demands it behooves you, I think, to figure how you got to that point.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                            Fair that was unfortunately worded and poorly quoted,

It just seems in general RR and NBA fan base are enraptured by stars choosing their destiny and the ramifications. Mainly that focusing on the end results of players asking for trades could be missing everything that lead to the trade request. Just seems like some do could be made about how a generation of kids, and now young players, just assume you go to south beach and play for championships with your friends.

And if you're Management squaring off against disruptive employee demands it behooves you, I think, to figure how you got to that point.
                            Good points. And I agree, all that went on to get AD to the point where he demanded a trade is significant and requires reflection on the part of management. Personally, I think it all started in the offseason when they decided to resign both Ajinca and Asik to multi year contracts at a combined ~$20M/yr (i think it was around there). Neither of those players deserved an NBA contract at the time, and that consumed money that could have been put to better use.

I don't really have a problem with AD wanting to play elsewhere. I'm just not a proponent of how he has gone about doing it. And, for me, it's no coincidence that this all went down shortly after his dinner with LBJ following a Pelicans/Lakers game. LBJ has a lot of power and influence league wide, and he knows how to leverage it to get what he wants.

Comment

Good points. And I agree, all that went on to get AD to the point where he demanded a trade is significant and requires reflection on the part of management. Personally, I think it all started in the offseason when they decided to resign both Ajinca and Asik to multi year contracts at a combined ~$20M/yr (i think it was around there). Neither of those players deserved an NBA contract at the time, and that consumed money that could have been put to better use.

I don't really have a problem with AD wanting to play elsewhere. I'm just not a proponent of how he has gone about doing it. And, for me, it's no coincidence that this all went down shortly after his dinner with LBJ following a Pelicans/Lakers game. LBJ has a lot of power and influence league wide, and he knows how to leverage it to get what he wants.
                              Absolutely.

I wasn't a fly on the wall, but I'm sure signing Anjica was on overreaction to AD not wanting to play 5. For myriad reasons, like the toll it takes and his skills being better used, in his and/or others eyes, at the 4.

Others on the boards have mentioned, and I agree with the idea that Bron got to a place around the time of the decision that he was going to affect everything he could. At first covertly because he had no idea what or how much he could and now more brazenly. Once AD signed with Klutch it was all on the table. I have no doubt that the dinner was the push over the edge for AD. Paul needed a closer to get AD to sign off on what would turn out to be an ugly divorce.

Comment

No teams have balls then.
                                Pelicans showed some girth.

Comment

Working...
                                X