X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philwill
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    There's attempting to reload and there's rebuilding. If the team were rebuilding, they certainly wouldn't have plunked down $50 million on a 30 year old. If the team was rebuilding, Colangelo certainly isn't going to talk about believing this team can win 50 games. Rebuilding teams don't do that. If the team were rebuilding, he would have not put any pressure on the team to win now.

Rebuilding is a longterm commitment that requires patience and focuses on development over immediate wins. A rebuilding team isn't disappointed because they don't make the playoffs.
    Well, I think there are probably a lot of grey areas in there, and multiple other organizational objectives that are sometimes conflicting or contradictory. I also think it's unwise to assume that the sign-and-trade (they didn't outright sign Hedo to a 50mil contract) involving Turk WASN'T part of the rebuilding process... especially now that he could be fodder for talented youth.

All I'm saying is that there is not as strict a line as you think between rebuilding and not rebuilding. The thunder, for example, are still the in the midst of a rebuild and should win 50 games. The Grizzlies are still in the midst of a rebuild and could win 50 games. Shit, the Nets could win 50 this year if all goes according to plan for them during this offseason... and they are not done rebuilding after a nearly complete dismantle of their almost-worst-ever team.

...then there is the very real possibility that things don't go according to plan, in which case they may go either better than, worse than, or both (in different contexts). This might have been an inadvertent rebuild, but I don't think it's any different -- it's still a rebuild -- and it's definitely time to start thinking about how to put together a championship team in 3-4 years time!

Leave a comment:

• Quixotic
    replied
    Katman wrote: View Post
    I like ... shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic
    In drastic need of a plus button somewhere...

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    philwill wrote: View Post
    I'm not mistaking anything!

When you add nine new faces in less than a year, how could you call that anything other than rebuilding?
    There's attempting to reload and there's rebuilding. If the team were rebuilding, they certainly wouldn't have plunked down $50 million on a 30 year old. If the team was rebuilding, Colangelo certainly isn't going to talk about believing this team can win 50 games. Rebuilding teams don't do that. If the team were rebuilding, he would have not put any pressure on the team to win now.

Rebuilding is a longterm commitment that requires patience and focuses on development over immediate wins. A rebuilding team isn't disappointed because they don't make the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Katman wrote: View Post
    Shut it Katman, I'm the local Jokester on here and there's only room for me.

Leave a comment:

• Katman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Actually, historically, centers have been much better scorers than PFs. 6 of the top 10 scorers of all time are centers.

You're mistaking losing for rebuilding. Rebuilding is admitting the team is not looking for short term success and to focus on the future. The team has not done that in....well, a very long time.
    I'm not mistaking anything!

When you add nine new faces in less than a year, how could you call that anything other than rebuilding?

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    EarthJuice wrote: View Post
    To be honest, I am ole school with C's and to a less extent, PF's. All I require from a center is rebounding, shotblocking, boxing out and >60% FT. They get their points on putbacks, but Job 1 is defense and being on the glass. I want my 10 plus reounds a game, a couple blocks would be nice. 10 pts a game. Im not complaining cuz Im not spending a lot of money on him.

I expect a little more offensively from my PF, but he must be on the glass and altering shots like my C.

Actually, historically, centers have been much better scorers than PFs. 6 of the top 10 scorers of all time are centers.

How have we not been in rebuilding mode already? We haven't made it past the first round of the playoffs in how long? What is different about rebuilding mode from the way the team looks now?
    You're mistaking losing for rebuilding. Rebuilding is admitting the team is not looking for short term success and to focus on the future. The team has not done that in....well, a very long time.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    sunndog wrote: View Post
    Nick you're taking comments out of context. No one is saying that Bosh isn't a terrific player or that he hasn't performed in the past. Bosh has been a stud. There's no question of that. He gave us his 20-10 every night without fail and for that we can't fault him.
    The problem is though, that it's all he's give to this team. He hasn't been a vocal leader on the team, especially when the team really needed one. How many opportunities this season did Bosh have this season to step up and take control of HIS team. To ensure that the players around him were doing their jobs and playing defense etc. Bosh is the captain of this team and it's the captain's responsibility to ensure that everything in the locker room is running smoothly. It's his job to call out players when they aren't playing well.
    Beyond that, Bosh's defense is average at best, he's never been a true game changer in the same sense as Lebron, Wade, Kobe or any of the other true franchise players in the league and personally I think he lacks the passion to be that player.
    Regardless of your beliefs on Bosh, let's be honest. Is there any point in keeping him? He doesn't bring anything that's irreplaceable (e.g. passion, defense, leadership etc.). It'll be tough and take time, but we'll find a player to replace his double double. Point is, at this point the Raptors are making a decision for their future. You either roll the dice that Bosh can be the player we all desperately want him to be, OR the team blows it up and uses the pieces it has now to start building for a championship.
    How can you say Bosh wasn't a vocal leader? Its easy to be a fan and criticize a guy when your not there taking in the reality. If anything Bosh has been completely respectful of his teamates. Which is unreal, to be this modest after being an integral part of an Olympic gold medal team, all-star, and all time Raps best. How receptive do you think Bargnani is when getting an earful anyways? Your absolutely out of your mind if you think its up to Bosh to control this team. Thats what a coach is for. Bosh has showed patience, and NOT COMPLAINED AT ALL! How many other players around the league are like this!?

