Can the Draft Picks Be Traded NOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Draft Picks Be Traded NOW?

Draft is over and Raptors did a desent job in it. I still liked to see another 1st rounder picked by us ( Bradly at 19). Now, my question is can these guys be included in the future trades that Toronto can do this summer ?

Specifically, will you do this trade:

Hedo and Ed David to NO , Okafor and Collison to Toronto

I know taking Hedo's contract does not make any sense for NO but we can assume that there is a thrid team involved that will absorb Hedo's contract and ...

Yes, picks can still be traded. There have been many cases in the past where a team selected a player for another team but could not make the trade until July 1st.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
      Draft is over and Raptors did a desent job in it. I still liked to see another 1st rounder picked by us ( Bradly at 19). Now, my question is can these guys be included in the future trades that Toronto can do this summer ?

Specifically, will you do this trade:

Hedo and Ed David to NO , Okafor and Collison to Toronto

I know taking Hedo's contract does not make any sense for NO but we can assume that there is a thrid team involved that will absorb Hedo's contract and ...
      Are you kidding? Ed Davis falls from the sky and you want to trade him in? No thanks. When a guy like Davis falls to you unexpectedly, you never, ever trade him before he's played a minute in the league. That's a huge, huge waste of a gift. I had him as the 4th or 5th best player in the draft. He's far more valuable as a player right now than as an asset. If I'm Colangelo, he's probably my most untouchable player. Then DeRozan.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Are you kidding? Ed Davis falls from the sky and you want to trade him in? No thanks. When a guy like Davis falls to you unexpectedly, you never, ever trade him before he's played a minute in the league. That's a huge, huge waste of a gift. I had him as the 4th or 5th best player in the draft. He's far more valuable as a player right now than as an asset. If I'm Colangelo, he's probably my most untouchable player. Then DeRozan.
        Unless it's for Chris Paul. Then you wave goodbye to Davis and thank him for being such a nice gift.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
          Unless it's for Chris Paul. Then you wave goodbye to Davis and thank him for being such a nice gift.
          In fairness CP wasnt the player mentioned in the possible trade. But you are absolutely correct. One is a true franchise player the other a v. good one. No contest.

Comment

I know he is huge talent but in reality he is not going to contribute this year at any significant level.

Lets say for the sake of argument, what do you think his average point and rebounds will be this season ?

So I have no problem on giving him up if it means that I can bring in a guy like Collison who is easily a 15 and 8 player in this league, also get rid of Hedo or if we are keeping Bosh, then bring in CP3.

To get Talent, you have to give up some talent as well.
            So the question is, Can you win now if you give up on a Guy like Davis or you rather rebuild from zero ?

Comment

Can you win now if you give up on a Guy like Davis or you rather rebuild from zero ?
              We are so far from winning now, even if we retain Bosh (which I still would like to do). If there's one thing we've learned, it's no half-measures! Chris Paul would be a full-measure move, but good luck getting him. Okafor and Collison are closer to half-measure moves, and may not even guarantee Bosh staying. Considering the chance of Bosh staying is less than 50% at this point, it's better to plan for life without him. If he chooses to stay, great, but if not, Davis is a very nice piece to start a rebuild around.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                Yes. That's true.

I know he is huge talent but in reality he is not going to contribute this year at any significant level.

Lets say for the sake of argument, what do you think his average point and rebounds will be this season ?

So I have no problem on giving him up if it means that I can bring in a guy like Collison who is easily a 15 and 8 player in this league, also get rid of Hedo or if we are keeping Bosh, then bring in CP3.

To get Talent, you have to give up some talent as well.
                So the question is, Can you win now if you give up on a Guy like Davis or you rather rebuild from zero ?
                WHo cares what Davis does next year? This team is not built to do anything next year if Bosh leaves. Getting Collison would not change that. You have to come to grips with the fact that the team IS rebuilding. It's not rebuilding from zero. Davis, Amir, DeRozan, Weems and even Belinelli are some nice young pieces, and if the team can get something for Bosh, Bargnani, Turkoglu and Jack, then the team should have a bright future. A top 3 or 4 pick next year and the team should be in better long term shape than it has in a long, long time.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Davis, Amir, DeRozan, Weems and even Belinelli are some nice young pieces, and if the team can get something for Bosh, Bargnani, Turkoglu and Jack, then the team should have a bright future. A top 3 or 4 pick next year and the team should be in better long term shape than it has in a long, long time.
                  So you want to get rid of Calderon and Turk without giving anything away ? How are you planing to do that ?

