No announcement yet.

Game #64 Raptors (46-17) @ Pistons (29-31); Sunday Mar. 3rd at 6pm EDT on TSN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for Kawhi, the concern is that this is still an issue come April. He was supposed to be ready to play all games following the allstar break. At this rate, it wouldn't totally shock me to see him miss a playoff game due to load management.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Watched on the Fox Sports Detroit feed. They kept giving Casey all the credit for both Lowry and Siakam becoming good players, lol.
      did you see that segment where Casey and players were blowing smoke up owner's ass. There were clips of him cheering and then talking about "how team had tough stretch but they'll get past it" and then Casey calling him "great motivator" and clips of players nodding. The most cringe shit I have ever seen
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        The one thing I never really understood is why people care more about the playoffs than the regular season. In all of sport, not just the NBA.

I like the regular season. It forms the bulk of the NBA basketball and keeps fans engaged in many ways (rivalries, race for seeding, player movement etc..). Being a top regular season team is an accomplishment for just a select few every year.

But here's the thing: We've already done that.

The team and fans now want to take the next step (go far in the playoffs/championship). So as much enjoyment as everyone gets out of the regular season, if there's something done throughout these 82 games that will work against getting to the finals (for example overworking players to get to 55, 60, 65 or whatever the case may be), that will take a backseat to the ultimate goal, which is to make the conference/NBA finals.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          Of course they do but as long as they win in the playoffs and he re-signs, no one will say anything. If they get knocked out prematurely and/or he moves on, we're going to hear resentments laid bare.

My issue is less with the Raptors per se (though I have my doubts about all this) and more with the chance of this strategy becoming a league-wide issue. If top guys see Kawhi sitting 30 games then they are going to want to do it too (why play 75 games for $30 million when you can play 52?) and, at some point, that will become a big problem for the league.

One funny note, remember last year (or maybe even the year before) when Jack Armstrong was constantly talking about how he didn't like resting players and that it was bad for the game. Have we heard that from him this season? Honestly asking cause I don't know (and am not looking it up) but I don't recall hearing it much at all.
          I don't think its close to setting a big precedence, because most players legit want to play. Like, love the game and would play for free type of deal. They asked Harden about resting last year and he looked at the reporter like he had 2 heads. "I'm a hooper, I want to play as much as I'm allowed to"

To me its just...Kawhi sitting there in his nice clothes while everybody is sweating, diving on the floor, Lowry balling out with so much emotion, not sure how he can be like "meh, rest day"...he clearly is invested in the team, that much is true. If I was Kawhi after witnessing last nights loss I'd call Uncle Dennis and Masai and Bobby and say "No more rest days. Lets go"

It's OK to appreciate we're trying to keep him 100% while also being disgruntled he can't play against one of the leagues hottest teams for "reasons"...some guys here are totally trying to justify it in every way because it makes them feel more comfortable, but really its new territory and it's not normal.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
            I like the regular season. It forms the bulk of the NBA basketball and keeps fans engaged in many ways (rivalries, race for seeding, player movement etc..). Being a top regular season team is an accomplishment for just a select few every year.

But here's the thing: We've already done that.

The team and fans now want to take the next step (go far in the playoffs/championship). So as much enjoyment as everyone gets out of the regular season, if there's something done throughout these 82 games that will work against getting to the finals (for example overworking players to get to 55, 60, 65 or whatever the case may be), that will take a backseat to the ultimate goal, which is to make the conference/NBA finals.
            Some would argue not working on team chemistry at this point IS hurting the post season chances, more than if we played Kawhi last night. I mean we have so many new additions and its a new starting lineup every night. I would really like if Kawhi, Gasol and Lowry achieved an "eyes in the back of your head" kind of knowledge of where the other guy is before playoffs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              FVV starting is palatable when you had JV or Serge at center, because they are probably the 2 worst playmakers on the team. But you've just paid a pretty penny to upgrade the center position to arguably the best playmaker on the team (Gasol). And Lowry and Gasol are just starting to develop some psychic chemistry. Hey, why don't we put the ball in Lin's hands?

Nurse just loves PGs. I would bet he was probably a PG when he played.
              Yeah, but that's why FVV starting would make sense even now. He should not have the ball in his hands. Lin needs it to succeed, which is why him starting beside 3 of Lowry, Siakam, Gasol and Kawhi is madness.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Damn Serge.. he's going to screw everything up for us.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Damn Serge.. he's going to screw everything up for us.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    I don't think its close to setting a big precedence, because most players legit want to play. Like, love the game and would play for free type of deal. They asked Harden about resting last year and he looked at the reporter like he had 2 heads. "I'm a hooper, I want to play as much as I'm allowed to"

To me its just...Kawhi sitting there in his nice clothes while everybody is sweating, diving on the floor, Lowry balling out with so much emotion, not sure how he can be like "meh, rest day"...he clearly is invested in the team, that much is true. If I was Kawhi after witnessing last nights loss I'd call Uncle Dennis and Masai and Bobby and say "No more rest days. Lets go"

It's OK to appreciate we're trying to keep him 100% while also being disgruntled he can't play against one of the leagues hottest teams for "reasons"...some guys here are totally trying to justify it in every way because it makes them feel more comfortable, but really its new territory and it's not normal.
                    Kawhi is definitely into the team even when he's not playing - that's a great sign. This leads me to believe that this load management overkill is coming straight from Masai upon advice from Alex McKechnie. Masai has staked his entire professional reputation on winning in the playoffs and he would be crucified if an Oladipo situation happened.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      So you're saying he's resting due to bumps and bruises as opposed to actual injuries? I mean if that was the case he would be out every other game considering it's a full contact sport. I was responding to a post that indicated he was resting due to injury which isn't indicative of his random on/off schedule through the season.
                      Define injury? Injury is a gray scale, not black and white. You don't think guys miss time with bruises? What do you think a "thigh contusion" or some such is? You don't think players play through or don't play through a whole variety of sprains, strains and other injuries?

