• Whos Better: Chris Bosh or Pau Gasol?

NBA / May 26, 2010 / 10:00 am
    Who’s Better: Chris Bosh or Pau Gasol?

By Dime Magazine

CHRIS BOSH (by Austin Burton)

PAU GASOL (by Adam Flomenbaum)

We argue. You decide.

http://dimemag.com/2010/05/whos-bett...-or-pau-gasol/
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed May 26, 2010, 11:14 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

bosh is a better offensive player, but gasol is more of a complete player..

defensively, gasol is much better than bosh...neither are great leaders, but gasol is still better than bosh...

if i wanted a pf for one game, i would take gasol over bosh but if we are talking longterm, i would take bosh because of his age...

Comment

I'd take Bosh in any case where scoring needs to be done, honestly Chris Bosh and Dirk are the only two PFs today that can score at will but defence-wise I'd choose Gasol in a heartbeat, even though last night he couldn't guard Amare at all.

Comment

Bosh is ten times better than gaysoft, bosh is the #1 guy and gets all the attention from every opponent. U think if bosh was played one n one and not doubled teamed all day he wood avg 30pts. Gasol is a great post up player and all, but bosh has it all the post moves, jump shot, and drive. Neither is that great defensiveley, but gasol is better on d. With that said we will have to see bosh with lebron or wade and see how he dominates since he wont be doubled teamed all the time

Comment

Bosh is the better player. No one raved about Gasol's defense until he landed in a strong defensive system in L.A. You drop Bosh down in L.A. and he'll look like an all-defense player over night. Bosh got a lot of compliments about his defense at the Olympics. In fact it was one of the things he was credited most for. He has no one helping him in Toronto right now.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you any more, Apollo. Anyone who disagrees will just find out for themselves if he joins Kobe or LBJ . I'll even go as ar as to say he'll make an All-Defensive team within two years if he joins on of them.
            The Double Champ is here!
            Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
            Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

A00715890 wrote: View Post
              bosh is a better offensive player, but gasol is more of a complete player..

defensively, gasol is much better than bosh...neither are great leaders, but gasol is still better than bosh...

if i wanted a pf for one game, i would take gasol over bosh but if we are talking longterm, i would take bosh because of his age...
              You should really look into changing your avatar dude. We're in a Raptors forum and if you're a real Raps fan you should have no love for a division rival, especially one such as the Celtics.

Just a thought.

And I realize I have a Cowboys avatar but it's a different sport all together.
              The Double Champ is here!
              Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
              Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

Gasol has proved he can be the second best player on a championship team, I don't see how anyone can argue Bosh is better. There is no way Bosh will ever be the best player on a championship team and his best case scenario is to accomplish what Gasol has already done.

Bosh might be better than Gasol, but he hasn't proved he can integrate into a winning system or co-exist with another star, until Bosh wins a ring or even a playoff series, its pretty hard to pick Bosh.

Bosh all defensive team in two years is pretty bold since he is only getting older, slower and more encumbered by his wonky knee, but as the defensive anchor to the Redeem team in Beijing he was playing over Dwight Howard.

Comment

gwapstyll wrote: View Post
                  Bosh is ten times better than gaysoft
                  holy shit what are you? 12?

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                    Gasol has proved he can be the second best player on a championship team, I don't see how anyone can argue Bosh is better. There is no way Bosh will ever be the best player on a championship team and his best case scenario is to accomplish what Gasol has already done.

Bosh might be better than Gasol, but he hasn't proved he can integrate into a winning system or co-exist with another star, until Bosh wins a ring or even a playoff series, its pretty hard to pick Bosh.
                    So Gasol deserves more respect than Bosh because he lucked into getting dealt to the Lakers? Come on now, Bosh has proven he can integrate into a system with stars, he proved it at the Olympics. No player on that team complemented the rest like Bosh did. He turned into the glue guy, doing a lot of hard work on the board and on defense while scoring when asked to do so, which was far less than he was used to coming from NBA. He outperformed Dwight Howard and almost all other bigmen and forwards. He's proven it, he's got a gold medal and dozen of articles written by dozens of different people praising his efforts and productivity in those games. Gasol is a step behind Chris Bosh in the figurative sense and many behind in the literal sense.

