Can the Raptors Buy a Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Raptors Buy a Pick?

I think it would be a good idea for the Raptors to draft both a forward and a guard this draft especially if Bosh bolts and so does Amir (maybe 2 forwards if the latter also occurs).

The Grizzlies have 3 picks this up coming draft and I can't see them being committed to 3 new salaries for the next 3 years given that most of their restricted young talent contracts will have to be renewed and given a substantial raise.

I'm guessing Memphis will probably be looking to deal at least one of their picks, either looking to move up or for a veteran. The last thing they need right now is more youth. The Raptors could conceivably buy a pick, but it's more common for 2nd round pick to be simply purchased outright. A lot of times, teams want something more than just money back for a 1st rounder. Not always, though, so you never know.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      The Griz might trade a pick, sell it, or draft a foreign player for the purpose of leaving him over there for development (translation: to avoid having the guaranteed contract on their books).
      Commercial Appeal

This caught my eye. The Grizz have the 12th pick, the Raptors the 13th. If they could buy the Grizzlies' pick or work some sort trade in moving a guy like Marco and cash their way then I'm all for that. It would allow them to add a big body or two in the paint or go get a great reserve guard in Xavier Henry. Greg Monroe may be on the board at 12 but Orton and Whiteside certainly will be. If Bosh is out they could take both of them shift Amir to the 3 if they can re-sign him. Suddenly the would have enough rebounding and defense elsewhere in the paint to make up for what Bargnani currently lacks. Another option would be to go get Henry and Whiteside and solidify the wing while adding a potential starter/main rotation guy in the paint. I think this is a deep draft and there are going to be steals found outside the top ten, thoughts?
      Marz wrote: View Post
      The pick Memphis is more than likely to sell is their 25th or 28th pick (it'd probably net them $3 million). I don't think they'd sell the 12th pick, and I doubt they'd give it up for Marco.
      I said for Marco and cash. I think there is zero chance they would give it up for Marco.
      Marz wrote: View Post
      Right, but the article says they don't want contract obligations. Any cash included would go towards offseting Marco's salary. It makes more sense, fiscally speaking, for the Grizzlies to sell their 25th pick for cash and have it offset their lottery pick's salary.
      They would only be on the hook for one season and an expiring contract is marketable for some other trade down the line... Say the 2011 trade deadline?
      Raptors Republic Forums: "Draft Prospects (See Pg.7: Early Entries Announced!)"

Comment

Given the quote from the Commercial Appeal, it wouldn't surprise me if the Griz took Motiejunas at 12. Then they leave him in Europe to avoid paying him until Randolph's contract comes off the books. When Motiejunas does come over (if he really turns out to be Bargnani lite offensively) he will form a nice duo of bigs with Gasol banging and crashing the boards.

Comment

If Bosh is out they could take both of them shift Amir to the 3 if they can re-sign him. Suddenly the would have enough rebounding and defense elsewhere in the paint to make up for what Bargnani currently lacks.
          Amir can play the three about as well as Bargnani can. In other words, not at all.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Shift Johnson to the #3. I have heard that before. There is a guy who posts on one of the Pistons forums who said for years before the Pistons traded Johnson that he was better suited to play the #3.

I have no doubt that he could defend that position but on offense he has a long way to go. In addition he said the was intending to bulk up even more over the five month break before training camps open in Oct.

I think at this point the #4 makes the most sense for him. Adding another 15 pounds of muscle, improving his mid-range game, his low post moves including developing a turn around jump shot will go a long way toward improving his offense as a #4. I really don't see him as a #3 at this point. I think he has passed the point of no return with regard to that. Just my opinion.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Amir can play the three about as well as Bargnani can. In other words, not at all.
              He an play it a lot better on defense but not anywhere near as good on offense. So it is probably a wash and you are probably correct on this.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The Grizz have young talent and will be looking to get better sooner rather than later. If they resign Rudy to the max, I could see them wanting to make a play for Jose.

Trade Jose for thier number 12 and another guy to make the salaries even out.

Comment

I read somewhere they want Mayo to improve his PG skills over the summer. Sounds like they will explore him playing the point. Me personally, I'd take Mayo at the point any day over Calderon. He's a great pure scorer but he's also a gifted play maker.

Comment

I've been hearing this for years now, somebody please tell me when Colangelo has brought a pick. Isn't it like, never?

Comment

I read somewhere they want Mayo to improve his PG skills over the summer. Sounds like they will explore him playing the point. Me personally, I'd take Mayo at the point any day over Calderon. He's a great pure scorer but he's also a gifted play maker.
                      There's a HUGE difference between playing SG, and being a good playmaker there, and being a PG. It usually takes years to be able to make the transition, and the player generally struggles in the meantime. And it usually doesn't work. Personally, I don't know why teams try to do it. Mayo is a great scorer, and moving him to PG would restrict this. Keep him at SG where he is productive.

Calderon would actually be a great addition to Memphis, because he is a playmaker first, which is what the Grizzlies need.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X