Did Colangelo Get It All Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Colangelo Get It All Wrong?

Great piece from Kelly Dwyer from "Ball Don't Lie" regarding Colangelo and how he's been revealed.

I'm quoting more than I should, but this is worth the read.

Most GMs, be they new hires or incumbent holdovers, are usually afforded one franchise-type talent in their attempt at the ring. These talents don't have to be as prominent as a LeBron James(notes) or come as hyped as a Greg Oden(notes), but there are enough talents to go around, and give each of these personnel bosses one with which to work. Then, with the patience of ownership and a short window of cap space and pre-contract expiration for the star in question, the GM gets one chance to get it all right.

Bryan Colangelo didn't get it all right with Chris Bosh(notes). Actually, he got most of it wrong. And this is why Bosh, in Colangelo's own words, is "likely" to leave Toronto sometime this summer.

Which is a shame, because Toronto itself didn't really do anything to deserve losing its best player without compensation. The Raptors fans remain rabid and intelligent; a good decade after quite a few of them remained, well, rabid. Playing at the Air Canada Centre, even if you're pulling down one win for every two tries, seems like a pretty worthwhile experience.
    The problem was Colangelo's execution, and the seeming arrogance that came with it.

The guy has more or less been revealed. And as damning as his big moves have been, the smaller ones tell nearly as big a story. The hiring of bit players whose names had been tossed around the NBA for a while, but ones that any scout with any salt tossed over his shoulder (or, perhaps, an understanding of advanced pro basketball statistical metrics) would have run far, far away from.
    Click the link below to read the entire column. It's good and opens your eyes to perhaps what Colangelo hasn't done while in Toronto. Build a winner.

Source - Click here

I completely agree that this is all on Colangelo. Been saying it for months now. Bosh will be held accountable to the fans for leaving when if any of them was tossed into such a losing environment in their career they would want to bail as well.

Comment

Disagree.

When BC brought in JO the notion was for him and CB to play "inside out".

Unfortunately, CB refused to dump the ball into JO. The ball stuck in his hands, as it did for 7 years. BOOM, trade JO. Get Marion. System worked a bit better as Marion would run and simply not pass to Bosh.

BC brought in shooters such as Turk, Kapono, and to a certain extent, Bargs. So during set plays these guys are running around looking for open perimeter shots. Ball sticks in Bosh's hands, everything rests on him. Talent wasted.

BC's best move will be letting Bosh leave. Now we can see his real genius unfold.

Mark my words, this will be the most exciting Raptors season ever!

Comment

I disagree. O'Neal killed the flow. When dumped to him it stopped there.

Colangelo tried to make good moves. No one is accusing him of not trying. People are accusing him of not making the right moves. You explain to me how those were the right moves in a convincing case and I'll support you for political office. In the real world the boss takes the blame. In Raptorsland the boss gets a pass because of charisma and big collars.
        Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 29, 2010, 05:20 PM.

Comment

The boss made 1 critical error. Continuing the mentality of his predecessors in thinking you could build a TEAM around Bosh with other pieces.

he should never have extended Bosh, and instead should have traded him and found more team-oriented players who were willing to pass.

I disagree with you on JO, he was more willing to dish out to CB, then establish deeper post positioning. CB would not dump the ball back in. It happened every game.

Comment

Do you think Tim Duncan himself could have led that motley crew to anything of significance?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Do you think Tim Duncan himself could have led that motley crew to anything of significance?
              In the Eastern Conference - yes.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Actually, I think Duncan could have. If you look at his assembled team over the years, it had sharpshooters, European players, old tough vets. Similar to us. One difference is they have an amaaaaazing coach.

But honestly, Timmy D, Bargs, Turk/Weems/Belli/Kapono/Parker, Jose/Jack/TJ/Roko (maybe), we could have had a chance for sure.

In San An the leader is obviously Pop and then Parker. Timmy D is a beast but is pretty soft spoken.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  In the Eastern Conference - yes.
                  Well I'll have to agree to disagree. Duncan never has the ball in his hands in the dieing seconds, those moments on offense have always been handled by Parker and Manu. It would be interesting to see how he would overcome botched play calls, lack of help defense and one on one breakdowns.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I disagree. I O'Neal killed the flow. When dumped to him it stopped there.

