Game #64 Raptors (46-17) @ Pistons (29-31); Sunday Mar. 3rd at 6pm EDT on TSN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    And yet we still have the #2 Record in the entire league! I think this is getting blown too far out of proportion. If we were hovering around .500 and Kawhi was still sitting, or middling around the 4-6 playoff spots, then sure, 100% understand peoples anger ... but ya ... we are 4 games away from hitting 50. We are 46-18 through the hardest bit of the schedule, and looking very good going forward.
    It's to be expected, when the rest is increasing, and we're starting to lose those games, in close fashion, against guys like ex coach Casey.

It's only natural people wish he would have played.

Like I said earlier, it's fine to think he should be playing a little more at this time, and yet still very happy he's on the team. They're not mutually exclusive, and it's where I'm at
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      that's ex-Raptor head coach with most wins saying this
      Another ex-Raptor backhanded bad mouthing the franchise. He's not wrong, just no better than McGrady or Bosh at this point.
      Screw Casey .... their last championship was 15 years ago lol

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
        (Jack Arnstrong) He's plenty connected, that you don't see that is disturbing, the guy is one of the greatest minds in NBA broadcasting.
        Any actual evidence of that?
        I don't know every mind in NBA broadcasting but there must be an awful lot of really really really dense ones ....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
          Another ex-Raptor backhanded bad mouthing the franchise. He's not wrong, just no better than McGrady or Bosh at this point.
          Screw Casey .... their last championship was 15 years ago lol
          Casey wanted and felt he deserved a job for life, like Pop, or a college coach. If he brought us a championship, I would fully agree. Heck, even a couple hard-fought ECF losses would have sufficed. But that last playoff exit brought the most shame and humiliation ever. And we went into that series as favorites.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            Casey wanted and felt he deserved a job for life, like Pop, or a college coach. If he brought us a championship, I would fully agree. Heck, even a couple hard-fought ECF losses would have sufficed. But that last playoff exit brought the most shame and humiliation ever. And we went into that series as favorites.
            Like when a Chinese kid gets an A-

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Like when a Chinese kid gets an A-
              lol. Masai is our Tiger Mom.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Oh come on! It's obvious Kawhi isn't 100%. He doesnt look as athletic as he was before his injury. He has also been kinda passive on the defensive end. He isn't 100% yet.
                ok wait..whats the baseline for judging his athleticism? explosiveness? vertical leap? if so, hes never been known for either of these.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  ok wait..whats the baseline for judging his athleticism? explosiveness? vertical leap? if so, hes never been known for either of these.
                  Not being able to walk without a limp?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Some would argue not working on team chemistry at this point IS hurting the post season chances, more than if we played Kawhi last night. I mean we have so many new additions and its a new starting lineup every night. I would really like if Kawhi, Gasol and Lowry achieved an "eyes in the back of your head" kind of knowledge of where the other guy is before playoffs
                    Oh for sure. There's a clear downside from him sitting. Even with seeding doesn't matter as much cuz we're locked in at 2, the chemistry is the main thing. They now have to find a balance between giving reps with the others and keep him healthy and where that line is not clear because physiology/human biology is not an exact science. I too feel like he sits too much sometimes, so trying to see the reasoning/benefits of that.

In a perfect world this team with all the new players would have another year and a training camp with everybody gelling. The talent is certainly there, but it feels like the synergy needs time to brew.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      Do you really think that if he was really injured he would be playing a game here or a game there? No, he would be off for a month or whatever to fully heal before getting back on the court. This schedule seems more random than anything else which is the frustrating part. And the last minute notice of his playing status just adds to the frustration fans are having with him.

Masai better start marketing the Raptors as a team that gives their stars these special load management schedules, in hopes of attracting other elite players.
                      Listening to Coach Nurse during recent media sessions, the Raptors have mapped out Kawhi's load management schedule for the remainder of the season. It includes the back-to-back games "obviously". The stated goal is to stay ahead of the curve. Nurse implies Kawhi is healthy and the goal is to keep him healthy.

Casey's views on load management: “[Having a consistent lineup has] helped us, offensively and defensively; guys playing, practicing. getting in a rhythm, understanding rotations, knowing when they’re going in the game,” said Casey. “We’re trying to get where Milwaukee, Toronto and Golden State, some of those teams are right now.

He quickly shut down the idea of shutting anyone down.

“No, no, no. We’re playing,” he said. “You got your uniform on, you’re playing. You’re getting paid twice a month and we’re here to make the playoffs … all our guys, if they want to give [Pistons owner Tom Gores] back some of his money for taking those days off, that’s one thing, but we’re here on a mission and trying to create something. We’re in different places as far as so-called load management.”

