X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    replied
    Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    For me it has been about life style for years and that is why I gave up tens of thousands if not hundreds thousands of dollars by retiring early so that I could do some things that I wanted before I was too old to do them. Believe me, I haven't regretted it for one minute.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on some good old Hedont but I will say this, doing what makes you happy is underrated in this day in age. More people should do it.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    I am not saying that what I am suggesting is his top option. All of this goes back to the original article which doesn't even mention it as a possibility when Turk himself said that his attorneys were working on a buyout as a possible solution to not have to play for the Raptors anymore.

Turk has a new baby and his wife supposedly isn't too big on living in Toronto. Maybe she isn't too big on raising their child in North America?

It is not unusual at all for women to be very picky on where they want to raise their children even it means having less money. Not everyone or nearly everyone in the world is driven by money first considerations. I haven't been for years and I know that there are many more like me.

For me it has been about life style for years and that is why I gave up tens of thousands if not hundreds thousands of dollars by retiring early so that I could do some things that I wanted before I was too old to do them. Believe me, I haven't regretted it for one minute.

So all I am saying is that the article was remiss in leaving this out as a possibility not that I think it will happen but that it is a possibility as remote as you may think it is.

That, that that's all folks:
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jun 7, 2010, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    2. Obviously he can't play for another team while he is under contract to a NBA team. However, if he gets an offer from a FIBA team he can go to BC and say "Look buy me out for $.20 on a dollar because I don't want to come back and play for Toronto or any team that you might trade me to" So is BC going to tell him to stick it and therefore be stuck with all that cap hold and no player? Of course not. He will try and negotiate a buyout.
    I'm not arguing that. I'm just asking you how are you so sure Hedo is going to get a sweetheart deal overseas that would prompt him to let the Raptors off the hook like that? Also, why gamble with an non-guaranteed contract?

3. The salary cap will be about $56.1 million. So if you tie up $10 million and get no player for it you are in effect trying to put together a winning team in 2010-11 with a $46 million salary cap and if Bosh and Johnson walk the Raptors will be in deep sheet. Of course that is the worse case scenario and most likely will not happen. However even the best case scenario with an effective $46 salary cap is not very promising if the Raptors want to make the playoffs in 2010-11 unless BC can pull off a miracle S&T for Bosh.
    I think this is a non-issue. Business will go on as usual but what does Hedo do when Mr.Banker repossesses his mansion in Orlando or some other sort of over excessive thing he's on the hook for? How is Mrs.Turkoglu going to feel about potentially losing out of $10M because hubby can't get over himself? Pretty bad timing if you ask me seeing as the owners are getting ready to lock the players out after next season. A man with expensive tastes sure could use all that money to tuck away to weather the coming storm...

5. A lot of things happen that have never happened before. In fact things happen every day that never happened before. I know of at least two finals records that were broken in last nights game. Most block shots by a team and most three point baskets made by a player. Neither of those numbers had ever been achieved before last night, but they sure did last night.
    We're talking money, Buddahfan. Money controlled by a board of directors placed there by shareholders who care primarily about the bottom line. A $8.6M payoff on $43M isn't a bad deal considering the situation but I think the scenario you're proposing is not realistic. I don't think Hedo wants to leave the NBA and I don't think he wants to gamble on tens of millions of dollars. If he loved playing overseas so much and he felt comfortable with how pro players are treated over there and could overlook the horror stories told by others then he had an ample opportunity last summer to peruse that. There wasn't even a whisper about him talking to pro teams overseas.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jun 7, 2010, 05:49 PM. Reason: Trimmed it a little

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    1. We don't know what kind of contract he may get offered by a FIBA team. I doubt that either one of us is an expert in FIBA contracts. So you are only hoping that he won't get a good contract offer from a FIBA team

2. Obviously he can't play for another team while he is under contract to a NBA team. However, if he gets an offer from a FIBA team he can go to BC and say "Look buy me out for $.20 on a dollar because I don't want to come back and play for Toronto or any team that you might trade me to" So is BC going to tell him to stick it and therefore be stuck with all that cap hold and no player? Of course not. He will try and negotiate a buyout.

3. The salary cap will be about $56.1 million. So if you tie up $10 million and get no player for it you are in effect trying to put together a winning team in 2010-11 with a $46 million salary cap and if Bosh and Johnson walk the Raptors will be in deep sheet. Of course that is the worse case scenario and most likely will not happen. However even the best case scenario with an effective $46 salary cap is not very promising if the Raptors want to make the playoffs in 2010-11 unless BC can pull off a miracle S&T for Bosh.

4. If Hedo doesn't ever want to play in the NBA again and at his age of 31? it is possible he could care less about American goodwill. Europeans are not going to trash Turk because he trashed Americans or Canadians. Just the opposite. They will probably applaud him.

