No announcement yet.

Game #64 Raptors (46-17) @ Pistons (29-31); Sunday Mar. 3rd at 6pm EDT on TSN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptors go from 5 pt opening favourites down to 2 already.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Kyle's battled injuries, quite a bit older, leads league in charges, and has a history of battling fatigue and injury in playoffs, takes no load maintenance. Kawhi now taking one out of every 3rd game..
      I'm actually a bit surprised Kawhi is wired like this. He seems to love the sport and sitting is not playing. Maybe he doesn't love the sport as much as we think he does or should?

Comment

I’m not surprised. The shoulder thing combined with a hard fought game followed by a presumably easy opponent. You know Kawhi will play against Houston and lock Harden up.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I'm actually a bit surprised Kawhi is wired like this. He seems to love the sport and sitting is not playing. Maybe he doesn't love the sport as much as we think he does or should?
          Spurs fans were saying that he loves the sport but he doesn't like to play injured. He wants to feel close to 100% when he plays.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Don't want to go into tanking into too much here to derail this thread.. but doesn't every NBA team sort of have to go through a rebuild? I mean father time is a thing. Dynasties end. Players only get 4-5 year deals max and need to make decisions for themselves. Even the Warriors have to look themselves in the mirror soon. Curry will be 31 in a couple of weeks. When he's 34/35 he's not going to be the same Curry.

Losing because you have a bad team is essentially tanking. I mean if you can pull off sucking while keeping good players all the power to you. Dallas never wanted to tank but they still sucked.. and were able to get Doncic because they had a bad team. They then traded one of their lottery level prospects (and a future pick) for another star in Porzingis. I doubt BC wanted to be really bad... but he built a lousy team around Bosh and just became bad when he left. It was a good strategy because it worked out well for Masai.

Ultimately I guess it's how you define "tanking". Philly was obvious when they traded Holiday and then drafted Noel despite being hurt.. and then Embiid despite being hurt. But in my opinion teams that try but suck are also tanking. Like Washington this year who held on to Beal and made a move to get Ariza who was older than Oubre.

GM's love the "unknown". A pick in today's NBA is worth so much more than it has in previous years. That's why you see 2nd rounders being moved now more than ever. And if you have a lottery pick.. in many cases that seems to have more value than an actual all-star level player.

Anytime tanking comes up it becomes a discussion about semantics. There is the Philly style tank which nobody likes. But then there is the Memphis or Wizards style tank that nobody talks about. Memphis is giving heavy minutes to Conley and Noah.. but they still suck. And will get a good pick out of it.
            To the bold, Mark Cuban was fined for admitting that the Mavericks were tanking a couple years ago.

Tanking to me is simply "not trying to win - or hoping for a loss". So I do think there is a distinction.
            I don't think the Wizards are in that camp - Ariza is a significant upgrade over Oubre, and has significant market value. They could have traded him and Beal and started the tank.
            I don't think Miami has ever been in that camp. Utah has never really done it. I don't even really put Memphis in that camp either, even though they traded Gasol. Several other teams as well.

The Knicks, however, are 100% in that camp. Sitting Kanter when he was healthy. Giving heavy minutes to shitty players. Playing shit players over good players, and saying you're "giving your young guys minutes". Trading good players for crap players. Those are signs of a tank in my opinion.
            Last edited by Joey; Sun Mar 3, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Spurs fans were saying that he loves the sport but he doesn't like to play injured. He wants to feel close to 100% when he plays.
              Yeah that's weird too though. Athletes get hurt and rarely will be 100%. Especially this time of year.

I mean I can't complain because I want Kawhi to stay. So you give him what he wants. But it's still really weird for a professional athlete like him who would rather sit than play if given a chance.

Comment

Maybe its an insecurity thing, he feels like he'll hurt the team if he feels he isn't healthy enough to play.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                  Maybe its an insecurity thing, he feels like he'll hurt the team if he feels he isn't healthy enough to play.
                  Honestly he plays very physical and refs don't call anything. He got mauled on every drive last game. So if he doesn't feel it so be it.

Comment

I feel like if he is hurt, put him on the IR.
                    If he isn't, he has moved to play 1, sit 2.

I'm not even remotely impressed with all this, I'd tell him to his face if I were a teammate. It's ridiculous.

"Load Management". More like "Pantload management".

Comment

I guess we might as well just accept he gonna sit every 3rd game now
                      Or every second game lately.

I'm happy for him that he has learned that 1-2 games a week is best for him, and his needs. I'm sure his teammates are thrilled to pick up the slack, grind it out, play hurt, lose points off their next contract etc..... I'm sure they are all ok with it.

Kawhi is just making sure he is 100% in shape for free agency so he can sign where he wants for top buck. No use getting hurt and ruining that chance just to help ouit the Raptors.

Comment

Honestly he plays very physical and refs don't call anything. He got mauled on every drive last game. So if he doesn't feel it so be it.
                        DeMar got mauled a lot too and he played in a lot of games. Kawhi is built like a rock too. Anyway not everyone is the same. If he wasn't like this than we would never have gotten him. So it is what it is.

Comment

DeMar got mauled a lot too and he played in a lot of games. Kawhi is built like a rock too. Anyway not everyone is the same. If he wasn't like this than we would never have gotten him. So it is what it is.
                          Demar was special in that regard. True definition of iron man. Wasn't fan of his game but as far as health and ability to perform while injured he was elite.

Comment

DeMar got mauled a lot too and he played in a lot of games. Kawhi is built like a rock too. Anyway not everyone is the same. If he wasn't like this then we would never have gotten him. So it is what it is.
                            this
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Toronto is at a disadvantage when trying to attract top tier talent in free agency due to weather, customs, being a non-American city etc. But what we do have is extremely player friendly load management plans. Can Masai actually sell this as a thing to top free agents? Cause that th only way this makes any sense.
                              Personally, the only way I can rationalize this Load Management business is that it is part of a "Kawhi, please, please sign with us next summer" because it makes absolutely no basketball sense. Kawhi is the only top tier FA on our team we are trying to re-sign and he is the only player on our team being Load Managed every 3rd game. Coincidence? I'm worried this is going to back fire. Six weeks and 21 games to go...IMO basketball needs should start to take priority as every game he sits is a lost learning opportunity.

Comment

Kyle's battled injuries, quite a bit older, leads league in charges, and has a history of battling fatigue and injury in playoffs, takes no load maintenance. Kawhi now taking one out of every 3rd game..
                                Kyle did not miss a whole year because of an injury. Get over it, he will continue to rest. Nurse said so himself. I bet when he's beasting in the playoffs and we get to the finals you won't have anything to say. Or if he ends up getting an injury like Oladipo because he refuses to listen to the DOCTORS and over works himself you'll be pissed. If the doctors and the organization think it's best for his health to take days off and not overwork himself then so be it.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X