X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    The one thing I never really understood is why people care more about the playoffs than the regular season. In all of sport, not just the NBA.

Being the best team after 82 games and playing everyone at least twice should be a huge reward.. but it's not. Nobody cares. It's all about who wins the ring. It's those 16 wins in the playoffs that really only matter.

It's why we have load management in the first place. It's why Kawhi can say that the regular season is just practice.

Raptors were the 2nd best team in the NBA last year (after Houston) and got no respect because they got swept in the playoffs. Atlanta wins 60 a few years back and again got swept and were then dismantled.

I mean Golden State wins the most regular season games in history but still lost in the finals. Nobody is giving them that credit. It doesn't matter because they didn't win. The Bulls were therefore better.

New England won 16 games in the regular season but lost to the Giants in the super bowl.. again doesn't matter since they didn't win.

How many times were the Washington Capitals the best team in hockey only to lose to the Penguins in the playoffs?

Because this culture exists in sport.. you pretty much have to only care about getting those 16 wins in the playoffs. And nothing else really matters. If this is how sport operate than you have to treat the regular season as inconsequential unfortunately. Since in theory Kawhi would help us more in the playoffs than DeMar despite how many games they would each play.. you just have to live with it.

Change the culture in sport and I'd probably be as pissed off like some of you. Although if regular season really mattered I probably wouldn't want to do that DeMar trade in the first place. DeMar is pretty good in the regular season.. especially since he's usually willing to play in all 82 games.
    I agree. I guess we just can't have our cake and eat it too.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Then you put him on the IR. What is the reason not to?
    Because we've managed to secure 2nd seed in a very competitive, top heavy Eastern conference, while also giving our best player a chance to be fresh for the playoffs and recoup from his many ailments (again, did people not see him limping and clutching his shoulder?!).

I'd say it's working like a charm - Wouldn't you?
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 4, 2019, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Superjudge
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    This. Are people seriously turning on Kawhi exactly like the Spurs did? Did you not see him limping most of the game, and injure his shoulder (a shoulder he has previously torn I believe), against Portland?

If he leaves, I'm blaming you guys. :P Lol
    Then you put him on the IR. What is the reason not to?

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    The one thing I never really understood is why people care more about the playoffs than the regular season. In all of sport, not just the NBA.

Being the best team after 82 games and playing everyone at least twice should be a huge reward.. but it's not. Nobody cares. It's all about who wins the ring. It's those 16 wins in the playoffs that really only matter.

It's why we have load management in the first place. It's why Kawhi can say that the regular season is just practice.

Raptors were the 2nd best team in the NBA last year (after Houston) and got no respect because they got swept in the playoffs. Atlanta wins 60 a few years back and again got swept and were then dismantled.

I mean Golden State wins the most regular season games in history but still lost in the finals. Nobody is giving them that credit. It doesn't matter because they didn't win. The Bulls were therefore better.

New England won 16 games in the regular season but lost to the Giants in the super bowl.. again doesn't matter since they didn't win.

How many times were the Washington Capitals the best team in hockey only to lose to the Penguins in the playoffs?

Because this culture exists in sport.. you pretty much have to only care about getting those 16 wins in the playoffs. And nothing else really matters. If this is how sport operate than you have to treat the regular season as inconsequential unfortunately. Since in theory Kawhi would help us more in the playoffs than DeMar despite how many games they would each play.. you just have to live with it.

Change the culture in sport and I'd probably be as pissed off like some of you. Although if regular season really mattered I probably wouldn't want to do that DeMar trade in the first place. DeMar is pretty good in the regular season.. especially since he's usually willing to play in all 82 games.
    Intersting insight... In the mega operation that is minor hockey in Toronto. the GTHL.. they give out the only piece of hardware they give out for finishing first overall in the regular season.

The playoff schedule which is run like every other playoff gets you a ribbon.

Before you dump all over this.. consider that literally 10s of thousands of parents and kids live and die from September to tryouts in April in this league.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Casey is also keenly aware that, depending on how the bracket shakes out, the Pistons and Toronto could meet in the first round of the playoffs.

“It would mean a lot,” Casey said. “This is a storied franchise in Detroit. There are three championship trophies you see every time you walk into the building. It’s not like in Toronto, where they’ve never tasted it. The fans in Detroit, they know what a championship is all about, and it’s like, let’s get this thing back on track.”
    that's ex-Raptor head coach with most wins saying this

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied
    I'm cool with him resting as a fan that watches 95% of the games at home in my living room. I've been reluctant to go to a game this year as there is no guarantee he plays, and that would definitely be one of the main reasons why I'd go.

Also, I would actually like it if Kyle were to do the same thing, but he's not wired that way. Kyle has been pegged as a non-playoff player, which deep down I don't think he is. I just think he has limped into the playoffs numerous times and can't play to the level he needs too.

But I agree with Slaw, IF players have an issue with his load management, we will only hear about it if he leaves. It will never make it into the media if he stays, and if it does, I think the player will be out the door quicker than quick.

One thing, I don't know if its been mentioned, but last night we were playing against Zaza. I don't believe Zaza played against them the first time. Not to avoid those players entirely, but Zaza is a dirty player and has put Kawhi out before. Also, this is a team we very well could play in the first round. I don't think its a bad idea to not play the line-ups you will in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    https://i.imgur.com/JFCt8Ne.mp4

he gone

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Why not.? There are 18 games to go and unless the entire roster comes down with health ailments that precludes them from playing at even 50% of strength of those remaining games the Raps are going to finish in 2nd place.

