Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME #65 Houston Rockets vs Toronto Raptors on Tuesday March 5th, 2019 at 8:00 pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zak24gege
    replied
    Gasol -30 18 mins, OG -30 14 mins, Lin -22 11 mins, Powell -16 10 mins, McCaw -15 10 mins...Gasol gets 1 rebound. 7-1 CN Tower, doesn't move. Our guys in Memphis don't seem to have a problem fitting in and contributing!

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Powell's play has dropped off a cliff since the ASG. He needs to be eliminated from the rotation like CJ was before he was traded. Lin is garbage too but we're screwed until Fred is back. So can't really do much there. Just continue to play Lowry 40+ mpg I guess.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    What's the problem?

“Just the chemistry, lineup changes – one time Marc is in, one time Serge is in there, some guys are hurt, guys are in and out, still figuring it out, some guys still learning the plays,” said Raptors guard Danny Green. “So many different lineups, so many different faces, trying to gel together is a big part of the reason why but at this point, no excuses. We still have to find ways to play better regardless of who is on the floor, we have to find ways to pick each other up.”
    Plus, Nurse plays 10-11 guys a game. It makes zero sense. The all bench lineup also needs to stop.

Just cut down the rotation to 8-9 guys in the playoffs. The starting 5 + Ibaka, OG and VanVleet. If they need a wing defender, then play McCaw. He is a SUPERIOR defender than Powell. But it seems like Nurse has a man crush on Powell the way he uses him. Someone tell Nurse that Powell is not Lou Williams.

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

What are you talking about? They've had at least two practices since the Portland game. They even flew to Detroit for one.
    This is what Stephen Brunt said last night on McCown's show. Talks about how important getting rest and clearly said no practise on the off days and no game day shoot arounds. May explain some of the confusion out there? Now this was from Brunt. If someone saw them practise or has tape showing them practising then Brunt is feeding us Rap fans a load of BS.

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

We said that at the end of December. And then again after the all-star break. At this point, Nurse is what he is: he just loves to tinker, hoping to find some innovative magic. And that tinkering usually involves injecting an extra ball-handler where it's not necessary. Expect the episodes of confusion to continue right into the playoffs. Gasol looks really confused and he's a super high IQ player. And Lin is completely bewildered out there. He's a high IQ replacement level guard and he's never looked this bad before. There's definitely a communication problem happening.
    The communication comment makes me recall the time Nurse declares FVV injury situation is improving. FVV is asked about Nurse's comments and he replies sarcastically something like "Really, OK whatever he say's...". Shortly afterwards Fred is out 3w + for wrist surgery.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Hopefully we start seeing some improvement soon...seems like its kind of killing the traffic around here too, kind of a shame when playoff push is starting up. This would have been better to wait until like August to fuck everything up lol but what do I know

Its much more readable/usable on a PC where I'm currently posting...everybodys names are on the right like the old days and quote is easily accessible etc. Seems like this forum style is not designed for mobile phone.
    Secret plan to force everyone to download the mobile app.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yep. RR braintrust out here like Nurse, still experimenting.
    Hopefully we start seeing some improvement soon...seems like its kind of killing the traffic around here too, kind of a shame when playoff push is starting up. This would have been better to wait until like August to fuck everything up lol but what do I know

Its much more readable/usable on a PC where I'm currently posting...everybodys names are on the right like the old days and quote is easily accessible etc. Seems like this forum style is not designed for mobile phone.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Is the thread not updating on the everything Raptors page for anyone else? It still says the last post was planet Mars at 9 last night and I gotta click to find these posts
    Yep. RR braintrust out here like Nurse, still experimenting.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Yeah last post was G_Deane at 10pm last night.. at least that's what it showed for me. Had to click to page 29 of this thread to see the new stuff.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

yup for me it's G_Deane
    Showing me for me too. And there's no way to jump to "last page"
    Last edited by G__Deane; Wed Mar 6, 2019, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Is the thread not updating on the everything Raptors page for anyone else? It still says the last post was planet Mars at 9 last night and I gotta click to find these posts
    yup for me it's G_Deane

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post

With the rotations, I don't think this is still 'trying some things out' that he's going to take into the playoffs. It's 'trying to find something that's going to work until FVV comes back'. He's been trying a lot of different rotations since the trade deadline, and honestly no rotation that he's tried has been reliable. At some point that's not on him, that's just that this isn't a well-built roster right now. This isn't experimentation for the sake of experimentation, it's experimentation by necessity. The starters have been great whether with Ibaka or Gasol, but you can't just play a playoff-style rotation yet or you'll burn those guys out.

I'll have to disagree. The fact that FVV is out doesn't mean you need to play 10 guys every night, or play Mccaw/OG/Lin (and sometimes Norm) at the same time. Benching for 9 minutes between the 3rd and 4th quarter your best defensive anchor (serge) that sparked a 20pt comeback does't have much to do with the fact that FVV is out imo. The roster has a ton of talent (aside from maybe not enough 3pt shooting), so it's up to the coach to put it all together.

I agree that if you have a playoff rotation style starting now you may burn guys out, but you need to get some games in with that, to gives these guys reps. I'd shrink it to 8 or 9 right away, then give a ton of run with Kyle + Serge and Kyle + Gasol. That's your 1-5 two-man game that is the core of our offence, so I'd start there.

Then to avoid burnout, you give a rest game to these 3 guys every now and then against the Atlanta's of the world, and plug in Boucher & Lin just to fill the void. You can still use these games to hone in plays for Kawhi + Siakam + Green. But in games vs. quality opponents (like the 2 OKC games coming up), everyone suits up, and you run it exactly like you would in the playoffs. In-depth specific game prep, in-game adjustments, tight rotations, playing guys longer minutes if they're hot, everything. Make them feel comfortable in their strengths and aware of where they can be exposed. Then watch detailed film, and repeat. Then repeat again.

Basically at this point, you either play your starters like you would in the playoffs (high, intense quality minutes), or you give them the day off. Don't waste Serge's energy playing him on a unit of Lin/Mcaw/Norm/OG , that doesn't accomplish anything. Teams like GSW, Rockets, Bucks, OKC have been playing together for quite a while now. They know their teammates with their eyes closed. We need the brew familiarity like they have been, rather then constantly trying new stuff hoping to re-discover the wheel in the middle of March.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post

I heard today that since the Portland game, no practices or game day shoot arounds. I worry that Kawhi looks tired too. Right now this is our team and FVV is the saviour!
    What are you talking about? They've had at least two practices since the Portland game. They even flew to Detroit for one.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Another loss on Nurse.
    --stop playing 10 guys every night, it's March. Get in rhythm for the post-season.
    --Don't play McCaw/Lin/OG together. There's not enough scoring on this lineup. All these players are averaging 7pts or less this season as a Raptor. Regardless of who the other 2 are on the court, this lineup will go nowhere and will bleed points. They will keep you afloat against lesser teams but it will not work i the playoffs.
    --If you have a defensive beast (Serge) with 5 blocks, tons of altered shots, on pace for 15+ boards and it's energizing the crowd and the team to boot, play him an extra 3 to 4 minutes. It's not gonna kill him. You don't play again till Friday. Don't take him out with 2 minutes left on the 3rd and wait till only 5mi left in the game to put it back in.

- They are going to keep playing 10 guys every night.
    - They will keep playing those guys together because they want to use the bench and McCaw is basically the placeholder for FVV.
    - Guys need their rest.

Don't worry. None of this matters. Once the playoffs start then they just shorten the bench, flip a switch and it's all good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X