Let's Hope BC Can Get Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Hope BC Can Get Rudy Gay

Losing Chris Bosh will indefinitely set back the Raptors, but if we can sign a quality free agent (even if its by BC playing around with sign-and-trade scenarios with Jose Calderon/Hedo Turkoglu) like Rudy Gay, I think we'll be right back in the playoff race!

Rudy Gay 2010 Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPmIc...zM&feature=sub

Rudy Gay 2010 Stats:

19.6 PPG
    5.9 REB
    1.9 AST
    1.5 STL

0.466 FG%
    0.327 3P%
    0.752 FT%
    Last edited by bhattmagandhi; Sun Jun 27, 2010, 04:43 PM.
    "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
    ------------------------------------------
    "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

So many things would have to happen for the Raptors to get Rudy Gay. First of all, he'd have to want to sign. Secondly, Memphis would have to agree to not only let him go, but want what the Raptors had to offer in a sign and trade. The only way I see this happening is if Bosh leaves and the Raptors get a big trade exception and use that. Otherwise, why would Memphis not want to re-sign Gay, but want equal salary back? I could see Memphis possibly agreeing to a combination of the trade exception and either Jack or Calderon, but even then, I'm really not sure.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it's highly unlikely.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think Bargnani would have to be part of a sign and trade with Memphis. They'd need a young player with perceived upside/potential.

Then build around a Bargnani/Gasol frontrcourt and OJ Mayo in the backcourt. Brewer, Thabeet, Conley and Henry as leading members of the supporting cast.

Zach Randolph as an expiring contract + trade asset.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

Bargs? Really, that would break the S&T barrier. Gay is getting max money or near it from someone. One of NYC, MIami or Chicago is going to be screwed and forced to overpay, if BC went balls deep and offered the super max and sent back Jose plus an expiring I think it could get it done.

I don't Memphis wants to pay him that much money and losing him for nothing isn't ideal. They drafted Henry as a replacement and are still a year or two away from contending.

I don't know too much about Gay, but he probably would go to whoever pays him the most money and with Bosh leaving he could fill the gap as go to guy. Its about as conceivable as getting Turk from Orlando last summer except it is an infinitely better idea.

Comment

I like Rudy Gay but the team wil still stink next year without Bosh unless we have someone to feed him the ball and make him better than he is. Turk? If so, I'm not sure how we defend teams with big bigs and quick wings.

C - Amir/Alabi
          PF - Gay/Davis
          SF - Turk/Weems
          SG - DeRozan/Belinelli
          PG - Jack/Banks (I assume Calderon's gone in a trade to get Gay)

Our bigger bigs would be somewhat interchangeable and we'd also have whatever comes back for Bosh. This will never happen. Why am I writing about it?

Comment

I agree, Rudy Gay being the starting PF on the raps would never happen.

Comment

RUDY GAY is a small forward... keep him at that position. THe thing toronto has been lacking since Carter left was a guy that can create his own shot and drive from the perimeter. All we have to do is offer him the max deal which is the same Bosh was signed for when his contract ran out last time. Or we may be able to give Memphis a sign and trade ie. first rounder next year and maybe some expiring contracts or young prospects.

BARGS is not a centre and never will be, he is a PF that has been forced to play out of position. I think he could be a solid
              20 pt. and 9 rb. guy at power forward.

We will still have Turk and one of the point guards to trade for a decent defensive centre (ie.Okefor) and a young point guard (ie.collison). And a decent prospect from a Bosh sign and trade.

Basically we will have:

New Centre
              Bargs
              Rudy Gay
              Demar
              Jack/calderon

Amir
              Weems
              Ed Davis
              Belinelli
              jack/calderon
              Banks
              Evans

With a couple trades this could still be a great line up.
              Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 27, 2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
                I like Rudy Gay but the team wil still stink next year without Bosh unless we have someone to feed him the ball and make him better than he is. Turk? If so, I'm not sure how we defend teams with big bigs and quick wings.

C - Amir/Alabi
                PF - Gay/Davis
                SF - Turk/Weems
                SG - DeRozan/Belinelli
                PG - Jack/Banks (I assume Calderon's gone in a trade to get Gay)

Our bigger bigs would be somewhat interchangeable and we'd also have whatever comes back for Bosh. This will never happen. Why am I writing about it?
                I would think Turkoglu would be gone, so Gay would be the starting SF. And since we don't know what the Raptors would get back for Bosh and Turkoglu, it's hard to say what the lineup would be like.