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    I don't know if I would say that the supporting cast has been laughable. Miami took Oneal to try the same thing Toronto did, Dallas took Marion to try the same thing Toronto did, Cleveland took Moon AND Parker to try what Toronto did... you're telling me that these supposed potential contenders have laughable supporting casts too?

Calling ANYONE a centerpiece is a silly notion to me. As cliched as it is, basketball is a team sport. What is a centerpiece? What is a role player? If a centerpiece cannot win a title without role players, then how are they centerpieces? What does "centerpiece" really mean? Star? Main attraction? Someone to sell tickets?
    Not one of those guys you mentioned had the capability to compliment Bosh's game in a way that could propel them to victory. You're right, I wouldn't exactly call these guys laughable though. You said that you hate the term centrepiece as it is a cliche, well not so much in my eyes. I would define centrepiece as a player who has the ability to put up all star numbers, as well as make the players around him better. This is evident in Bosh's game as he's been an all star the last few years, draws double teams, which SHOULD make those around him better. However, winning teams have 2 sometimes 3 players who do this.

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    How have we not been in rebuilding mode already? We haven't made it past the first round of the playoffs in how long? What is different about rebuilding mode from the way the team looks now?

Leave a comment:

• Katman
    replied
    The pragmatic reality is that unless BC can trade some of the dreck on this team for a complimentary all-star piece to CB, he's most likely gone. If Bosh leaves, this team is in rebuilding mode. The only way to build a championship team at that point is to be REALLY bad and acquire blue chip prospects. The worst thing Toronto could do is be mediocre.

Leave a comment:

• Vellassco
    replied
    None of the super-stars/stars can take a team to the Championship alone himself with supporting casts nowadays. i.e: Lebron, Wade, Dwight... etc. Even great Duo's cant do it himselfs, i.e: Willams-Boozer, CP3-West, Nash-Amare.. etc. Also, you can have full talented roster but again it may not take you there.

In 7 Games series every game has its unique game plans and even 3th string at the bench can play fatal role in a specific games in those series.

There are lots of factors:

1- Coaching (including Assistant Coaches)
    2- Talented Players (having both Offensive/Defensive minds in one body)
    3- Balanced Roster (which can play against Athletic/Traditional/4out-1in teams)
    4- Friendship
    5- Leadership
    6- Commitment (team, management and city)
    7- Proper Management
    8- Complementary Roster
    9- Luckiness

You guyz should stop looking at just one angle. Enough for all about "Bosh" things.

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    Of course, if there is a way to get Collison on his own, I'm sold!!!

Leave a comment:

• philwill
    replied
    EarthJuice wrote: View Post
    To be honest, I am ole school with C's and to a less extent, PF's. All I require from a center is rebounding, shotblocking, boxing out and >60% FT. They get their points on putbacks, but Job 1 is defense and being on the glass. I want my 10 plus reounds a game, a couple blocks would be nice. 10 pts a game. Im not complaining cuz Im not spending a lot of money on him.

Someone like Okafor would be sufficient. Now I know he is overpaid and no allstar, but he is steady, and if he comes with Collison, he's my boy! Without Collison we could do better for the money.

I think Aldrich could be that type of player too, and much cheaper.

I expect a little more offensively from my PF, but he must be on the glass and altering shots like my C.

My money goes to my PG and wings. They are there to create and score.

I fear having Bargs as my goto guy when the clock is ticking down. He has what it takes to shoot game-winners (and he will), but he cannot be the guy the defense KNOWS is getting the ball everytime. You need wings and the PG to create those scoring opportunities.
    Yeah, I think I would only want Okafor and Collison if we were shipping back Turkoglu and Reggie Evans or Marcus banks, which would never happen... in reality.

Leave a comment:

• EarthJuice
    replied

Someone like Okafor would be sufficient. Now I know he is overpaid and no allstar, but he is steady, and if he comes with Collison, he's my boy! Without Collison we could do better for the money.

I think Aldrich could be that type of player too, and much cheaper.

My money goes to my PG and wings. They are there to create and score.

I fear having Bargs as my goto guy when the clock is ticking down. He has what it takes to shoot game-winners (and he will), but he cannot be the guy the defense KNOWS is getting the ball everytime. You need wings and the PG to create those scoring opportunities.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X