Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

    The Raptors have signed Nuggets restricted free agent forward Linas Kleiza to a four-year, $20 million offer sheet, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

    Kleiza terminated contract with Greece's Olympiacos Wednesday, but Denver will have seven days to match Toronto's offer.
    Source - Click here


    No wonder why Bosh left Raptors, the Euro madness continues. I can imagine when BC told CB4 his plans: We will sign Kleiza, please came back, we will be a contender! CB4: Huh? Is he better than Wade or LeBron? BC: Duhhh ... He is Euro!!!

  • #2
    Can we please stop with the fucking racism? No, I'm not European, but this is getting ridiculous. Just because a player is Euro does NOT mean any of the following:

    - He is unathletic
    - He is only good at zone defense and shooting
    - He is bad at defense
    - He is soft
    - He is not good enough for the NBA

    The value of this signing will be on whether or not Kleiza can contribute on the defensive end and the glass. If not, it is a poor signing.

    The timing is also odd. With the dust settling on major free agents, is it really a good idea to tie up our mid-level exception for 7 days?

    Comment


    • #3
      Marz wrote: View Post
      Can we please stop with the fucking racism? No, I'm not European, but this is getting ridiculous. Just because a player is Euro does NOT mean any of the following:

      - He is unathletic
      - He is only good at zone defense and shooting
      - He is bad at defense
      - He is soft
      - He is not good enough for the NBA

      The value of this signing will be on whether or not Kleiza can contribute on the defensive end and the glass. If not, it is a poor signing.

      The timing is also odd. With the dust settling on major free agents, is it really a good idea to tie up our mid-level exception for 7 days?
      I disagree. It has been proven that the European model does not work. Call it racism or whatever you want, but it is reality. I bet at this point these are the only players the Raptors can sign. Just a horrible team.

      Comment


      • #4
        Marz wrote: View Post
        Can we please stop with the fucking racism? No, I'm not European, but this is getting ridiculous. Just because a player is Euro does NOT mean any of the following:

        - He is unathletic
        - He is only good at zone defense and shooting
        - He is bad at defense
        - He is soft
        - He is not good enough for the NBA

        The value of this signing will be on whether or not Kleiza can contribute on the defensive end and the glass. If not, it is a poor signing.

        The timing is also odd. With the dust settling on major free agents, is it really a good idea to tie up our mid-level exception for 7 days?
        Dude, calm down ... where do you see the racism? I am an European myself, so stop being an asshole. Raptors stereotype to sign big contracts to mediocre European players pretty much affects the flexibility of Raptors future development.

        Comment


        • #5
          Relax guys .... insight meant nothing by it. Anyhow, I hope you don't mind insight but I edited the title.

          Anyhow, this is a solid signing with Kleiza. He's a gritty player, solid defender who has a nice outside touch too. I like this move alot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Another Euro;;;

            I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.
            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
            My kitchen is always open to friends"

            Comment


            • #7
              Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              Relax guys .... insight meant nothing by it. Anyhow, I hope you don't mind insight but I edited the title.

              Anyhow, this is a solid signing with Kleiza. He's a gritty player, solid defender who has a nice outside touch too. I like this move alot.
              Two questions:

              1. If he's a great addition, is there any reason to believe the Nuggets won't match?

              2. I've seen a couple comments about timing. Is BC creating a problem for himself by making the offer now, when he has so many other issues to address?

              Comment


              • #8
                Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.
                I guess I'm in the minority, but how is Kleiza a bad signing. He's a physical player who isn't an amazing rebounder, but a decent one. Solid defender and has an offensive touch too. I actually wanted Colangelo to go after him years ago.

                I guess its official then. I'm the president of the Kleiza "fan club".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sounds like a solid rotation signing, but wait and see if Denver matches. I'm guessing they won't because Carmello wants them to add an all-star caliber starter.

                  Kleiza bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linas_Kleiza

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    geebee wrote: View Post
                    1. If he's a great addition, is there any reason to believe the Nuggets won't match?
                    It's a reasonable offer, so there's a good chance Denver will match it. If they choose not too, good gain for us.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      rev20002 wrote: View Post
                      I disagree. It has been proven that the European model does not work. Call it racism or whatever you want, but it is reality. I bet at this point these are the only players the Raptors can sign. Just a horrible team.
                      The Spurs have used overseas players for as long as I remember and none of Duncan, Parker or Ginolbli are American born players and when was the last time they were not among the best teams in the league? A decade and a half ago?
                      Pau and Mark Gasol are arguably two of the best power forwards in the game and Dirk was the best in the game a few years back.
                      European players are not bad, and I would even argue that our team was made much better a few years back by the presence of guys like Garbojosa and Rasho. Using Europeans has it's problems but it is not any less likely to succeed than using american payers.

                      I don't mind this signing if it goes through, not a terrible contract and he will be a good back up if we are keeping Hedo and could be a (weak) starter if we don't. I wonder what happens with Marco if we get this guy though since we'll have 5 swing men under contract.
                      Last edited by hateslosing; Thu Jul 8, 2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: poor wording
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

                      -Churchill

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Refresh my memory but isn't he a PF? He's a decent signing but I'm not sure it's a real position of need. Does he have the skills to be a SF?
                        The Double Champ is here!
                        Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                        Raptors: Larry O'Brien

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Mack North wrote: View Post
                          Refresh my memory but isn't he a PF? He's a decent signing but I'm not sure it's a real position of need. Does he have the skills to be a SF?
                          He is listed as a guard-forward by yahoo sports.
                          http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3953
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

                          -Churchill

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            European players are not the problem as there are plenty of really good Euro players out there (the latest the comes to mind is Nicolas Batum), but rather BC's obsession (Maurizio as well) about them. Kleiza is nice but I'd rather have Outlaw (if healthy - and prolly cheaper too). I don't know anymore. I had an earlier post that alluded to the fact the BC will go down in flames with his Euros. It's just who he is I guess. Considering his game, I can't figure out why Kleinas didn't stick around Denver? It's not like they have a glut of SF's in Denver.

                            Hmmm, what's next, Ersan Ilyasova?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                              I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.
                              I agree. I've been on BC's side even after losing Bosh, but I really thought he had learned his lesson on his continuous obsession with the European players. This tells me that he is done in Toronto and is going to stick with what he laid out from the beginning and will just go down with it and quit/not resign/be fired at years end.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X