I agree with you that if Bosh leaves, we have to enter a full rebuild. At the same time, I am ok with giving up an unproven Rookie like Davis and also getting ride of Hedo's contract , while getting back a solid PG that I can build my back court with and also a very serviceable big center that I can match with AB.

To me this is a better rebuild than starting from Johnson, Davis, Weems and DD while magically getting rid of the bad contracts of Hedo, Jose.

But I guess we have to agree to disagree on this.
                  Just out of curiosity, what kind of production are you expecting from Davis in his rookie year?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what kind of production are you expecting from Davis in his rookie year?
                    Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but what is with the fixation of next year? It is NOT the end of the world if we lose next season..

Like previously mentioned even if we retained bosh, this team will be mediocre anyway. Do you honestly believe adding Collison and Okafor will make us win now? I'd much rather wait a few years for a true rebuild than another quick fix solution..which is what this sounds like to me..

Comment

His production next year will be:

(W hard work + X rebounding + Y shot-blocking + Z put-backs) x M minutes per game.

If he achieves that, I think it would be a good first year.

Comment

jckool wrote: View Post
                        Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but what is with the fixation of next year? It is NOT the end of the world if we lose next season..
                        Some of you guys are so sensitive This is simple question.

What is your statistical expectation from a guy like Ed Davis in his first year ?

I know he is going to be a great player in few years and ... but that has nothing to do with what I am asking.

Comment

jckool wrote: View Post
                          Do you honestly believe adding Collison and Okafor will make us win now? I'd much rather wait a few years for a true rebuild than another quick fix solution..which is what this sounds like to me..
                          I believe that Adding Collison and Okafor WHILE getting rid of Hedo's contract in the same transaction, will put us a year or two ahead in our rebuilding efforts and will significantly speed up the process.
                          Last edited by Raptor4Ever; Fri Jun 25, 2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I believe that Adding Collison and Okafor WHILE getting rid of Hedo's contract in the same transaction, will put us a year or two ahead in our rebuilding efforts and will significantly speed up the process.
                            Perhaps, but I guess this would all depend on whether Davis or Collison is the better piece for our team a few years down the road. I'm undecided on this issue, and while Okafor > Turkoglu, I'm hoping we can change Turkoglu into a satisfactory piece without giving up Davis. Okafor and Turkoglu have the same length contract only Okafor is almost 2 mil more expensive each year (assuming no trade kicker). 2 mil might not seem like much, but to a rebuilding team... well, we all saw what Oklahoma City did with their cap space. 21st, 26th and 32nd overall pick for the 11th overall, Daequan Cook, Morris Peterson and effectively the Clippers' future lottery pick. Washington got Hinrich and the 17th overall for a 2nd round pick as well. Of course, it might take another FA class of this caliber for teams to give away so much again.

Also, what Davis' numbers are next year will depend hugely on how many minutes he gets, in what role, and who else is on the team. Hard to give you a prediction with play more than 4 months away.

Comment

Some of you guys are so sensitive This is simple question.

What is your statistical expectation from a guy like Ed Davis in his first year ?

I know he is going to be a great player in few years and ... but that has nothing to do with what I am asking.
                              have to agre with Quixotic. WIthout knowing whether Bosh will be back, or if not, who the Raptors will get back for him, or whether Bargnani will still be on the team, or whether Amir will re-sign, it's pretty impossible to guess what Davis' numbers will be because he could end up playing 20 mpg and be asked to only defend and rebound, or he could end up playing 35 mpg and be asked to score as well. There are simply too many variables right now.

Now if you're asking what I think he's CAPABLE of averaging next year, I think, if given the minutes, he could average 12 ppg, 10 rpg and 2 bpg. I think it's doubtful that will happen, but I think he's capable of doing that.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X