Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLSE Responds to Raptors Name Change Idea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ark23 wrote: View Post
    This whole huskie thing is stupid. Do you really think they didn't think of this already? The reason we aren't the Toronto Huskies is because there is already the minnesota timberwolves.
    But what about the Magic and the Wizards. They both deal with magic. But I agree with you that the Huskies thing is silly

    Comment


    • #17
      Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Well, the Maple Leaf is on our national flag and is a symbol of our country. The Blue Jay is a an actual bird that is native to the area. The Raptors (or Velociraptor) is an extinct dinosaur from what is now Asia and has absolutely no connection to Toronto, or even Canada, what-so-ever. It would have made about as much sense to call then the Toronto Pandas.

      As for buying new gear, I haven't bought any NBA article of clothing since the Grizzlies left Vancouver (and then I just bought one jersey as a keepsake), and couldn't care less about new gear. I just think the name is stupid, childish and would like the Toronto basketball name to have SOME sort of meaning or connection to the city or country.
      The Lakers team name has nothing to do with Los Angeles. "The Lakers' franchise was founded in 1946 in Detroit, Michigan before moving to Minneapolis, where the team got its official title from the state's nickname, "Land of 10,000 Lakes.""(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Lakers"

      I do not think that the name of a city's sports team has anything to do with where the city is located. Does the Magic have anything to do with Orlando, does the Wizards have anything to do with Washington, does the Hawks have anything to do with Atlanta?

      Comment


      • #18
        How many Grizzly bears have you guys seen in Memphis? How much fear do the NYC Knickerbockers(socks) strike in you? New Jersey has been hitting anything but net lately.
        Last edited by Apollo; Tue May 11, 2010, 08:20 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          The Jazz got their nickname when they were in New Orleans which of course made perfect sense at the time just as Thunder does for Oklahoma; i.e. there are a lot of lightning and thunder storms in Oklahoma.

          When the New Orleans team decided to move to Utah they wanted to change their nickname like the Thunder did to something more appropriate for the new location in Utah.

          However, the NBA commissioner at the time Larry O'Brien refused to let them change it. I don't recall the reason. Its probably available on the Net if someone wants to take the time to look it up unless one the members knows the reason.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

          Memories some so sweet, indeed

          Larger Photo of the avatar



          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

          Comment


          • #20
            Orlando is home to the "Magic Kingdom"

            Comment


            • #21
              How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

              LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!
              RR OG

              Comment


              • #22
                James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

                LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!
                So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?
                    I'm pointing to the fact that very few sport team names have any relevance to their city. The Wizards being one of the many.
                    RR OG

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Darien wrote: View Post
                      Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.
                      Where's Jurassic Park? Is that were Jurassic 5 met or something? What does the Park have to do with the Raps? Is it because J5 are a "Rap" group?
                      RR OG

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        No. Naming an NBA franchise after a popular movie at the time is stupid. Changing it to something more timeless just makes sense. I'd go for something else, but the Huskies name is out there already, so it makes more sense than just making up a new one.
                        Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

                        Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

                        Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Ark23 wrote: View Post
                          Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

                          Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

                          Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO
                          Just to point out, a Husky is a domesticated dog. A wolf is well, a wolf. Same family but quite different really.

                          There are a few bird monikers in baseball: Blue Jays, Cardinals, Orioles. I don't think it really matters if they are similar, the logos and colors are what differentiate them.
                          The Double Champ is here!
                          Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                          Raptors: Larry O'Brien

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It's bad enough we have a team of softies, we have to a brand name like "Huskies"? I guarantee you we will the be a laughing stock of the league just like the clip show.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X