X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quixotic
    replied
    BomKeyzi wrote: View Post
    While Colangelo's insane affection for european players gets the local fan base excited about watching their countrymen, it will soon be the demise of the Toronto Raptors. One or two europeans is a good mix anything more and you're just a borderline NBA team. Good for international revenue.... BAD for wins. This is the NBA... we need NBA players!!!!
    Good to know where to draw the line.

Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

Little known, but true.

Leave a comment:

• bigmanshaq
    replied
    If history has taught us anything is always do the opposite of them Blazer crews on draft nights.
    Allow me to elaborate, if Blazers come to Raps with a trade purposal for our 13th, instead of trading it, keep it. why ? Think back a few years ago when Portland flipped Tyrus thomas into Lamarcus Aldrige, then flipped Randy Foye to Brandon Roy. You know the bulls/t-wolves are begging for a redo on that one.
    I think its 12 month later,they found a way to turn Darell Arthur into Nicholas Batum. Not the best example, but still a good find by Pritchard, Batum is a starter and arthur isn't.

Them Blazer front office have a history of being able to find talent, and if they want our 13th pick, you know they see some good value there, so lets not be the 2010 version of the 06' Bulls/ T-wolves.

Leave a comment:

• dagon420
    replied
    I`m afraid to say that Rudy is already 25 years old and not a good defender and his shooting percentage last year was 37.8. Just not sure if we need another European player of that style.

Would rather keep the 13th to see who drops.

Leave a comment:

• cornbreadd
    replied
    I think Bradley could be available at 22, so this is a good deal for the raps

Leave a comment:

• Raptorfan09
    replied
    I wouldn't do it. We don't need any more European players. We are rebuilding essentially this summer. We need that draft pick.

Leave a comment:

• dn66
    replied
    Why do we need another Hedon't? Rudy had some issues at Portland...
    and Raps are not good at all in dealing with players who have issues...

Leave a comment:

• mo-sales
    replied
    I think there will still be a lot of quality guys available at 22. I think we are going to see a few Renaldo Balkmans this year. Everyone wants to find the hidden gem of this draft.

Leave a comment:

• AJ360
    replied
    I'd still rather keep the 13th pick and try and snag a late first-rounder.

Bradley and Ebanks are what Im hoping for.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Doing this would be a safe play for the Raptors. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    I don't think that this trade would be about Fernandez. The difference in salary between a #13 and a #22 over their first three years in the league is about $2 million. So If BC thinks he can get the player he wants at #22 why spend the extra millions to draft him at #13.

Ferandez could replace Belinelli and save the Raptors another $1 million plus in 2010-11 if Fernandez replaced Belinelli.

So right there the Raptors pick up about $1.6 million in more cap space in 2010-11 if they can say unload Belinelli for a future draft pick.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    Rudy Fernandez is an NBA player and he is very good. Only issue I see is we have way to many wings right now and I don't know where he would play otherwise that's not a bad deal.

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    If you play in the NBA you are an NBA player.

Leave a comment:

• BomKeyzi
    replied
    While Colangelo's insane affection for european players gets the local fan base excited about watching their countrymen, it will soon be the demise of the Toronto Raptors. One or two europeans is a good mix anything more and you're just a borderline NBA team. Good for international revenue.... BAD for wins. This is the NBA... we need NBA players!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    Not bad if they get Alabi at 22
    Fernandez will make only $1.2 million next season which is pretty cheap. His contract has a team option for 2011-12.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Not bad if they get Alabi at 22

Leave a comment:

Working...
X