Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Raptors Pursue a S&T with Miami?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should the Raptors Pursue a S&T with Miami?

    The new poll on the site asks this question:

    http://raptorsrepublic.com/

    I say, yes. Michael Beasley is a talent we can either use or ship in a trade. Mario Chalmers is a backup PG which we need once we ship out Jose Calderon.

    With Bosh gone, Amir re-signed, and our cap-holds released, we have about $2M of salary-cap space which doesn't mean a thing so to say that the cap space released by Bosh walking away is going to come to use is unrealistic.

  • #2
    If Bosh has already agreed to a deal that apparently is a straight sign what incentive does Miami have for offering to change it to a S&T?

    I see no reason that the Heat would give up anything if Bosh isn't asking them to. It is clear that Bosh has cut all ties with Canada so I really don't understand the reason behind the poll.

    Clarification would be appreciated.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes indeed!

      We need to accumulate as much young talent and trade assets (TPE) as possible in order to give ourselves as many future options and possibilities to successfully rebuild this franchise.

      As it stands, we are approx. $2M from the salary cap which doesn't leave us with any money to sign any of the dozens of quality free agents that are presently available.

      I will be absolutely shocked if BC doesn't agree to a s&t deal for, at the very least, Beasley & a $12+M TPE.
      RR OG

      Comment


      • #4
        Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        If Bosh has already agreed to a deal that apparently is a straight sign what incentive does Miami have for offering to change it to a S&T?

        I see no reason that the Heat would give up anything if Bosh isn't asking them to. It is clear that Bosh has cut all ties with Canada so I really don't understand the reason behind the poll.

        Clarification would be appreciated.
        Bosh is certainly not going to refuse to accept the extra money and year on his contract. The idea is to make it worth Miami's while, too. Yes, I am self promoting here, but instead of typing out my argument again and again, I wrote it on my blog once...
        http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...anything-back/

        The idea is that if the Raptors agree to take Beasley back, it gives the Raptors a little leverage and gives the Heat incentive to do a deal.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

        Comment


        • #5
          hell yes what about the rick buecher reporting? we need at the least to acquire a couple 1st rd picks and someone like chalmers i dont really care if we get beasley or not but hell yes we need to get something in return

          Comment


          • #6
            I say yes. If they can get picks, a TPE and Beasley then that's pretty good. Even Beasley's biggest opponents must realize that he only has a year left on contract. That's low risk in my books and the Heat probably jump all over it to create more cap for other guys.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, we need the S&T. Either a first rounder and Beasley and TPE, or just a conditional that has no chance of ever happening, plus the TPE. Failing to get at least a TPE would, in my opinion be a major failing on the part of Colangelo.

              Comment


              • #8
                As far as I can tell Riley gave Bosh a reach around and told him not to go for a sign and trade and so Bosh told the Raptors to screw off.

                Either that or Colangelo is sticking it to Riley out of spite for raping him the second time. Colangelo will have alot of questions to answer to if he didn't wish to acquire anything back.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Bosh is certainly not going to refuse to accept the extra money and year on his contract. The idea is to make it worth Miami's while, too. Yes, I am self promoting here, but instead of typing out my argument again and again, I wrote it on my blog once...
                  http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...anything-back/

                  The idea is that if the Raptors agree to take Beasley back, it gives the Raptors a little leverage and gives the Heat incentive to do a deal.
                  Hi Tim,

                  If the Heat are still pursuing LeBron then I can see why they'd be happy if we took Beasley, but I don't see what would compel them to take anything back in the trade. I would submit that offering to take Beasley is the only thing that would make Riley consider a S&T at all. Why would he take back pieces if he's trying to get rid of one?

                  I agree with Buddhafan. Riley has Bosh. He really doesn't need anything else of us.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Absolutely, a S & T is necessary.
                    I am not interested in 2-3 years of painfully watching the Raptors rebuild again!!!!!
                    Take back Beasley, Chalmers , draft picks & Large TPE. Give them Calderon to seal the deal.
                    Lets get Al Jefferson or Okafor & Collison and we will be OK.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We need Beasley in the S&T, if not, then we'll be under the cap and lose our MLE (Kleiza?).

                      Though if we're truly rebuilding then that doesn't matter really..
                      Last edited by f91ultra; Wed Jul 7, 2010, 07:34 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Bosh is certainly not going to refuse to accept the extra money and year on his contract. The idea is to make it worth Miami's while, too. Yes, I am self promoting here, but instead of typing out my argument again and again, I wrote it on my blog once...
                        http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...anything-back/

                        The idea is that if the Raptors agree to take Beasley back, it gives the Raptors a little leverage and gives the Heat incentive to do a deal.
                        You are dancing around the reality as I understand it.

                        Bosh has already accepted the Miami offer and it doesn't include a S&T. That is my understanding.

                        Not everyone is as greedy as you make them out
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                        Memories some so sweet, indeed

                        Larger Photo of the avatar



                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          f91ultra wrote: View Post
                          We need Beasley in the S&T, if not, then we'll be under the cap and lose our MLE (Kleiza?).

                          Though if we're truly rebuilding then that doesn't matter really..
                          That's only correct if they renounce their exceptions.

                          20. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

                          If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

                          So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $49.5 million, and a team has $43 million committed to salaries. They also have a Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a Traded Player exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $53.5 million, or $4 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use their exceptions.

                          Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $43 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).
                          Source: Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Possible sneaky move by Pat Riley....

                            I believe Riley and Wade wanted Bosh to say to the media that he's going to the Heat so they can corner Colengelo. Bosh gets his max deal and Riley benefits from forcing us to take his pieces. Just my 2 cents.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe. Colangelo is reported to be playing hard ball with the S&T scenarios. Bosh wants that extra $30M, everyone knows it and for that reason Bosh has to be leaning towards wanting the Heat to find something that makes Colangelo happy. Any way we spin it we're still talking about $30M on the table in a S&T scenario for Bosh and he's the guy who decides where he's going.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X