Comment

The fact that most people seem to be picking Gasol illustrates the playoff bias people have. Players always look better when they're still playing in June. It doesn't mean they are. I bet if asked Raptor fans if they would have traded for Goran Dragic before the playoffs, most would have said no. Now, I'm betting most would want to. He's the same player he was in February, but he looks a lot better now because he's helping his team try and get to the FInals.

If Gasol wasn't traded to the Lakers, would everyone still feel the same way about him? He's a better defensive player than Bosh, but it's not like he's ever going to make any All Defensive team. He's good, but not great. And he can focus on defense more than someone like Bosh, who is asked to shoulder much more of the scoring burden.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It is truly baffling how much Pau Gasol is overrated now that he's in LaLaLand. The guy has never even averaged 20 and 10 over a season in his career, the definitive benchmark for a big man. His best year was 06-07 when he managed 20.8 and 9.8, both career highs. (except for the 11.3 RPG he grabbed this season)

I don't care if you have a wonderful IQ or are a superb passer, you simply cannot be the best big man in the league (as some people like to anoint him) if you can't either score, rebound, or defend at an ***elite*** level.

Chris Bosh and Dirk Nowitzki can score at an elite level. Dwight Howard can rebound and defend at an elite level. Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan were once able to do all three at an elite level. I'm sorry, but Pau Gasol is just not in the same category as these players.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          The fact that most people seem to be picking Gasol illustrates the playoff bias people have. Players always look better when they're still playing in June. It doesn't mean they are.
                          If this isn't called "The Hedo Theory" it should be from now on.

To be more accurate it should be modified to read "Players always look better when they're still playing well in June."

Though on the other hand you have to admit: in June the stakes are higher, the competition fiercer, the pressure greater. So it would only be natural for a player's performance to be more impressive (whether the rest of his team got him there or not). You can't knock Gasol for that. But I do think Bosh is better.

I also think these playoffs have greatly boosted Dragic's confidence. He's not the same player he was in February.
                          Last edited by Mess; Wed May 26, 2010, 06:01 PM.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post

Bosh all defensive team in two years is pretty bold since he is only getting older, slower and more encumbered by his wonky knee, but as the defensive anchor to the Redeem team in Beijing he was playing over Dwight Howard.
                            First of all, Chris Bosh hasnt been the second best player on an NBA team since his rookie season, so I'm not sure how he's supposed to prove he can be the second best player on a championship team. If you're suggesting that no one can be as good as Pau Gasol until they get traded to an elite team featuring the best player of our generation, then I don't really know how to argue that. Lebron hasn't proved that he can be the second best player on a championship team either. Kevin Durant hasn't proved that he can integrate into a winning system or play with another star. So is Pau better than those two guys too?

Secondly, the notion that Chris Bosh couldn't be the best player on a championship winning team is constantly referenced, and it is totally outrageous. Chauncey Billups was the best player on a championship team. Paul Pierce was the best player on a championship team. Championships (and playoff wins, and wins in general) are a team accomplishment. I understand that Bosh is supposed to be the leader of this team, but there are very few players in this league that could have won much of anything while surrounded with the talent Bosh has been surrounded with.

The argument that Gasol is better than Bosh due to team success is totally unfair, in my opinion. When Gasol was in a similar situation (Memphis) his team also atruggled mightily, and he was less effective than Bosh individually. Comparing team success when one plays for Toronto and one plays for the Lakers is comparing apples to oranges. The question is "who is the better player?", not "who plays with Kobe Bryant?".

Bosh. Not even close.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                              If this isn't called "The Hedo Theory" it should be from now on.
                              Funny. I was going to mention Tukoglu.

To be more accurate it should be modified to read "Players always look better when they're still playing well in June."

Though on the other hand you have to admit: in June the stakes are higher, the competition fiercer, the pressure greater. So it would only be natural for a player's performance to be more impressive (whether the rest of his team got him there or not). You can't knock Gasol for that. But I do think Bosh is better.
                              Yes, you have to be playing well in June, and the stakes are definitely higher, then, but there are numerous players that have earned their money simply on one of two playoffs. Mike Bibby made an incredible amount of money because he had a big playoffs at the right time. And speaking Turkoglu, I didn't even think he'd opt out of his contract until they went to the Finals. He was having a down year until then.

I also think these playoffs have greatly boosted Dragic's confidence. He's not the same player he was in February.
                              Yes, that is true. He is better than he was in February, but he's certainly not the player, at the moment, that many probably think he is.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X