Picking #13 Ain't So Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking #13 Ain't So Bad

Check it out. Went back the last 29 years to check and see who went in the 13th spot assuming we don't move up in the lottery and check out some the names from past seasons that were at the lucky 13 position.

No. 13

2009 Tyler Hansbrough
    2008 Brandon Rush
    2007 Julian Wright
    2006 Thabo Sefolosha
    2005 Sean May
    2004 Sebastian Telfair
    2003 Marcus Banks
    2002 Marcus Haislip
    2001 Richard Jefferson
    2000 Courtney Alexander
    1999 Corey Maggette
    1998 Keon Clark
    1997 Derek Anderson
    1996 Kobe Bryant
    1995 Corliss Williamson
    1994 Jalen Rose
    1993 Terry Dehere
    1992 Bryant Stith
    1991 Dale Davis
    1990 Loy Vaught
    1989 Mike Smith
    1988 Jeff Grayer
    1987 Joe Wolf
    1986 Dwayne Washington
    1985 Karl Malone
    1984 Jay Humphries
    1983 Ennis Whatley
    1982 Eric Floyd
    1981 Danny Schayes
    1980 Rickey Brown

It ain't so bad. (But it ain't so good either).

Hopefully we draft the next Kobe Bryant or Karl Malone, or even the next Richard Jefferson or Corey Maggette, as opposed to the next Thabo Shefolosha or Julian Wright, or heaven forbid the next Sebastian Telfair or worst, Marcus Hairlip.
    RR OG

Comment

A Kobe or a Karl would go a long way.

Comment

Wouldn't Thabo be exactly what this team needs? a lockdown gritty wing defender?

I also really like Julian Wright, he just hasn't got enough burn in NO or its the wrong fit for him.

Comment

Corliss and DD who toiled for the Raptors albeit not for too long were not too shabby either.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Notice that the farther you go back, the more really good players slip down to the 13th spot. As scouting improved, fewer All-Star slipped through the cracks. Sleepy Floyd, Kobe and Karl Malone would most likely be taken earlier today. In the last ten years, there's only been one ten year starter taken at the 13th spot, Richard Jefferson, and I felt he should have gone higher that year- I liked him better than Jason RIchardson, who went 5th that year.

That's the main reason I'm not all that anxious about keeping the pick. More than likely, the Raptors won't have all that much to choose from at that spot. You never know, though. Someone could drop.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

A 13th overall pick might be considered lucky if the Raptors were able to obtain another mid first rounder and thus able to take more chances on this pick or the other pick.

In all likleyhood a 13th overall pick will either be a serviceable back up or a complete bust, and it ain't going to make a dent in the win column.

Comment

Just don't get too excited, Raptors got a huge bust with 8th pick (do you remember Haffa, ehh? ). Is not only scouting, is also a lot of luck, hopefully our bad luck with BC bets will end this summer

BTW, wasn't BC the one who drafted Marcus Banks? If this is the case, I really hope BC will have a better inspiration this time with 13th pick!

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                  BTW, wasn't BC the one who drafted Marcus Banks?
                  Danny Ainge drafted Marcus Banks as part of a draft day deal with the Memphis Grizzlies
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    A Kobe or a Karl would go a long way.
                    Agreed Coby Karl is just what the Raptors need

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                      nice!

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                        BTW, wasn't BC the one who drafted Marcus Banks? If this is the case, I really hope BC will have a better inspiration this time with 13th pick!
                        Man, people just want to blame Colangelo somehow for Banks. Colangelo not only didn't draft him, but until Banks came to Toronto, Colangelo had never traded for, signed, or even had heard of Marcus Banks¹.

¹ Okay, maybe he'd heard of him.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                          I was talking about having a kobe steak for me and a Karl Malone for the Raptors. I'm not sure what you're talking about...

Comment

Working...
                          X