• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergy Stats - Offense Efficiency - Amir vs Amar'e

http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/sho...php?p=13931617

Old 07/03/10, 07:42 PM
    djsunyc General Manager

Someone elsewhere has access to synergy sports stats - the folks that do advanced stats for the nba. here are stats of amare stoudamire and then amir johnson. PPP stands for points per possession or how many points they make in each situation. the column on the right is their ranking in the ENTIRE nba. (offensive reb means points scored after they grab an offensive board)

amare stoudamire

pick & roll:---------------1.21 ppp,-----18th
    post-up:------------------ 0.98 ppp,---- 28th
    offensive reb:----------- 1.15 ppp,---- 76th
    transition:---------------- 1.27 ppp,---- 76th
    overall:------------------- 1.07 ppp,---- 20th

amir johnson

pick & roll:----------------1.38 ppp,----- 4th
    post-up:------------------- 1.21 ppp,----- 4th
    offensive reb:------------ 1.28 ppp,---- 25th
    transition:----------------- 1.54 ppp,----- 4th
    overall:-------------------- 1.14 ppp,----- 6th

ok, amare plays a ton more minutes and amir's biggest issue is his foul rate. but for the time he does play, he is one of the most efficient scoring players in the entire league (for all positions).
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Here is a link to Synergy that gives you some information about the stats that they provide. You can click on the top of the page if you want to go further.

Synergy FAQ
    -------------------
    https://secure.mysynergysports.com/FAQ.aspx
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Amir Johnson had a .623 fg%. He's obviously not being asked to create his own shot, but he bolsters the defense and doesn't hurt the offense at all.

Comment

Amir's stats are heavily, heavily influenced by the fact that he's not asked to do anything on offence and defers almost everything. Maybe his #s can stay positive after heavy usage and against 1st team defence, but let's not start with crazy comparisons.

Comment

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
          Amir's stats are heavily, heavily influenced by the fact that he's not asked to do anything on offence and defers almost everything. Maybe his #s can stay positive after heavy usage and against 1st team defence, but let's not start with crazy comparisons.
          He played a lot of minutes against first team players last season.

He is not going to be Bosh and score 25 ppg.

I doubt if he ever will score 20 ppg because he is not selfish enough on offense.

Almost all #4s and #5s need someone to pass the ball to them for most of their shots. He has shown he can create off the dribble successfully and efficiently from either elbow spot.

The point is is that he is highly efficient at scoring when he gets the ball passed to him. One of the most efficient in the league. So it behooves the Raptors to run plays for him in 2010-11.

I think if he ever can get up 30 mpg or more he can average 17 + ppg with a high degree of efficiency as a third or maybe a second option on offense depending on who the Raptors are playing. I doubt seriously that he will ever be the first option on offense. He doesn't need to, the rest of his game, especially his defense compensates for him never being the go to guy on the team.

Comment

Soooo true.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              He played a lot of minutes against first team players last season.

He is not going to be Bosh and score 25 ppg.

I doubt if he ever will score 20 ppg because he is not selfish enough on offense.
              Are you saying this because you watched him play or because it's an article of faith?

He came off the bench for most of the year and played against bench players most of the time, esp. in the 2nd quarters with Jose. I agree re. the rest but to justify his money he needs to do more than just finish broken plays and the odd P&R. And he needs to stay on the floor.

As compared to Amare, he spent a lot of time against backups.

Comment

I love that alley oop thing him and jc have. I'm worried that if we loose jc,Jack won't be the playmaker I think he needs.

Comment

Are you saying this because you watched him play or because it's an article of faith?

He came off the bench for most of the year and played against bench players most of the time, esp. in the 2nd quarters with Jose. I agree re. the rest but to justify his money he needs to do more than just finish broken plays and the odd P&R. And he needs to stay on the floor.

If you go back and watch the games you will see that very few teams mass substitute five bench guys for five starters. He played a lot of minutes when the other teams had starters on the court. As you recall the Raptors used primarily a three man big man rotation especially after the all-star break with Bargnani, Bosh and Johnson getting most of the minutes. So he was on the court almost all of the time with Bosh or Barganani when there were starters out there by both teams.

Now it is true that he himself played against a bench player most of the time but its not like his offense was one on one isolation. He will be just as effective against starters on offense and maybe even more so. The reason is that the first unit has more scoring options so he will be not be doubled teamed playing on the first unit where he may have been on the second unit.

He has been an efficient scorer throughout his basketball career at every level from high school up through last year. There is no reason think that it will fall off.

As he goes up in levels against better competition his game will also improve through more experience, coaching and developing additional facets to his offense.

Just watch the games and you will notice he just has a way of getting the ball to go in the basket a lot more efficiently than most other players. It just happens. Shots others struggle with he gets to go.

Not I am not saying that he will shoot 65% in the playoffs in 2010-11 but I would venture to say that it will be close to 60%.

We shall see. In the end it will be what it will be. He is finally getting a legitimate chance to go out and play his game after four years of freeze out on the offense by the Pistons both in coaching and on the court during games.

The
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jul 4, 2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Usage and efficiency tend to be negatively correlated. Use him more and that efficiency should, by convention, come down.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      ....He has shown he can create off the dribble successfully...
                      Wait what? I'm a fan of Amir's game but when has he been asked to create off the dribble?

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                        Usage and efficiency tend to be negatively correlated. Use him more and that efficiency should, by convention, come down.
                        This.

Comment

These stat sare very misleading and are one of the reason I hate advanced stats. Amir is a good player, but he is nowhere as near as offensively gifted as a guy like Stoudemire and it is downright silly to look at the two of them and say, "well the stats say Amir is better". Amir seems like a very efficient scorer because he is the fifth option when he is on the floor so he gets a lot of garbage points, that is all.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Most stats are your friend when viewed in the correct context.

Comment

No, to justify his money he needs to rebound, block shots and play defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X