5. A lot of things happen that have never happened before. In fact things happen every day that never happened before. I know of at least two finals records that were broken in last nights game. Most block shots by a team and most three point baskets made by a player. Neither of those numbers had ever been achieved before last night, but they sure did last night.

6. Again I no I am no expert on FIBA contracts and I am pretty sure that you are not either, or else you wouldn't be spending your time monitoring and posting on this forum. You would be too busy doing FIBA contract consulting and related work.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    If he takes 20% of $43 million plus say signs a 4 year deal with a FIBA team for $30 million he almost breaks even.
    Those overseas ball contracts aren't guaranteed like NBA contracts. He won't have the protection of a strong PA.

I think his willingness to play chicken will depend on whether he has any decent serious offers from a FIBA team.
    He isn't legally allowed to play in another professional league while under contract with the Raptors.

As far as MLSE saving the $10 million. They might do that for 10-11 but the team will be in dire straights operating with one less player, a starter no less and with the same cap hold amount as before. This can not benefit the Raptors performance in 2010-11.
    It's not that bleak. Seriously, being in rebuild mode and Hedo forfeiting $10M/yr isn't a worst case scenario. They couldn't make the playoffs with CB4 in the lineup last season, what's to come without him?

If Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team he could squeeze BC to do a buyout and why wouldn't BC do that? If the buy out is for 20% then BC frees up $10 million in cap hold and saves $8 million in 10-11 to invest in another player.
    Hedo has no leverage beyond not playing, in which point he forfeits his salary. He killed all goodwill by publicly blasting the Raptors and demanding out. Hedo won't hold the team for ransom like you're saying, no, he would be holding himself at ransom.

If BC can't work any trade or a decent trade he is better off trying to do a buyout and freeing up that cap hold amount that would enable him to go after a pretty good player.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I am saying I don't think they'll come to agreed buyout one year into a five year $52M contract. Has something like that every happened in league history?

If Turk doesn't want to come back to play in the NBA or BC can't arrange a trade to team that Turk would play for and Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team then the buyout would be the best way to go for everyone concerned.
    Maybe. If he's willing to give up guaranteed millions for non-guaranteed millions and if he can get someone to sign him to those thirty non-guaranteed millions you speak of. In this current economy, with a dollar crisis ripping though the EU do you really think he wants to gamble with his money? I know wouldn't want to if I were in his shoes.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    If Hedo doesn't show up for work he doesn't get paid. Talking about a buyout does not mean a buyout is possible. Also, the Raptors stand to lose a lot less in case of a standoff. Yeah, they have a cap hold of $10M but that's $10M that they're not paying out. Better yet, that's $10M that Hedo will never see. He's not going to beat the Raptors in a game of chicken; the Raptors save $10M, Hedo loses $10M.

One more thing, Hedo is owed roughly $43M. Do you seriously think he's fine with walking away with only 20% of that? In other words $8.6M of the $43M he's owed?
    If he takes 20% of $43 million plus say signs a 4 year deal with a FIBA team for $30 million he almost breaks even.

I think his willingness to play chicken will depend on whether he has any decent serious offers from a FIBA team.

As far as MLSE saving the $10 million. They might do that for 10-11 but the team will be in dire straights operating with one less player, a starter no less and with the same cap hold amount as before. This can not benefit the Raptors performance in 2010-11.

If BC can't work any trade or a decent trade he is better off trying to do a buyout and freeing up that cap hold amount that would enable him to go after a pretty good player.

If Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team he could squeeze BC to do a buyout and why wouldn't BC do that? If the buy out is for 20% then BC frees up $10 million in cap hold and saves $8 million in 10-11 to invest in another player.

If Turk doesn't want to come back to play in the NBA or BC can't arrange a trade to team that Turk would play for and Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team then the buyout would be the best way to go for everyone concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I would agree that it is probably near the bottom of the possibilities.

However, if you go back to that interview that Turk did on Turk TV he said that his lawyers were talking to BC about a buyout. So what if BC can't find a trading partner for Turk and Turk refuses to come back to Canada or even to the U.S. for whatever reason.

As long as the Raptors haven't bought him out and renounced his contract he still counts against the "cap hold"

So it may come down to either BC having to take very little on the dollar for Turk, letting him sit in Europe and take up the "cap hold" dollars or buying him out and renouncing the Raptors rights to him.

Now it certainly doesn't do Turk any good financially to sit in Europe as a member of the Raptors. I think he would get suspended without pay or put on some kind of inactive list, like Miles was due to his injury. So Turk would not get paid but the Raptors would be screwed because Turk would still be taking up $10 million in 2010-11 in "cap hold"

So which would make BC look like more of a fool

A. Get $.20 on a dollar on a trade
    B. Have Turk sit in Europe and take up $10 million in 2010-11 "cap hold" while the Raptors get no benefit from it
    C. Buy Turk out for $.20 on the dollar, move on and free up $10 million in salary cap.