He's not taking long stretches off to recover from injuries. He isn't hurt that badly (he has been, he's gotten hurt badly enough a few times to take several games off). He is however also not trying to play every game when there is an apparent benefit to taking a night off every few games due to the minor injuries he (along with most of the team) is surely dealing with as part of the grind of an 82 game schedule. To suggest he is perfectly healthy suggests a lack of understanding of the load a professional athlete's body goes through. And if you accept that he's not perfectly healthy, surely you can see the benefit to his long term health of getting as much time off as possible, without hurting the team's ability to win and develop chemistry by taking an inordinate number of games off, say, resting for a long stretch of games as though he had a singular more serious injury.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Bruh, I'm old school too.... but you, me and Jack are just 3 old guys yelling at clouds at this point. Lebron & agents changed the dynamic of the league with his "NBA players are CEO's of their own brand" mantra. Totally agree that money has irreparably destroyed the game and it's never going back to the way it was. The money is astronomical. After guys get their second contracts, they're set for life and can choose the perfect situation for themselves - whatever that means to them (legacy, warm climate, teaming up, etc...) It is what it is and it's only going to get more distorted. So if you want to go the social commentary route and fix Pro Sports, the answer is simple: stop buying tickets, stop watching on TV and stop posting on forums. Are you willing to do that? That's the only way you can change the impact of money.

So, instead of just pining for the old days, why not try providing some insight on how the Raps can succeed in the NBA these days, when the stated goal is reaching the Finals and not just regular season wins. Sure it would be great if Kawhi wanted to be here and was a warrior like Giannis, but he got exiled to the north against his wishes. The franchise is treating him like a china doll because they need him for the playoffs to justify the gambit, and because of the medical drama that happened with the Spurs. We don't know the full inside details, but they sure do, and those are the cards we've been dealt. And if the Raps went balls out in the regular season and Kawhi got injured and then leaves in the off-season - would Jack be the first one to say we should have kept our loyal ironman, Derozan? Probably.

Sure, Jack is more connected & knowledgable than the average Joe. That's a given. But he's not a true NBA insider, like when the Raps broadcast had Doc Rivers briefly doing color commentary before he got the Orlando coaching gig. TBH, I'd rather have a guy like Richard Jefferson who can get inside scoops the NBA elite and guys who are still playing. Not a big fan, but even Sam Mitchell has more NBA street cred than Jack.
                        I think Guys that played in the modern era, have moreagendas then the older guys.
                        I understand the differences, we all know what creates the problems.

I dont think there is a way to fix it. I have no idea how Toronto can compete. And Jack has said already a few times you have to make that trade. I rmemeber one night at a thing I was talking to Jack for some time about the current state of the team, the NBA, etc. The guy knew his shit, he speaks like a baller, he has lived it and grown with the times.

It's of no matter, my opinions are my own, I get that not everyone will agree, and they are also not mean spirited. I don't dislike Kawhi, I love his game nd LOVE how hard he plays. I agree with him if he feels there are too many games.... where it bothers me, is that I am big on Team, it shouldn't be a question that one shouldn't place themselves above the team. I'm sorry, they are ALL hurting, They ALL have worried about longevity, about naggging joint degradation, micro tears etc.... but the other gys are gutting it out.

At the end of the year, when all is done, all the games played, battles won or lost. If Toronto wins the Trophy, and the champaign flows....the tears flow...... my question to everyone is this, if Kawhi Leonard sat out 30% of the year to stay 100%, does he have the same right to accept the praise for the War won? Of is his contribution one that will always have an asterisk? If any of you, were his teammate, and could hardly walk after that last buzzer, starng down a summer of intense rehab and recovery, while he was fine and healthy..... would you look beside you and feel the same respect for his as an equal, REGARDLESS of his talent.... because talent isn't earned. This is what I am speaking about. About respect, about Team, about sacrifice.

Kawhi Leonard can do anything he wants, its his right.
                        I, or any of his teammates, do not have to agree, and we certinyl do not have to respect it. Spme things in life have hidden value and meaning.

Comment

• I don't think Kawhi is 100% yet. His explosiveness isn't there at all, he's often got no lift at the rim and he's almost entirely using his size + height to score on guys rather than quicks. He's also very choosey defensively, he'll still poke the ball away with his insane reach but he doesn't always look that quick on D.

He's either playing it as safe as he says he is re: the regular season, or he's not all the way back yet. I'd say it's a bit of both but hoping it's more of the former than the latter - then we'd get to see him flip the switch for the playoffs. After being crushed by Lebron's playoff switch every spring, I'd really like to see the Raptors show us one of their own for once.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            I don't think Kawhi is 100% yet. His explosiveness isn't there at all, he's often got no lift at the rim and he's almost entirely using his size + height to score on guys rather than quicks. He's also very choosey defensively, he'll still poke the ball away with his insane reach but he doesn't always look that quick on D.

He's either playing it as safe as he says he is re: the regular season, or he's not all the way back yet. I'd say it's a bit of both but hoping it's more of the former than the latter - then we'd get to see him flip the switch for the playoffs. After being crushed by Lebron's playoff switch every spring, I'd really like to see the Raptors show us one of their own for once.
                            All the way back yet...from what? Dude entered the season 100% healthy. He's been playing now since the summer. He's fine.

Comment

All the way back yet...from what? Dude entered the season 100% healthy. He's been playing now since the summer. He's fine.
                              Solid diagnosis Doctor.

Comment

You don't think Kawhi's playing more like you'd expect from him at age 33 than like he did pre-injury?
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X