This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insane Second Unit

Obviously this is a huge stretch - treat it as a the ultimate thought experiment if you will. This is in reaction to the news that Jack, Derozan, Weems, Johnson and Dorsey are all training or whatnot together in TO this week. This made me think how exciting it would be to field these 5 as a young core together. If they practice together offseason and all like each other, that'd be a pretty tight, pretty damn athletic, and actually a fairly well balanced 5 man unit - given continued growth.

Now.

What if that 5 man unit was Toronto's secondary unit?

If the trade that sends, for example, Turk and Calderon to Washington for Arenas and Thornton is in fact feasible, then this actually becomes not that impossible. Now, we'd have to draft or somehow aquire a legit starting 2 (remember this is a fantasy thought experiment - i'm not saying this is likely), but:

Arenas/Jack
    ______/Weems
    Thornton/Derozan
    Bosh/Johnson
    Bargs/Dorsey

Tell me what team in the league wouldn't get destroyed in the second quarter by the Raps if that was our second unit? As a side, our starting five (four, for now), is also rather formidable.

Impossible...?

What if, on top of this, we were to take Philly's 2nd pick and Elton Brand, for our 13th pick, Belli, Evans and Banks? (again, fantasy here people - though not that impossible - philly would have an insane amount of cap space next year to do a proper rebuild, which it seems they are in fact leaning towards, given that they are shopping the 2nd pick). Then, in a perfect world, our line up would be,

Arenas/Jack
    Turner/Weems
    Thornton/Derozan/Turner
    Bosh/Johnson/Brand
    Bargs/Dorsey/Brand

In the lingo of those who frequently post in these here forums, ahem, GET 'ER DONE, BC!

The chance of Philly giving up their 2nd pick for what you mentioned is about the same chance of LeBron signing with Toronto. And Philly's latest trade pretty much destroys the theory that they are simply looking to dump salary.

And hasn't it pretty much been proven that Bosh and Bargnani simply don't work together? Unless you think the fact they were really bad defensively last year was just an anomoly.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like it from an offensive point of view, but it wouldn't address our haggard defence. How sick would an Arenas be though!

Comment

You're overvaluing Dorsey wayyy too much

Comment

Of course I am. I also don't think the philly trade very likely. But, in view of the future, a team that grows together and likes each other will play above their individual talent levels. They will develop a confidence and swagger that will allow them to react positively to adversity (say, a cheap shot to the balls from an opposing SF), rather than cave to it.

Also, with better PG defense (albeit not stellar, but definitely decent), there is less need to collapse into the paint, thereby freeing up the rest of the team to play on man. defense improves all around.

And again, the above propositions are more fantasy than anything. I do think though that'd be an awesome second unit to field. That was mostly the point of my post.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
            You're overvaluing Dorsey wayyy too much
            Dude, how can you sit here and tell me this. Dorsey was pretty damn effective in Memphis! I think he is a case of a player who has not reached his potential yet. I'm a big believer that our 2nd unit can be the future but we have to let them learn, feel comfortable and trust each other before they play well together. I love the fact that the Trio (Demar, Johnson, Weems) are hanging out together this summer and working out I don't think B.C. will trade any of those 3 pieces because for the first time this city probably has the right attitude from a start player.

Look at all the teams that have supposed mediocre players but they are very effective role players. Ahem look at the lakers bench (Shannon Brown for example), look at the celtics bench! No one thought Big Baby or Rondo would be as good as they are now.

I'm for it! Let’s get some big names on the 1st unit to properly show the 2nd unit how to play! Then Fire JT, and get a proper coach please!

I'm for it! Lets get some big names on the 1st unit to properly show the 2nd unit how to play! Then Fire JT, and get a proper coach please!

Comment

jeevie wrote: View Post
              Dude, how can you sit here and tell me this. Dorsey was pretty damn effective in Memphis! I think he is a case of a player who has not reached his potential yet.
              That's weird. He never played for Memphis, so I'm not sure how he could have been effective for them at all. And since they guy has played a total of 18 games in two years, I think it's a safe thing to say that you are overvaluing him too much.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

. . . I was talking about the University of Memphis

Comment

jeevie wrote: View Post
                  . . . I was talking about the University of Memphis
                  Yes, I know. But the University of Memphis is not in the NBA, and that's really all that matters.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Games aren't won in the 2nd quarter.
                    RR OG

Comment

Working...
                    X