Colangelo tried to make good moves. No one is accusing him of not trying. People are accusing him of not making the right moves. You explain to me how those were the right moves in a convincing case and I'll support you for political office. In the real world the boss takes the blame. In Raptorsland the boss gets a pass because of charisma and big collars.
                    I have been a big fan of BC since day one. I like how he is aggressive and how he admits to his mistakes and then tries aggressively to fix them.

However, for the last 2 years, he has failed as a GM. His gambles did not pay off and he was even on the losing end of the 50-50 situations.

His hiring of Triano was the biggest mistake ( if he was not forced by the up stair people in the organization).

I think this is his last summer in Toronto and it is all on him to do the following:

1) Move Bosh and get something of a value in return.

2) Move Hedo

3) Move Jose

4) Move Reggie and Banks

All of the above are hard tasks to do but his resume will be judged based on that and his ability to bounce back and put us on the right rebuilding process.

Anything short of the 4 above and he has officially failed miserably and should be next to go.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      Disagree.

When BC brought in JO the notion was for him and CB to play "inside out".

Unfortunately, CB refused to dump the ball into JO. The ball stuck in his hands, as it did for 7 years. BOOM, trade JO. Get Marion. System worked a bit better as Marion would run and simply not pass to Bosh.

BC brought in shooters such as Turk, Kapono, and to a certain extent, Bargs. So during set plays these guys are running around looking for open perimeter shots. Ball sticks in Bosh's hands, everything rests on him. Talent wasted.

BC's best move will be letting Bosh leave. Now we can see his real genius unfold.

Mark my words, this will be the most exciting Raptors season ever!

Trading away TJ Ford (speedster able to stay in front of his man) Rasho and a first round pick for an aging, injury prone O'neal, was a bone head move. Especially since Jose's value was very high at the time, Colangelo easily could have swapped Jose for a scoring 2 guard.

Chris Bosh was the best player on the team, in the NBA you gotta take advantage of your mismatch... Bosh was our only consistant mismatch advantage.

The non existant off the ball movement is what slowed the offense down. If your shooters don't move around the defense locks in... no passing lane = no pass.

Colangelo and the coaching staff failed the team. There is no debate here at all.
                      Last edited by BomKeyzi; Tue Jun 29, 2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I am surprised no one (unless I missed it) has mentioned that BC's intent was (and probably a good reason why he was hired) to turn the Raps into Suns north. Run & gun. He failed to understand his personnel (eg. no pg like Nash) and made many moves to further this philosophy. The last 2-3 yrs has been spent essentially trying to acquire players to ostensibly improve the team in a modified approach (to the run&gun) but also to impress Bosh enough to have him stay. I would not be surprised if he did not consult CB on at least the Triano hire and the Hedo signing. The philosophy was the mistake...and impatience and trading picks.

Comment

@Multipaul....re: ur Avatar
                          That is some very funny sh*t right there.

Comment

RikkJames wrote: View Post
                            @Multipaul....re: ur Avatar
                            That is some very funny sh*t right there.
                            Thanks dude. Likewise, "show Charlie Murphy yo t*****"

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              I am surprised no one (unless I missed it) has mentioned that BC's intent was (and probably a good reason why he was hired) to turn the Raps into Suns north. Run & gun. He failed to understand his personnel (eg. no pg like Nash) and made many moves to further this philosophy. The last 2-3 yrs has been spent essentially trying to acquire players to ostensibly improve the team in a modified approach (to the run&gun) but also to impress Bosh enough to have him stay. I would not be surprised if he did not consult CB on at least the Triano hire and the Hedo signing. The philosophy was the mistake...and impatience and trading picks.
                              Agreed. BC appeared to be eager to build a run-and-gun team to outscore the competition, but he built them around Bosh... hardly a run-and-gun kind of guy. Given Bosh's strengths, I would think a team that could grind the floor on offense, shut the door on defense, and vacuum up rebounds at both ends would be the best structure.

I just don't understand having a fast-break team built around a guy who like to mix it up down low all night long.

Comment

Working...
                              X