Option A is contingent on Turk wanting to come back to play in the U.S.A. What if he has a good offer from a FIBA team? So his attorneys say to BC buy his contract out for $.20 on a dollar or else he sits in Europe.

Now I will admit that this is a long shot because Turk loses a lot of money by doing this but then again Turk mentioned that it was an option being looked into by his attorneys. This option does neither party any good but Turk's attorneys may use it to try and force BC into offering a buyout rather than tie of $10 million in cap hold which will really PO Raptors fans. Of course that could have just been posturing. We shall see
    If Hedo doesn't show up for work he doesn't get paid. Talking about a buyout does not mean a buyout is possible. Also, the Raptors stand to lose a lot less in case of a standoff. Yeah, they have a cap hold of $10M but that's $10M that they're not paying out. Better yet, that's $10M that Hedo will never see. He's not going to beat the Raptors in a game of chicken; the Raptors save $10M, Hedo loses $10M.

One more thing, Hedo is owed roughly $43M. Do you seriously think he's fine with walking away with only 20% of that? In other words $8.6M of the $43M he's owed?

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    I seriously don't see that happening Buddahfan. Consider how that looks on Colangelo. Ask yourself how the MLSE board of directors would react to such a proposition and how they explain that one to the share holders should they actually go ahead with it.
    I would agree that it is probably near the bottom of the possibilities.

However, if you go back to that interview that Turk did on Turk TV he said that his lawyers were talking to BC about a buyout. So what if BC can't find a trading partner for Turk and Turk refuses to come back to Canada or even to the U.S. for whatever reason.

As long as the Raptors haven't bought him out and renounced his contract he still counts against the "cap hold"

So it may come down to either BC having to take very little on the dollar for Turk, letting him sit in Europe and take up the "cap hold" dollars or buying him out and renouncing the Raptors rights to him.

Now it certainly doesn't do Turk any good financially to sit in Europe as a member of the Raptors. I think he would get suspended without pay or put on some kind of inactive list, like Miles was due to his injury. So Turk would not get paid but the Raptors would be screwed because Turk would still be taking up $10 million in 2010-11 in "cap hold"

So which would make BC look like more of a fool

A. Get $.20 on a dollar on a trade
    B. Have Turk sit in Europe and take up $10 million in 2010-11 "cap hold" while the Raptors get no benefit from it
    C. Buy Turk out for $.20 on the dollar, move on and free up $10 million in salary cap.

Option A is contingent on Turk wanting to come back to play in the U.S.A. What if he has a good offer from a FIBA team? So his attorneys say to BC buy his contract out for $.20 on a dollar or else he sits in Europe.

Now I will admit that this is a long shot because Turk loses a lot of money by doing this but then again Turk mentioned that it was an option being looked into by his attorneys. This option does neither party any good but Turk's attorneys may use it to try and force BC into offering a buyout rather than tie of $10 million in cap hold which will really PO Raptors fans. Of course that could have just been posturing. We shall see

Leave a comment:

• Marz
    replied
    I believe in some European countries, getting royally screwed in the a** is considered to be a service.

Leave a comment:

• insight_tor
    replied
    They just inked him last year to $52M guaranteed and paid him $9M to be an on court and media disaster already. 70% of what's remaining would be a $30M buyout. So, if the buyout was for that much, it would have cost the company close to $40M for one year of Hedo's services. A 50% remaining value contract buyout would lead to: $9M already paid + $21.6M buyout for a grand total of around $30M for on year of service. Try explaining that one to the boss.
    Could you explain what exactly do you mean with "one year of Hedo's services", because I really don't see any services performed by Hedo in the past year for Raptors?

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    They just inked him last year to $52M guaranteed and paid him $9M to be an on court and media disaster already. 70% of what's remaining would be a $30M buyout. So, if the buyout was for that much, it would have cost the company close to $40M for one year of Hedo's services. A 50% remaining value contract buyout would lead to: $9M already paid + $21.6M buyout for a grand total of around $30M for on year of service. Try explaining that one to the boss.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    It is possible that BC buys out Turk's contract and then Turk signs with a FIBA team.

Has to be a consideration.
    I seriously don't see that happening Buddahfan. Consider how that looks on Colangelo. Ask yourself how the MLSE board of directors would react to such a proposition and how they explain that one to the share holders should they actually go ahead with it.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Typical American myopic vision and micro-brain thinking.

It is possible that BC buys out Turk's contract and then Turk signs with a FIBA team.

Has to be a consideration.

Leave a comment:

• TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    i like the way he ends the trade proposal with "straight up"
    sound like a really, credible and experienced source.
    STRAIGHT UP!

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I was wondering who wrote this trash, then I saw the link at the bottom.

I especially love all the proposed trades for expiring contracts. Yeah, right. If BC pulls off any of these trades, all BC bashing must take a one-year hiatus.
    ya, "brother steve" does put out some pretty brutal articles. but, hey shit sells.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X