With that actuality in mind Nurse has free reign to see what he has in terms of player rotations in differing situations. Some work out.. some don't.

But when the curtain goes up and its showtime in the playoffs, expect a tested and well thought out 9 man rotation to dominate...
    Based on what we've seen, I agree and I doubt we will see the rotation shorten at all until the first round. In fact, I won't be surprised if we see a bigger rotation and some weird looks even in the playoffs....

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    According to Nurse interviews this week, he is still in experimenting mode.
    Why not.? There are 18 games to go and unless the entire roster comes down with health ailments that precludes them from playing at even 50% of strength of those remaining games the Raps are going to finish in 2nd place.

With that actuality in mind Nurse has free reign to see what he has in terms of player rotations in differing situations. Some work out.. some don't.

But when the curtain goes up and its showtime in the playoffs, expect a tested and well thought out 9 man rotation to dominate...

One of Gasol/Ibalka will start at the 5 .. the other will come in at the 3 min mark.
    Pascal .. Leonard... Green and Lowry will start.

First big off the bench will be the 5 who doesn't get the nod to start the game.
    Next up on the wing will be OG .
    Spelling the backcourt will be Freddy and Lin.
    Last player in .. if he plays .. wil be Norm.

Its not like the coaching staff is totally bereft of ideas on how things will play out in April and beyond.

Nurse and his staff and the players will be totally and unequivocally ready to go.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Mar 4, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Of course they do but as long as they win in the playoffs and he re-signs, no one will say anything. If they get knocked out prematurely and/or he moves on, we're going to hear resentments laid bare.

My issue is less with the Raptors per se (though I have my doubts about all this) and more with the chance of this strategy becoming a league-wide issue. If top guys see Kawhi sitting 30 games then they are going to want to do it too (why play 75 games for $30 million when you can play 52?) and, at some point, that will become a big problem for the league.

One funny note, remember last year (or maybe even the year before) when Jack Armstrong was constantly talking about how he didn't like resting players and that it was bad for the game. Have we heard that from him this season? Honestly asking cause I don't know (and am not looking it up) but I don't recall hearing it much at all.
    Jack Armstrong is so disconnected from the modern NBA it's not even funny. In fact, he was never even part of the old NBA.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post
    Kawhi said it himself, regular season is practice for him and he’ll be ready in the Playoffs. If he sits out for load management then, then we can start worrying. Do his teammates have a problem with him sitting? We don’t know, and based on how the team has played recently, I’d say it isn’t an issue.
    Of course they do but as long as they win in the playoffs and he re-signs, no one will say anything. If they get knocked out prematurely and/or he moves on, we're going to hear resentments laid bare.

My issue is less with the Raptors per se (though I have my doubts about all this) and more with the chance of this strategy becoming a league-wide issue. If top guys see Kawhi sitting 30 games then they are going to want to do it too (why play 75 games for $30 million when you can play 52?) and, at some point, that will become a big problem for the league.

One funny note, remember last year (or maybe even the year before) when Jack Armstrong was constantly talking about how he didn't like resting players and that it was bad for the game. Have we heard that from him this season? Honestly asking cause I don't know (and am not looking it up) but I don't recall hearing it much at all.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    LOL, I feel like this conversation is turning into a question of ethics.

Can you love to win and not love the game?

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Not that Casey needed it, but do you think more teams get up for playing the Raps when they make the decision that they don't need him to beat your team? It's kind of an insult when it;s not a back to back and he takes the "easy" teams off .... easy teams that have beaten the Raptors twice recently
    Honest answer is yes.. but not for the reasons you laid out.... Teams like the Pistons need wins badly. Any wins. Ugly wins. Good wins. Wins over teams that are tanking. If your presented with an opportunity to take a game from a team that you on balance have no business winning against because they are resting a primo player for their reasons.. you do everything you can to steal a win that you might not otherwise get.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Lin starting was completely mindboggling. Nurse made some sort of statement that he wanted to use him as the spot starter because he usually does with FVV. Try to follow that logic. The bench struggles with lack of ball handling because FVV works best as an off-ball threat. Meanwhile, FVV has success with the starters, whether starting at PG or SG (ie for Lowry or Leonard), because of those exact strengths and ideal role. So the team goes out and adds Lin to play beside FVV, because he has wildly different strengths and ideal role - he can create in PnR and score inside and drive and kick, and isn't so much a spot up shooter. And so you plug Lin into FVV's spot starting role and expect good things to happen?
    FVV starting is palatable when you had JV or Serge at center, because they are probably the 2 worst playmakers on the team. But you've just paid a pretty penny to upgrade the center position to arguably the best playmaker on the team (Gasol). And Lowry and Gasol are just starting to develop some psychic chemistry. Hey, why don't we put the ball in Lin's hands?

Nurse just loves PGs. I would bet he was probably a PG when he played.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    It would have been nice to have Kawhi of course.. we probably would have won. But again.. if Kawhi was wired to want to play every game.. than he'd still be a Spur.

Would you rather have DeMar for 80+ games + playoffs? or Kawhi for 60+ games + playoffs?

I know which one I'd take. Even if we lost every game Kawhi sat. Give me the 3rd or 4th seed with a healthy Kawhi over a 1st seed with a healthy DeMar. We've seen the latter play out before and it always ended brutally.
    LOL, I feel like this conversation is turning into a question of ethics.

Can you love to win and not love the game?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X