Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Trying to Acquire Young Players & Draft Picks for Bosh

This via Marc Spears from Yahoo Sports!:

Sources said the Raptors will try to acquire draft picks and young players in return for Chris Bosh.

They would likely ask for Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers in any deal with the Miami Heat.

If Bosh were to go to the Chicago Bulls, the Raptors are interested in Taj Gibson and Joakim Noah, though Noah could prove impossible to pry from Chicago.

If Bosh settles on the Knicks, the Raptors would try to engage in a double sign-and-trade that sends Knicks forward David Lee to Toronto.

Sources called a potential sign-and-trade with the Los Angeles Lakers “doubtful.”
    Source - Click here

Well, all that is better than nothing.

Comment

Yuck to those. Beasley, Gibson and Lee are power forwards. We have plenty of those - unless they would be taken on simply to be used as trade bait. Or unless Beasley and Gibson could somehow play the 3.

I don't think Beasley is as bad as everyone claims, though his attitude could be the problem. Guy doesn't want to play, it seems, though that's mostly hearsay.

I can't fathom liking this team with David Lee. I simply don't want him here.

Noah, though, NOAH. Yeah, I want Noah. Not happening, from what I understand, but that would be like some kinda raptors-related trading scenario wet dream (so long as it was raining outside, and my roof was leaking).

I'm not sure those proposals make all that much sense, to be honest. Stein's usually a no-nonsense kinda guy (?), but I gotta say, Deng and James Johnson make more sense than Gibson does. As does Wilson Chandler over David Lee.

In all honesty, i'd rather receive a massive traded player exception and as many picks as we can get than players - particularly PFs - simply to make salaries match (unless, like I said at the beginning, they were to be taken on simply to be moved again).

Comment

Whoah...misread that. Marc Spears. Not Marc Stein. That makes me feel better that those scenario's are probably less true.

Comment

Jeff, at this point in the game the Raptors have lost. They should take any trade assets they can get and worry about making it work later. They're not making the playoffs next season and so don't pay too much attention to team needs, it doesn't matter. I don't care if they have six PF on the roster after July 1st. It's about collecting assets. They'll make it work somehow whether it be bringing a third team into play or moving someone else.

Comment

Beasley? Why in the world would the Raps want a player that Miami can't even GIVE away? Somebody please explain this to me. If Bosh goes to Miami, just let him go. I'd rather do that then take back Beasley.

Comment

They should take any trade assets they can get and worry about making it work later...They'll make it work somehow whether it be bringing a third team into play or moving someone else.
              That's why I said, "unless they would be taken on simply to be used as trade bait."

and,

"(unless, like I said at the beginning, they were to be taken on simply to be moved again)."

Comment

geebee, the Heat are trying to move him to generate extra cap space. The Heat are looking for $4,962,240 going out and nothing coming back. Most teams who can do a trade like that have placed themselves in that position so that they can make a play at a free agent they have targeted. I don't believe for a second that 29 teams would rather pass on a guy they can get virtually for free with that kind of talent and with only one year left on contract. It doesn't make sense. If it were just about moving Beasley there would be many takers willing to pawn off a contract they didn't want on to the Heat. The Heat aren't looking for that though. Cap space if highly valuable to them. This is all about cap space to try and land James and Bosh or two big time stars. People are overrating what this says about Beasley completely.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  geebee, the Heat are trying to move him to generate extra cap space. The Heat are looking for $4,962,240 going out and nothing coming back. Most teams who can do a trade like that have placed themselves in that position so that they can make a play at a free agent they have targeted. I don't believe for a second that 29 teams would rather pass on a guy they can get virtually for free with that kind of talent and with only one year left on contract. It doesn't make sense. If it were just about moving Beasley there would be many takers willing to pawn off a contract they didn't want on to the Heat. The Heat aren't looking for that though. Cap space if highly valuable to them. This is all about cap space to try and land James and Bosh or two big time stars. People are overrating what this says about Beasley completely.
                  That all makes sense, except everybody seems to agree that anybody doing a sign-and-trade with Miami will likely get Beasley in return.

If Miami would be willing to let Beasley go in a sign-and-trade, then why are they trying to give him away for free? If they lost Beasley for free, they'd have to give up someone ELSE in a sign-and-trade.

I'm sorry. I'm really not knowledgeable in all this contract lingo, but that seems inconsistent to me. Either he's going to be the sign-and-trade sacrifice to get a max player back, or he's being offered up as a freebie. So which is it?

Are they trying to give him away to free up cap room, or are they going to use him in a sign-and-trade to get a max player?

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                    If Miami would be willing to let Beasley go in a sign-and-trade, then why are they trying to give him away for free? If they lost Beasley for free, they'd have to give up someone ELSE in a sign-and-trade.
                    If they can't move Beasley now they're going to try via a S&T but if they move him now they can re-sign Wade and be able to sign James and Bosh outright for the correct coinage they're willing to accept. What would you rather do, move Beasley and take back nothing or have a team strong arm you for draft picks because they know you can't accomplish your objectives without moving Beasley? This is all about leverage. Moving Beasley for nothing will cost them less than doing a S&T with a team.