As Casey points out, Detroit is fighting for a play-off spot and his players, including Griffin, seem motivated to get there. Conversely we appear satisfied finishing second in the East. Nurse mentioned watching the Western Conference and a desire to finish ahead of GSW or whoever finishes first. Casey's comments about players sitting out for rest are humorous, however talking about consistent line-ups, rotations and playing time is something I fear is going to come back to haunt us. We are, in Nicks words, still in experimental mode. A prime example, why didn't OG start instead of Lin. Such a simple decision that may have played a big part in costing us the game.

Comment

Are we trying to act like Pop didn’t pioneer this whole “resting guys to have them ready for the playoffs” thing? Tim Duncan was a pussy, in retrospect.
                        No no, I get that, but Duncan didn't sit anywhere near the same amount, and they used to catch a lot of heat for that. I admit I don't know the rules here, but I am bewildered about how toronto has been allowed to even do this. It's a star driven league, you can't just deny the fans the actual product.

Comment

If the Kawhi for DeRozan trade revealed anything it's that the casual fan is way more happy with winning 50 regular season games and exiting with embarassing playoff sweeps, as long as a famous American sports star validates our way of life by pledging his undying allegiance to us. Casual fans don't really care about basketball in this country, and they care even less about championships.

It's a tiny group of hardcore fans (like here on RR) and Masai that wanted to take the risk to win it all. I'm not even sure if Rogers/Bell/Tanenbaum supported the DeRozan trade, tbh, or if Masai has simply earned their trust at this point.
                          Where to begin.

So the guys here who on't like Kawhi sitting out this much are casuals, who simply don't understand the game or league like some others, or the American Fanbase?

So I'm Canadain and played Hockey in some form from 4-46..... I love the game and know it pretty well, yet if the Leafs started managing Austom Matthews "Load" and he sat out 30% of the games, healthy or not, I would totally be ok wit that because I understand the game, am not a casual, and I'm a Canadian sports fan?

Nope.
                          Nope.

Nopers

Nope.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            And yet we still have the #2 Record in the entire league! I think this is getting blown too far out of proportion. If we were hovering around .500 and Kawhi was still sitting, or middling around the 4-6 playoff spots, then sure, 100% understand peoples anger ... but ya ... we are 4 games away from hitting 50. We are 46-18 through the hardest bit of the schedule, and looking very good going forward.
                            #1 in the NBA is the team above Toronto.
                            The team that gives Toronto fits.
                            The Team....you prolly want home advantage against. You hi tthe "easy" part of the schedule and think you're gonna catch these dudes, then you have to win those games.

Detroit was 8-2
                            Detroit beat Toronto last game.

Say it doesn't matter i guess..just like loses in Octeber don't mean anything untio its march ans you're gasping for a playoff spot.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                              Listening to Coach Nurse during recent media sessions, the Raptors have mapped out Kawhi's load management schedule for the remainder of the season. It includes the back-to-back games "obviously". The stated goal is to stay ahead of the curve. Nurse implies Kawhi is healthy and the goal is to keep him healthy.

Casey's views on load management: “[Having a consistent lineup has] helped us, offensively and defensively; guys playing, practicing. getting in a rhythm, understanding rotations, knowing when they’re going in the game,” said Casey. “We’re trying to get where Milwaukee, Toronto and Golden State, some of those teams are right now.

He quickly shut down the idea of shutting anyone down.

“No, no, no. We’re playing,” he said. “You got your uniform on, you’re playing. You’re getting paid twice a month and we’re here to make the playoffs … all our guys, if they want to give [Pistons owner Tom Gores] back some of his money for taking those days off, that’s one thing, but we’re here on a mission and trying to create something. We’re in different places as far as so-called load management.”

As Casey points out, Detroit is fighting for a play-off spot and his players, including Griffin, seem motivated to get there. Conversely we appear satisfied finishing second in the East. Nurse mentioned watching the Western Conference and a desire to finish ahead of GSW or whoever finishes first. Casey's comments about players sitting out for rest are humorous, however talking about consistent line-ups, rotations and playing time is something I fear is going to come back to haunt us. We are, in Nicks words, still in experimental mode. A prime example, why didn't OG start instead of Lin. Such a simple decision that may have played a big part in costing us the game.
                              So if your keeping score at home Casey last 24 hours took shots at: nurse, Raptors franchise history, and now Kawhi Leonard

Dwane ain't playin
                              Last edited by KeonClark; Mon Mar 4, 2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                                Any actual evidence of that?
                                I don't know every mind in NBA broadcasting but there must be an awful lot of really really really dense ones ....
                                Nothing I can copy and paste for ya bud, just the luxury of meeting the guy a coiple times, drinking beer for a half hour with him once...and almost running him over one day. He coached one of my High School ball rivals at Niagara, we gotto talk about some good days, days I remember well. He is fascinating to listen to because he has a deep well of hoops smarts, but for an old guy, it was ike talking to my best buddies about Basketball.

Maybe others are like that to, I can't say, I never met um. Not really my point bud, so why are you making it my point.

Comment

Working...
                                X