Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Raps Fans, Still Interested in Beasley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Raps Fans, Still Interested in Beasley?

Good read courtesy of Bill Simmons from ESPN who puts a little perspective on Beasley and his value right now.

105. Michael Beasley
    Hate to throw the "bust" word around after two years, so let's flip this around. You're watching the playoffs right now. Pretty competitive, right? Other than scoring, you need to rebound, defend and play hard to advance. Beasley can't do any of those three things. Play an undersized power forward against him (like Glen Davis in Game 2) and he gets eaten up. Stick a small forward on him (like Paul Pierce) and he can't post that guy up. Stick a traditional power forward on him (like Kevin Garnett) and he can't beat that guy off the dribble or prevent the guy from scoring on the low post. So what's left? I don't see any conceivable scenario in which this guy has a meaningful NBA career. Could he put up stats on a bad team? Of course. Anything else, I'm not seeing it. All of Pat Riley's fidgeting during the 2008 draft now makes perfect sense.

If Dwyane Wade ends up leaving this summer, it's because of two reasons:

A. The teams that ended up with O.J. Mayo (3) Russell Westbrook (4), Kevin Love (5), Danilo Gallinari (6), Eric Gordon (7), Brook Lopez (10), Jerryd Bayless (11), Robin Lopez (15), Serge Ibaka (24), Nic Batum (25) and George Hill (26) wouldn't trade those guys for Beasley right now. That's a borderline catastrophe. They got the 13th-best guy in the draft at No. 2.

B. Riley didn't sell his Beasley stock in time. The window was February, when a panicking Suns team happily would have green-lighted Beasley (making $19.4 million from 2011-2013), Udonis Haslem's expiring deal and a protected 2010 No. 1 for Amar'e Stoudemire. If you're Miami, why not? Amar'e gets a taste of Miami for a few months; you get the chance to offer him a sixth year and more money; worst-case scenario, you have his sign-and-trade rights this summer; you can make a 2010 playoffs run with the Wade-Amar'e combo; and you potentially have a 2010-11 nucleus of Wade, Amar'e and Free Agent Star X.

If you're Wade, would you stick around and put your basketball prime in the hands of someone who just botched those two decisions? Or would you flip teams and opt for a safer situation? More on this later.
    Source - Click here

I still think he's got some offensive talent, but he might be that dreaded tweener. I thought his future might be a SF, but he simply might not have the quickness for that position.

And for all those that bash Colangelo as being a bad GM, keeping in mind that he still ended up getting the 4th best player with the first pick. That's way better than getting the 13th best player with the second pick. Does that make Riley a bad GM?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I still love the Beas, his prime is just pushed back a couple years because of maturity issues. He still has too much talent not to have a couple monster seasons. Would I want to sign him to a long term deal, uhhh no, but next year and the following contract year are going to be huge.

Maybe Wade hurt his development, he got thrown into the lion's den and didn't get a couple seasons to find his game, make mistakes without being scowled at and get through that score first, play defense later phase out of him that all good young players go through.

Comment

Never have been. Too many personal/attitudinal issues mostly. If the guy cant subjugate his game for Wade nor listen to him, the coach, possibly Riley and his own mentor Haslem (in his first years in the league)....why would onewant to reach for the possibility he might be a cornerstone of a franchise (Raps) looking for one. As the piece pointed out Riley made a mistake drafting him...but it shows that even a selfconfident nba guy like Riley can be swayed by the consensus evaluation that the 1st overall pick was seen as a tossup by many between Beasley and Rose. Maybe they were in athletic ability and skill but seems not in leadership and personality.

Comment

after seeing him in the playoffs and keep hearing about all the negative talk, it is my conclusion that Beasley will be a bad fit for the Raptors. The last thing we need is another player that doesn't play a lick of defence and likes to shoot instead of attacking the basket.

Also Jay Triano strikes me as a coach that won't be able to handle the personality of Beasley. To me Beasley is alot like Lamar Odom when he came into the league and it took a strong coach like Phil Jackson and strong team mate like Kobe Bryant to finally get this guy to play hard and a team concept ball rather then filling out the stats sheet and calling it a day.

If Colangelo gets Beasley its like we are going full circle to get back Charlie V.

Comment

No Beasley, no way.

Comment

ESPN hits a new low with that article by Simmons. ESPN was Beasley's biggest supporter and hyper in the world before that draft. In fact they had him on their web pages and sports shows on cable more than the POTUS is on ABC. They had him as the next coming of G-d only knows who. At the time of the draft if Riley had passed on Beasley ESPN would have tarred and feathered him out of Miami.

ESPN total hypocrites - G-d do I hate that network
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

we need defense so HELL NO

Comment

ouch
                  i still say i take the package from miami because they hold a conditional pick from the Raps

Comment

INFO wrote: View Post
                    ouch
                    i still say i take the package from miami because they hold a conditional pick from the Raps
                    So you'd take a crap deal simply to get the Raptors draft pick back? Personally, I'd rather Miami keep the pick and get a better package back for Bosh.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X