Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Drafting Based on Talent, Not Need.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Drafting Based on Talent, Not Need.

I was having a little chat with Bryan on the weekend – we were both waiting for USA-England – and he was telling me that it’s “best available player” rather than any specific position when it comes to who’s going to be the pick.

Now, I think they need bigs more than anything given the uncertainty of Bosh and Amir Johnson but I’m hearing that if they think the best guy left is a wing, that’s who they’re taking.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

Paul George or Avery Bradley or Xavier Henry or even Eric Bledsoe

hmm interesting....

Paul George or Xavier Henry is a safe bet and non-bustable :P

Comment

i guess in the draft you always should pick the BAP, specially if Bosh leaves and the Raps will have to go on a semi-rebuild. you can always get the players you need from signings or trades but the draft is more on potential.

Comment

I think what this may be is mental preparation for the fans to get us out of the expectation that a center is coming to Toronto at 13. That's one theory. Colangelo has hit a bunch of home runs drafting guards and forwards so I'm fine with this if he passes on those centers.

Comment

http://philadunkia.com/?p=2200#more-2200

reading over at the philly website and chad ford has them taking favors with the second pick. interesting...
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Its About Time

I guess it's better late than never. I think Bryan Colangelo is trying to make amends for Bargnani. I think he's too proud to admit he made a mistake with Bargnani. And anyone who thinks he made the right choice selecting bargnani first overall is not a true raptor's fan!

Comment

straight up we need to keep this draft pick and start building from that im tired of these "rebuilds" on the fly and at the end of the day all were left with is hedo aka sloth im tired of this... we need some young fresh blood regardless of what position he plays and personally i think we should sign collison to pg and draft the best player available at the draft

Comment

Whoever we get at #13 is fine as long as it's not Cole Aldrich.

Comment

Prospects strut stuff for Raptors
                  By RYAN WOLSTAT, QMI Agency

Last Updated: June 17, 2010 11:10pm

Best player

Raptors director of player personnel Jim Kelly said the team will take the best player available, regardless of position.

“The number is probably down to about six or seven players, I can’t really say that we’ve pared down what position because I don’t think we’ll take a player by position,” Kelly said.

“You have to have a list, because the draft doesn’t revolve on us.”

Kelly said potential trades could affect the team’s thinking at 13 and also said the team has a separate group of players it likes and would consider should it add a second pick later on in the draft.

The veteran bird dog also cautioned against reading too much into individual workouts.

“You’re walking a thin line if you pick a player because he has, or didn’t have a good workout,” Kelly said.

“You try to build a book up on them. Look at where they were, where they are now, and where they might be in two or three years.”

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../14433141.html
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Here’s the thing about draft workout kids and guys like me.

More than jump shots or ball-handling or the nebulous “work ethic” we want quotes. Good quotes from well-spoken young men we might have to deal with 175 days next season.

So, I’m all for Patrick Patterson being the No. 13 selection. Insightful, looks you in the eye, speaks slowly and clearly.

But if he’s gone, I’d be quite in favour of Xavier Henry getting the gig because that kid knows what’s going on.

With the big muddle in the middle of the first round of the draft – No. 6 could be No. 16, No. 7 could be No. 9 – we asked him whether it matters if he’s in the group from, say, 6-10 or the one from 11-15.
                    “I want to find my right team. The number thing doesn’t matter, you’re playing for your second contract not your first so finding the right fit for you is more important than just going as high as you can.”
                    That kind of honesty about the contract and the future is refreshing.
                    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

Comment

Patterson got his degree in Communications in three years so he is a pretty hard worker and presumably he can communicate?
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                      X