EDIT: To better help you understand...

The Sun Sentinel has learned that the three star free agents have gone as far as to acknowledge that it might not be possible for the Heat to clear the needed space to start each of the three at the $16.6 million maximum salary that they would be eligible for in the first year of new contracts.

According to the source, the three have agreed to consider to "split the money up," if need be.
                    Source: Sun Sentinel

There's more cake to go around with Beasley out of the picture. There are more assets remaining if they avoid a S&T.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 30, 2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Ok, so they'd rather not do a S&T. I get that. But if James or Bosh want their max, it means a S&T doesn't it? They can't make the same deal Cleveland or Toronto could do, right?

I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm just trying to understand. Clearly, if Miami is taking back a max player, Beasley is gone one way or the other. But if they give Beasley away for nothing in order to make room for Bosh, but Bosh DEMANDS the S&T to get his max money, then they'll have to give away something ELSE, right? Which means' they'd lose Beasley for nothing and then STILL have to give up a lot in a S&T....

I must be missing something.

Comment

dont read too much into this article. His sources are in complete disagreement with everyone I have talked to. I have heard that the Raps have no interest in Beasley or David Lee. And that while a s&t with LA is less likely, it is not out of the questions- since LA (and any team without max cap space) actually has assets to part with that could be of benefit to the Raps.
                        hit me in my inbox: phdsteve@gmail.com and don't forget to check out my weekly Wednesday Podcast: [I]The Doctor is In[I] right here at raptorsrepublic.com

Comment

Ok, so they'd rather not do a S&T. I get that. But if James or Bosh want their max, it means a S&T doesn't it? They can't make the same deal Cleveland or Toronto could do, right?
                          If they want a real max contract then a S&T needs to happen. If they're willing to settle for what I'll call an "open market" max contract, the most a team can offer who does not hold his Bird rights, then Beasley has to go. It's been reported that they're willing to take a little less to play together.

I'm not trying to annoy you. I'm just trying to understand. Clearly, if Miami is taking back a max player, Beasley is gone one way or the other. But if they give Beasley away for nothing in order to make room for Bosh, but Bosh DEMANDS the S&T to get his max money, then they'll have to give away something ELSE, right? Which means' they'd lose Beasley for nothing and then STILL have to give up a lot in a S&T....

I must be missing something.
                          You're not annoying me. I get it.

My answer to this is the Heat would not be making such a strong play to dump Beasley if they felt Bosh wasn't willing to accept less. We've heard of multiple times now where Wade has met with Bosh. That's what the media knows of but what about what they've potentially missed? Phone calls, emails, etc? It's tampering for the Heat to contact Bosh right now but it's relatively easy for a team to tamper by using a friend of Bosh as the medium... A friend like Wade? My guess is he has already heard the Heat's pitch via Wade. Bosh knows their plan and what they have to offer.

phdsteve wrote: View Post
                          dont read too much into this article. His sources are in complete disagreement with everyone I have talked to. I have heard that the Raps have no interest in Beasley or David Lee. And that while a s&t with LA is less likely, it is not out of the questions- since LA (and any team without max cap space) actually has assets to part with that could be of benefit to the Raps.
                          Right. We've heard speculation one way and unnamed sources another. Pick your poison friends.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 30, 2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Ok, so there's a conclusion in there you'd made that makes this work. If I understand you correctly, then Miami is trying to dump Beasley's salary because they believe that Bosh will sign with Miami without demanding a max contract, correct? Hence, no need for a S&T. So, you've concluded based on what they're doing that Bosh will be in Miami next year?

That's the missing piece I was looking for. Thanks!

If you're right... and if there are no takers for Beasley by July 1, then can Miami still afford Bosh with Beasley still on the books? Or, is that when they'd do the S&T for him?

Comment

Ok, so there's a conclusion in there you'd made that makes this work. If I understand you correctly, then Miami is trying to dump Beasley's salary because they believe that Bosh will sign with Miami without demanding a max contract, correct? Hence, no need for a S&T. So, you've concluded based on what they're doing that Bosh will be in Miami next year?

That's the missing piece I was looking for. Thanks!

If you're right... and if there are no takers for Beasley by July 1, then can Miami still afford Bosh with Beasley still on the books? Or, is that when they'd do the S&T for him?
                              I think if he's still on the books July 1st they'll still try to move him in a cap slash if they can as opposed to going through the Raptors. This is all opinion based on everything I've read. Don't take this as fact.

EDIT: Even if my Bosh theory is off, its been reported that the Cavs aren't willing to S&T and the rest of the top FA's can probably be had from less than max. What that means is it's still in the Heat's best interest to avoid S&T's. That way they get to keep their trade exception, Mario Chalmers, their draft picks and prospects.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 30, 2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X