Game #64 Raptors (46-17) @ Pistons (29-31); Sunday Mar. 3rd at 6pm EDT on TSN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    To suggest he is perfectly healthy suggests a lack of understanding of the load a professional athlete's body goes through. And if you accept that he's not perfectly healthy, surely you can see the benefit to his long term health of getting as much time off as possible, without hurting the team's ability to win and develop chemistry by taking an inordinate number of games off, say, resting for a long stretch of games as though he had a singular more serious injury.
    To Suggest that he is somehow above the rest of his teammates is pretty irresponsible, and completely ignores the idea of Team, not to mention the entire reason they even place so much value on a Championship Trophy. The Championship is a reward for the men or women in any sort who have fought, scratched and clawed the whole year to reach a goal. Watching the degradation of true Sportsmanship before our eyes is sad. How do you claim to have earned a Championship, if you willingly took off almost a third of the season to rest, while your very teammates with the same rights, same claim to that Trophy, played through all the pain and suffering to carry you along in that Battle?

Nah.

He can sit. But I think it's selfish and soft. If he's hurt, say it and sit him until he isn't.

Other than that, put on a god damned uniform and man up, you can play lazy ass on the bench, and at the LEAST, be there if needed in crunchtime.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      Solid diagnosis Doctor.
      Oh piss oh, you can toss up the same meme for all you claiming he's hurt.
      Its fucking sports, if you can run, play, if not, say it and go get healthy.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        I don't think Kawhi is 100% yet. His explosiveness isn't there at all, he's often got no lift at the rim and he's almost entirely using his size + height to score on guys rather than quicks. He's also very choosey defensively, he'll still poke the ball away with his insane reach but he doesn't always look that quick on D.

He's either playing it as safe as he says he is re: the regular season, or he's not all the way back yet. I'd say it's a bit of both but hoping it's more of the former than the latter - then we'd get to see him flip the switch for the playoffs. After being crushed by Lebron's playoff switch every spring, I'd really like to see the Raptors show us one of their own for once.
        If thats the case, I sympathize, but i think sitting till you're better is the answer.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Solid diagnosis Doctor.
          So he's hurt? You have some confirmation beyond "gut feeling" or "eye test"? Because everybody here wants to go off what the Raptors staff says as gospel, well, they say he's healthy. And so?
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
            Oh piss oh, you can toss up the same meme for all you claiming he's hurt.
            Its fucking sports, if you can run, play, if not, say it and go get healthy.

Are we trying to act like Pop didn’t pioneer this whole “resting guys to have them ready for the playoffs” thing? Tim Duncan was a pussy, in retrospect.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              So he's hurt? You have some confirmation beyond "gut feeling" or "eye test"? Because everybody here wants to go off what the Raptors staff says as gospel, well, they say he's healthy. And so?
              He was visibly limping and clutching his shoulder only 3 days ago (a shoulder he partially tore just last year). But, I mean, I guess he could have been faking it?
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 4, 2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I don't think Kawhi is 100% yet. His explosiveness isn't there at all, he's often got no lift at the rim and he's almost entirely using his size + height to score on guys rather than quicks. He's also very choosey defensively, he'll still poke the ball away with his insane reach but he doesn't always look that quick on D.

He's either playing it as safe as he says he is re: the regular season, or he's not all the way back yet. I'd say it's a bit of both but hoping it's more of the former than the latter - then we'd get to see him flip the switch for the playoffs. After being crushed by Lebron's playoff switch every spring, I'd really like to see the Raptors show us one of their own for once.
                He's super cautious about his health though. Not like Lowry who plays through everything. If Kawhi isn't 100% then I don't think you'd see him out there at the rate we've seen him. Which is what I find odd. He's not shutting it down until he's healthy and he's not playing consistently. It's just random.

Comment

Not gospel, but I’ll believe them over fans like you until proven wrong...No offense.

Comment

All the way back yet...from what? Dude entered the season 100% healthy. He's been playing now since the summer. He's fine.
                    Oh come on! It's obvious Kawhi isn't 100%. He doesnt look as athletic as he was before his injury. He has also been kinda passive on the defensive end. He isn't 100% yet.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Are we trying to act like Pop didn’t pioneer this whole “resting guys to have them ready for the playoffs” thing? Tim Duncan was a pussy, in retrospect.
                      Duncan didnt rest when he was 27

Comment

• Dude is still bitter.

Dwayne Casey on a potential playoff matchup with the Raptors: “It would mean a lot. This is a storied franchise in Detroit with three championship trophies you see every time you walk into the building. In Toronto they’ve never tasted it while fans in Detroit know what a championship is all about”

Comment

Dude is still bitter.

Dwayne Casey on a potential playoff matchup with the Raptors: “It would mean a lot. This is a storied franchise in Detroit with three championship trophies you see every time you walk into the building. In Toronto they’ve never tasted it while fans in Detroit know what a championship is all about”
                          That quote makes no sense other than just to throw a shot. He is talking about championships in a potential first round matchup lol

Comment

Dude is still bitter.

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Duncan didnt rest when he was 27
                              You're right. Timmy was only 23. The situation and timelines are slightly different, but the moral of the story is exactly the same. When it comes to health: make decisions with your head, not your heart.

On April 11, 2000, Tim Duncan tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee in the 78th game of the season. He missed the final four games of the regular season and forced Spurs coach Gregg Popovich into a monumental decision: go with Duncan in the playoffs, or keep him on the sidelines.

Duncan didn't make it easier.

"I was doing everything I could to get ready to play," Duncan said.

He ran sprints up and down the court to show he could still move. But there was a loose bit of cartilage flapping around in his knee. The joint could have locked up at any moment.

Tim Duncan has stayed on a winning track with Tony Parker in a Game 3 comeback. Soobum Im/US Presswire
                              Popovich was just too worried about his asset.

"He was young, a franchise player," Popovich said. "He wasn't just a No. 1 pick. With him, you've got an opportunity to win multiple championships, if you don't screw it up. I didn't know if [the injury] could get worse, or get chronic."

Popovich liked his team, and he liked its chances. He just liked Duncan even more. He told Duncan to shut it down.

"I don't know if it was right or wrong," Popovich said. "But we did it."

Without Duncan, the Spurs took only a single game from the Phoenix Suns in the first round and were quickly dispatched.

Fast-forward to Saturday afternoon at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The Spurs are having the most impressive run we've seen since that 2001 Lakers team. The 36-year-old Duncan is right there in the middle, still putting up double-doubles, while Shaq is on the TNT set in Atlanta and Kobe has his hands full with the young Oklahoma City Thunder.
                              Duncan and the Spurs have become the standard for longevity, a distinction that makes Duncan feel "very fortunate."

"I understand what I'm in, I understand the situation I'm in," Duncan said. "It doesn't happen for a lot of people. The organization, the players, the coach -- in every respect, I've been blessed. I understand it every day, and I appreciate it every day."

And he's come to appreciate Popovich's decision to sit him down in 2000. Even though he might not have liked it at the time.

"He's always been the voice of reason," Duncan said.

We don't know whether Duncan could have pushed the Spurs past the Lakers and to the one prize that has eluded them during this run of excellence that dates back to the 1990s: consecutive championships. We also don't know whether Duncan would have wrecked his knee and turned into another Grant Hill, who pushed his injured body to the limit and found his body pushed him back and down from superstar status.
                              http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/201...njury-pays-off

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Nick nurse even was big enough to make a point of walking over to Casey's bench and shaking his hand this time. Casey accepted it at the time

Comment

Working...
                                X