Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors/Magic Hedo Trade Rumours Active Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors/Magic Hedo Trade Rumours Active Again?

"According to the Orlando Sentinel, the Toronto Raptors have offered to trade their Turkish player, Hedo Turkoglu, for the Pole, who may be transferred alongside French team-mate Mickael Pietrus."

http://www.thenews.pl/sport/artykul1...ave-magic.html

This had come up before but seems to have been resurrected again with the drafting of Orton in Orlando.

More defense is a good thing.

Gortat and Pietrus would be two very nice additions especially since Davis and Johnson are not really centers.

So up front you would probably have

Johnson/Davis
    Barganani/Gortat
    Pietrus/Weems
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Gortat would fix the hole behind Bargnani. They could start both together if Davis and Johnson both aren't ready to fill the PF slot. Pietrus would start along side of DeRozan and would offer a lot of hustle and defense. I really like this trade from our perspective. From the Hedo's perspective it works as well. The baby gets his bottle.

Comment

Ummm. Nice study in how rumours get spread. The article on the Polish site quotes the Orlando Sentinel article in which Otis Smith stated Turkoglu had been discussed but those talks have (thus far) gone nowhere. It then guesses, for lack of a better word, that Pietrus and Gortat would be traded. It also seems to indicate that the Raptors are one of the "best" franchises in the Eastern Conference. Basically, it sounds like the Smith quote plus a bunch of conjecture by guys like us on the internet about what the Raptors might get if Orlando decided to take Turk back. Put another way, it's probably pure b.s.

I have a hard time imagining the Magic, championship contenders that they could be, taking back Turk after dumping him. They suspected he'd dog it with a new contract and knew he wasn't worth it. And they were right. What's changed. Maybe losing to Boston changes things but I don't see it.

Comment

Now this I can get excited about. Gortat is a great rebounder, a solid pick-setter and a true presence in the paint. This would be a very good move for the Raptors and considerably improve their defense.

Comment

If this gets done I will be very happy. Both Pietris and Gortat are guys coming from a team with a great coach and a defense first system. I especially like Gortat in this deal, he is young and very ambitious and could probably start at Center and push Bargs over to the four.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If this trade actually gets resurrected (which I doubt), the Raps will have to give up something along with Hedo to get Gortat AND Pietrus. I'd say a future draft pick or some sort of younger prospect would have to be included..

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Gortat would fix the hole behind Bargnani.
                He could also fix the hole in front of Bargnani.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  Now this I can get excited about. Gortat is a great rebounder, a solid pick-setter and a true presence in the paint. This would be a very good move for the Raptors and considerably improve their defense.
                  Not too mention a very good mid range shot so he will be able to spread the floor a little bit. I hope this is true and add to very good character players to this young team.
                  "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    He could also fix the hole in front of Bargnani.
                    Sure... Ah damn it.

Comment

Sam wrote: View Post
                      ....I have a hard time imagining the Magic, championship contenders that they could be, taking back Turk after dumping him. They suspected he'd dog it with a new contract and knew he wasn't worth it. And they were right. What's changed. Maybe losing to Boston changes things but I don't see it.
                      I wont quarrel with the general assessment that this maybe nothing but "b.s.".

However, when Smith first confirmed the talks (and that nothing had come of it), what changed was the draft. They ended up with Orton. Your assessment that the Magic "dumped" Hedo is speculation at best. I recall comments by Smith and other reports that Hedo's price and contract length were a tad too rich and this most would have agreed with. However, their replacement acquisition, Carter, didnt particularly pan out as expected, much more expensive (per year) and Lewis was an absolute failure in the Boston series.

There are viable reasons why a deal can in fact be done with the Magic incl. familiarity with the player/system.
                      Last edited by Bendit; Tue Jun 29, 2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Say this were to be true, AND we were able to grab Luol Deng from the Bulls in a S&T...Holy Smoking Monkey would we have something good going on.

I think a four man big rotation of Bargs, Johnson, Gortat and Davis is excellent. Rebounding, athelticism, youth, some shooting, lotsa defense - both help and man on man. The different matchups that can be thrown out would give us a front court to combat any team out there.

Throw in Pietrus and Deng at the 3 and you've got a SF rotation with defense, leadership and a spot up distance shooter [Pietrus] and scoring and rebounding [Deng], and I think Pietrus is exactly the kind of Battier-type veteran that the Raps will need. Imagine having Deng as a 6th man...

Say we have Pietrus, Johnson and Bargs start at the 3, 4 and 5. That's a nearly perfect situation for Bargnani to excel, and while not stellar overall, is good going forward and places us in the upper-tier, rebuilding wise. Then say our second unit consists of Deng, Davis and Gortat. That's good enough to be a starting front court rotation for many other teams.

In short, I like this a lot.

In terms of getting Deng, I think Bosh to Miami is a smoke screen to drive up Bosh's price.

Comment

I have a feeling that Orlando will be asking us to include a draft pick as well.

Comment

It makes sense for Orlando to take Turkoglu back;
                            Barnes is a FA and he is not a starting SF;
                            He is a great back-up SF;

Gortat + Peitrus for Turkoglu makes sense financially for both teams but Toronto would have to throw in a First Round Pick to get it done for sure;

First round pick included and Orlando would do the deal right away;

Gortat and Peitrus are owed around 40 millions and that's close enough for the 44 millions owed to Turkoglu;

Gortat would be Bargniani back-up and round-up a good front line with Davis and Amir Johnson and Pietrus would be a good winger off the bench; The only problem is the Raptors would have again to worry about getting a starting SF; Maybe having a trade exception hopefully from the Bosh deal would help with that;

Comment

Im okay with giving up a draft pick in this trade for 3 reasons.

1. We're most likely to grab a draft pick from someone if we get any kind of S&T with Bosh.
                              2. Between Amir, Ed Davis, Weems, Derozan, Bargnani and Alabi we've got plenty of youth to go around for now besides. This becomes particularly true if Chicago is involved in a S&T, where James Johnson and Taj Gibson are real possibilities for return.
                              3. Gortat in a few years - if Alabi develops into the player I hope he may - would definitely be a good trade asset, potentially netting us a draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X