Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W.
    replied
    It reminds me a little of the Simpsons episode where Lisa creates a test for mice where if they try and touch the cheese, they get a shock. They learn very quickly not to touch the cheese. Homer comes by and keeps getting shocked because "this time" it won't shock him.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I can't believe you guys are OK with guying him the MLE.
    Me either. It boggles the mind. This is a terrible idea.

Leave a comment:

• Arsenalist
    replied
    I can't believe you guys are OK with guying him the MLE. What do you think he could possibly bring to a team that is gutted defensively? He's effective in Boston because he's turned into option #3 or #4 on a very good defensive team. This will be nothing but disaster, we should learn our lesson and not sign has-beens anymore.

Leave a comment:

• DonCarlos
    replied
    This would be a ridiculous move. No way this should happen. Having a 38-year old RayRay on the team is not going to do anyone any favours.

The Raptors need to look at what the Toronto Blue Jays are doing. Stockpiling young talent, getting out from under huge salary commitments, one baby step at a time. It'll take a few years to undo the mess, but the team will be much better off for it in the long run.

Acquiring and overpaying veteran players and crossing our fingers that they have some gas left in the tank (O'Neal, Marion, Hedo) and giving huge extensions on not-completely-proven players (Bargnani, Calderon) is making Bryan Colangelo start to look more like J. P. Ricciardi than a respectable NBA GM.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    He'd be great here. He's held up well but singing him for 3 years is risky. I think this would be almost a last resort signing for both the Raptors and Ray.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Knight
    replied
    Yes please to Jesus Shuttlesworth.

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    Mack North wrote: View Post
    A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.
    they did it to dell curry if i don't recall...?

Leave a comment:

• James Ballswin (Realizar)
    replied
    I like how Smith made his "If I were GM" statement about giving Ray-Ray the full MLE and immediately second-guessed the logic of it by realizing that it would leave the Raps unable to sign any additional FA to further improve the team - especially if we get nothing in return for Bosh.

I'll add that signing Ray-Ray to the full MLE would be the equivalent of BC giving Jason Kapono the full MLE in 2007.

As such, I don't agree with Doug.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I would sign him in a heart beat even at 35. Ray has never been about athleticism. He will be able to knock down shots at 40. My only concern would be him staying in front of his man. If they feel he will be able to do that at 36 and 37 then I'm on board. I do feel he will probably land on a legit contender but stranger things have happened.

I think obvious choices for him would be coming off the bench in L.A. and Orlando but I would not discredit a team like the Jazz or even the Thunder.

Leave a comment:

• MangoKid
    replied
    Ray's a consumate pro. We'd be lucky to have a guy like that on our team. He's still very productive and a dead-eye shooter. Not to mention that he ices his free throws. I think he'd want to sign with a contending team however.

Leave a comment:

• dn66
    replied
    Bad idea. I don't like it. Specially since, the only way
    to get him would be to throw much more money at him
    than anybody else.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Ray ALlen has fallen off the last couple of years. If it weren't for the big playoffs, so far, Allen would be a lot lower on people's list. I don't like this idea, at all. It smacks of desperation. Ray Allen has a lot of mileage, isn't nearly the defender he used to be and may be ready to fall off a cliff, in terms of production. This is just what Cleveland tried to do. Simply try to get by year by year, instead of having a long term plan.

Nope, don't like it at all.
    Since he has been with Boston

2007-08 - mpg36--ppg17.4
    2008-09 - mpg36--ppg18.2
    2009-10 - mpg35--ppg16.3

Yes he had a decline this year but not that much compared to his first year with Boston.

I agree that the Raptors shouldn't sign him unless they get him for less than the full MLE for three years with the third year a team option.

However, I think that there is good chance he will get more than the full MLE and the Raptors should not go there.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri May 14, 2010, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TM Williamson
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.
    Agreed. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't address any of the Raptors areas of weakness.

I'd rather spend the MLE on someone who can defend or rebound, or both. Last I checked we were pretty stocked in the shooting department.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Mack North
    replied
    A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X