Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug Smith Must Have Taken A Basketball Pill Or Something

He was not only right on with this column but pretty funny to boot

A: Okay, well, let’s go through this player by player who’ll be back (and I’m not putting Rasho or Patrick in here because I’m 100 per cent certain they won’t return; I will include Antoine because he’s at least a piece they can dangle in trades)

DeMar DeRozan

One of the coaches once told me that if DeRozan could ever get ball-handling skills that would allow him to take his man off the dribble, he’d be spectacular because he can always find a way to beat the second defender. So if he walked around L.A. all summer dribbling a ball, I’d be fine with that.

Sonny Weems

The guy’s made two of 18 three-pointers he’s tried in his brief career. We saw a fine mid-range jumper and a willingness to defend; what I’d like to see is more range on that jump shot and if he stayed in the gym every day until he made 250 three-pointers, I’d be okay with that. (Comment: He might never get to go home for at least the first week.)

Reggie Evans

Um, not sure what kind of passing drills there are to do in individual workouts but if he spent most of his summer working on them, I think that'd be a very wise idea.

Marco Belinelli

His wonky jump shot is fun to watch, unless you’re a coach. I’d get him in the gym shooting jumper after jumper after jumper to find some consistency of form. It doesn’t have to be textbook style, but it has to be the same style all the time.
    To read the rest go to link. By the way I think he finally has it correct about Johnson

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...e-raptors.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Regarding DD....they didnt know that about his dribble BEFORE they drafted him? What kind of workout did they give him?

Comment

LOL, funny and very true.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        Regarding DD....they didnt know that about his dribble BEFORE they drafted him? What kind of workout did they give him?
        Maybe the Raptors scouts don't read Draft Express

WEAKNESSES:

- Lacks significant offensive polish
        - Offensive creativity
        - Ability to create own shot
        - Advanced ball-handling skills

- Defensive awareness
        - Defensive fundamentals

- Average basketball IQ
        - Experience
        - Not ready to contribute immediately
        - Not productive enough
        - Older than class peers
        - Relatively unproven
        - Poor assist/turnover ratio
        - 3-point range
        - 3-point shooting percentages
        - Ability to shoot off the dribble

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demar-DeRozan-1319/
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Obviously they knew that. Were YOU expecting DeROzan to be polished when he came into the league, because I"m pretty sure the Raptors didn't. DeRozan wasn't drafted for what he could do right away, but for what they felt he would be able to do in the future.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

+1

Comment

To all the people who be hating, Get over it! Thank Me Later...
              http://twitter.com/demar_derozan

Comment

For a 2 guard, having an above average dribble capability by the time you get drafted into the Assoc. is a MUST....especially at the 9 spot. That is if the team wants a SG to create a shot or get out of trouble without the ball getting stolen. I suppose one can improve ball handling in various situations while on-the-job (after getting drafted).

All I am alluding to is that there was much more weight given DD's athleticism than some of the other important needs (superior ball handling, finishing strong at the rim off the dribble, defense, 3pt shooting etc). And I just mentioned the dribble. Yes he looks pretty slamming the ball down on an oop and his midrange is not bad but so does Sonny W. and he was a 2nd rounder.

Here's hoping he has a steep learning curve on the deficiencies. And oh god...we have another twitterer...its a disease...narcissism is all it breeds alongwith a capacity to degrade a conversation or thought transmission to a visual verbal bite of 140 chrs. necessitating the obvious limited substance. Seems like DD is a bit thin skinned. Another x for a team requiring some hard nosed types.

Comment

For a 2 guard, having an above average dribble capability by the time you get drafted into the Assoc. is a MUST....especially at the 9 spot. That is if the team wants a SG to create a shot or get out of trouble without the ball getting stolen. I suppose one can improve ball handling in various situations while on-the-job (after getting drafted).

All I am alluding to is that there was much more weight given DD's athleticism than some of the other important needs (superior ball handling, finishing strong at the rim off the dribble, defense, 3pt shooting etc). And I just mentioned the dribble. Yes he looks pretty slamming the ball down on an oop and his midrange is not bad but so does Sonny W. and he was a 2nd rounder.

Here's hoping he has a steep learning curve on the deficiencies. And oh god...we have another twitterer...its a disease...narcissism is all it breeds alongwith a capacity to degrade a conversation or thought transmission to a visual verbal bite of 140 chrs. necessitating the obvious limited substance. Seems like DD is a bit thin skinned. Another x for a team requiring some hard nosed types.
                  When you draft a one and done player you get a player with deficiencies. Even KD was only a shooter and scorer in his rookie season and he has now several seasons later become great scorer and a very good all around player.

I know that long time Raptors fans are sick and tired of having the Raptors hope for a favorable ping pong bounce. So I understand their frustration with the DeRozan pick.

It is still my position that he will become a very good NBA player. Will it be during the time of his rookie contract and while he is playing for the Raptors? We will just have to wait and see

Comment

I would beg to differ that DeRozan's current lack of handles is an immediate big problem.

He was the fifth option on offense on a team that had one of the top offenses in the league. No one that the Raptors could have drafted last season instead of DeRozan would have been the 1st, 2nd or probably even 3rd option of offense.

DeRozan's biggest problem from a Raptors's perspective was his lack of adequate defense. However how players can you name in NBA history that have been great defenders or even average defenders at the #2 spot in their rookie season that were not among the top five picks?

Comment

Working...
                    X