Personally, I don't really know if the Raptors need to do anything as desperate as overpay Gay the maximum. If Bosh leaves, the Raptors should probably be content with rebuilding this year, and then see what the situation is like when the new CBA comes into affect. If the Raptors get Rudy Gay, is it really going to prevent the team from returning to the lottery?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I would pass on Rudy Gay because we have a guy exactly like him in Demar Derozan. Right now Gay is better offensively but give Derozan a year and he'll be just as good. I think trying to pry Danny Granger would be easier than getting Rudy Gay. Granger plays nasty, and isn't scared of anyone. I saw him bully chris bosh, and try and pick a fight with Lebron James. Also, he should've been on our team had we not picked up 6 year veteran Joey Graham from Oklahoma state.

How he can fit, whatever team Bosh goes to, we pair him up with Hedo Turkoglu. Miami can take both of those dirt bags from us!

Starting lineup can be

Bargs
                  Davis
                  Granger
                  Derozan
                  Jack/Calderon (I still try and trade Calderon for someone like Collison) Also I would take on Emeka Okafor's contract. If anyone says it's bad, Look at Hedo + Bargnani + Calderon. At least Okafor can defend and get rebounds.

Comment

I don't think we should give up Bargnani. I think at the PF position he could be a 20 point and 8 rebound getter. He's had to play out of position for years. I think we need a true, strong centre. Not necessarily offensive gifted, just a grit guy. I f we build up the SF, and PG positions, and let DeMar progress we will have a solid team. We definitely have the pieces to trade and money to spend.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      If the Raptors get Rudy Gay, is it really going to prevent the team from returning to the lottery?
                      Not unless we get another top player, like a top PG.

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      RUDY GAY is a small forward... keep him at that position. THe thing toronto has been lacking since Carter left was a guy that can create his own shot and drive from the perimeter.
                      Get that out of your head. Gay is not vintage VC. Worse ball handler, not a passer and is a ball dominator. Maybe it's not his fault as he's never played with a great PG.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                        I don't think we should give up Bargnani. I think at the PF position he could be a 20 point and 8 rebound getter. He's had to play out of position for years. I think we need a true, strong centre. Not necessarily offensive gifted, just a grit guy. I f we build up the SF, and PG positions, and let DeMar progress we will have a solid team. We definitely have the pieces to trade and money to spend.
                        I've asked this before, and I will ask it again. How has Bargnani played out of position the last four years?
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I didn't say Rudy Gay was as good as VC, I said we need a talented SF that can create his own shots like VC.

And you are fooling yourself if you think Bargs is a 5, just because he is 7'0 doesn't mean he should be playing that position. Do you see KG, Dirk or Gasol playing the 5, no because they are naturally better for other positions. A true 5 should play offense around the basket, rebound and deter teams from playing around the rim. Not take 325, 3 point shots a year and be out of position for offensive rebounds. He isn't a gritty, post player, and doesn't have a natural ability to rebound.

Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Kareem, and Howard all are true centers. I'm not saying Bargs is as good as them, or as good as Dirk, KG, or Gasol. His Game is closer to the power forward style, and we should let him take advantage of his skills.

Great 3 point shooting and mid range
                          Great Ball Handling for his size
                          good inside play and driving abilities

I like the guy and I want him to be a great Raptor, but I think he would be better suited with a guy like Okefor, Bogut, Perkins, Horford, Dalembert, Bynum, etc. playing center with him playing PF.

I don't see us getting a majority of those guys lol I've posted that we should make a trade for Okefor though and I think it would be possible.
                          Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 27, 2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

If we had a team made up like this we wouldn't be a lottery team...

Okefor
                            Bargs
                            Gay
                            DeMar (providing that DeMar improves to a 15 pt player... he's a hard worker)
                            Collison

Jack
                            Amir
                            Weems
                            Ed Davis
                            Belinelli
                            Alabi
                            and a good sixth man through a Turk or Calderon trade

Comment

8 rebounds!!! oh man, have you ever watched raptor basketball. 8 rebounds is like a career high for this kid, pulling him farther away from the basket isnt going to get him more rebounds, its not going to make him go and get the rebounds. he has to want it, and hustle for it. something he doesnt do. I would love him too, but dont get carried away. he averaged 35 mins per game and only took down 6.2 rebounds a game. 8 is a dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X