Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Can't Trade Pick

from eric smith's blog:

13. Toronto - Though I initially thought the Raptors would look to deal this selection, with a little digging I have found out that Toronto cannot trade its pick because there is the potential the Raps could owe Miami that first-round pick next season. You cannot trade first-round picks in consecutive seasons (unless you have an additional pick). Toronto can, however, draft someone and then trade his draft rights. So that's where the "trade" that I speak of could into the equation.
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/eric_smith_blog.html

so we have to draft somebody that's a lock, whether we keep him is not.

if anything it looks like we may look to acquire an additional first rounder.

good news...?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

No big deal here.

The Raptors can make a deal with a team before the draft. Each team picks for the other team and then they swap players so that each team gets the guy they want for the money they want to spend.

No big deal. Its done all the time.

However, I am not sure if the Raptors can draft someone on draft day and then trade him that day to another team for cash or a non-drafted player that day because of the rule sited above by Smith. Unless the Raptors are getting another first round pick back from that draft they may have to wait a while before trading their first round pick because of this rule. I am not sure about this.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I don't really care about if we can make the playoffs or about our salary cap, the number one thing this team needs fixing is the entire effort/chemistry/personality issue. Our fan base will be alienated by our players if they can't play together and not pay respects to us while they are on the street. We'll stop our booing bit by bit if they start improving that area.

Can some new draft picks inject some better personalities on our team, like "stand-up people" who drag their teammates together ?

Comment

I thought the Raps were pretty good guys/citizens on the street. Apparently not?

Comment

They can move the pick as long as the make a pick later in round one... Obviously they could trade up as well.

Comment

I honestly don't even care about the pick we get, I mean it's not like we gonna draft any stud or anything like that. I don't know if Derozan is ever going to be the player we wanted him to become.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, this just means that any trade involving the Raptors pick can't officially go down until after the pick is made. So a deal would be agreed to in principle, but not finalized until after the draft, similar to when "we" drafted Roy Hibbert a couple years back.

I don't think this has a big impact on whether or not the pick gets traded, just on the process of doing so if we do trade it.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                I honestly don't even care about the pick we get, I mean it's not like we gonna draft any stud or anything like that. I don't know if Derozan is ever going to be the player we wanted him to become.
                That's pretty pessimistic. Colangelo has found numerous excellent players later in the draft. Steve Nash and Stephen Jackson are two that come to mind right away.

What did you expect from DeRozan? I know I got exactly what I was expecting coming into the season. He's a project who only played one year of college and struggled through most of that until near the end of the season where he began to lead his team and they won some games they weren't expected to win. I feel next season will show a great improvement in his game.

Comment

TM Williamson wrote: View Post
                  similar to when "we" drafted Roy Hibbert a couple years back.
                  who we clearly should have kept, but i'm not even sure we would have drafted him had it not been for indiana
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                  X