Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Point Guard Would Be Good for the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Point Guard Would Be Good for the Raps?

The Raptors have a few good, solid pieces on their roster now, and I believe they can be competitive if they address the point guard situation.
    Our current roster make up include, DD, Weems, Barg, Davis (assuming Bosh leaves) all are talented player but none can consistent create their own offense, and that could really hurt us next year. Most of them will need to a PG to create for them, so who can the Raps (realistically) bring in to help? or do you think the Jack/ Calderon combo would be capable for the task?

-Darren Collison:
    Filled in more than admirably during CP3's injury, averaged 13/6/1stl in 09/10.
    He can create for himself and others consistenly, is a pest/thief on defense due to his tremendous speed.
    shown good leadership quality. RR recently did a post on why Raps should get him, go check it out.

-Steve Nash:
    Former MVP, who could be traded for if Amare re-locates.
    Tough-nosed Canadian can drive, dish, shoot, make teammates better. Tons of player have reached new career highs while playing with Nash. although not the best defender and is 36

-Andre Miller:
    There was rumor that Blazer were lookng at Mo william, and Mo/ Calderon have also been talked about, so a 3 team PG trade isn't out of the question.
    consummate professional, one of the best passers in the league, high basketball IQ, plays defense.
    Who I give majority of credit to for sixers playoff run 2 years ago and is responsible for at least 70% of alley oops Iguodala received that year. younger than Nash but not by much (34)

Raymond Felton:
    FA, One of the faster point in the league, at 6'0 is an explosive athlete.
    good play maker, good on the defensive end (career avg 1.4stl). Lack a true jump shot.
    at 26, could fit in with Raptors Youth movement.

Jarret Jack/ Jose Calderon:
    They need no introduction here, you've all seen them play.

What do Y'all think ? which player would be good at the 1 spot for Raps?

All depends on what you have to give up, but Nash first b/c he's miles better than the others on this list. Then Collison, Jose, Jack, Felton in that order.

Would not want Miller. He's expensive, not good enough to improve our guys and too old to be there when the current Raps group matures.

Comment

I'm interested to see which pg f/a get invited to play in summer league.

Comment

In a long term plan, You have a futuristic frame in your mind. You have specific needs in certain areas and you tries to fulfill those gaps year by year with minimal actions in order to reach your target. Kinda predictive approach. Smart GMs do that. They have lists on their desks. Profiles, skill sets, Plan A,B,C... for all positions. Whenever they get opportunity to reach them , they jump over and take them. If they feel the guy is the missing key to be contender, they can even convince their owners to exceed the luxury tax.

In a short term plan/in a rebuilding mode or if there is lots of uncertainty (i.e: Bosh case, Hedo trade), You do whatever you can from S&T, Trades, FA signs, Draft picks..etc. and add maximum talent to your roster without knowing whether they are compatible or not. In those cases you need a veteran floor general to glue all those things. 2010-11 Raptors exactly is in this situation.

Thats why i picks Nash from your list.

Comment

as much as i love nash i'd rather him win a ring first, so i'll go with jack he seems the most comfortable here and shows that on the court. im not going to reject a guy who ties his shoe in the middle of the game.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Unless the Raptors can somehow get either CP3 or Rodney Stuckey they should stay with the same two point guards. CP3 and Stuckey may be available. There are no other above average point guards that will be available that can play defense.

On the offensive side Calderon is one of the top PGs in the league and Jack is decent on both sides of the ball. So the Raptors have no lack of offensive including assisting from their PGs. The problem is strictly defense. So unless the Raptors can get a PG who can ply defense and also run the offense effectively they should stay pat.

Nash is too old and can't play defense.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Steve Nash for Turk. Can work. What do you think?

Comment

Collison if we're rebuilding, Nash if Bosh stays.

Jose gives up to much to the uber point guards in the league and Jack is a back up on any good team so I'd like to see on of them moved and the other kept to back up Collison or Nash.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

From an upgrade, long & short term, salary viewpoint my choice would be Collison. The approx. 35 games he played in absence of CP he showed a complete game including leadership. Nice as Nash would be he is too short term and would be wasted on a transitional/rebuilding team.

Comment

I like Collison, and Jack backing him up, that would be a solid rotation. I don't see Nash playing for much longer with his back problems.

THE PG that I would love to see the RAPS get is STEPHEN CURRY. He can pass, handle and is a deep threat just like pops. It might take a draft pick or two, but I think it would be a great move.

Comment

Stuckey? Really? I'd rather have Jack...

Comment

If Bosh leaves I want Collison. If Bosh stays I want Felton.
                        I Am Shutup

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          Collison if we're rebuilding, Nash if Bosh stays.

Jose gives up to much to the uber point guards in the league and Jack is a back up on any good team so I'd like to see on of them moved and the other kept to back up Collison or Nash.
                          Collison is terrible. Another guy who put up some good offensive numbers in a short period but the Hornets were terrible when he started. Played under .400 ball. Collison was terrible at UCLA and crapped out in every big game his entire career. He was so bad that in his last year there Howland had Westbrook running the point and Collison playing off the ball.

Collison another over hyped midget guard.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

It really depends who else is on the floor

Do you still have Hedo to do the ball handling and play making for you ?
                            Do you still have AB as your center under the post ?

And ...

If We have both Hedo and AB on this team and will have them for next few years, then you need a PG who is great defensively and can be a spot up shooter, slasher and play well without the ball a true scorer.

If you do not have Hedo but still have AB, then you need real play maker and a great defensive guy. He should be able to handle the ball, run the offense, control the tempo and also be a lock down defender. Without Hedo, you need a pass first PG and not necessarily a scorer.

Now, if you do not have Hedo and do not have AB then again, you have to see who else in on the floor and ...

the Combo of Jack + Calderon is a great combo if Calderon was not making that much money and we did have Banks on the bench. Right now, we are spending almost 20 million a season on a PG position while spending additional 10 on a SF who is a play maker as well !! It just does not add up.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Collison is terrible. Another guy who put up some good offensive numbers in a short period but the Hornets were terrible when he started. Played under .400 ball. Collison was terrible at UCLA and crapped out in every big game his entire career. He was so bad that in his last year there Howland had Westbrook running the point and Collison playing off the ball.

Collison another over hyped midget guard.
                              I think Collison has tons of potential to be a great PG in this league, which is why I'd look to him as the best option from this list. To me, it makes sense that Collison wouldn't be the primary PG on a UCLA team that had Russell Westbrook, considering his skill. I think the numbers that Collison put up last year while filling in for CP3 speak volumes, considering that it wasn't even a really good New Orleans team to begin with, and Paul being by far their best player.

I'm hoping that we can make a play for Collison this summer, I think he's an ideal guy for a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                              X