Danny Granger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Granger

I am in the favour of retooling as opposed to rebuilding. The one key every franchise needs is an impact player, and unlike Bosh one that can play the 2 or 3.

I think the Raps should go after Danny Granger with the TPE. Perhaps use Turk or Jose in a trade package.

Danny Granger is still young (27 years). He can shoot the lights out and plays decent D. We missed out on him when we got Graham but we can try and get him now. He'd be awesome with the young gunz, and would make us playoff contenders again.

Danny Granger makes 49 million in 4 years, which isn't too bad. 10 million in 2010. Our TPE can cover that and we will still have 4+ mil left over for another asset next year if we need it. We can throw in Bosh's draft picks to make the pot sweeter for Indiana too.

Indiana has stunk it up for the last few years. I'm sure they would love a TPE + draft picks so that they can rebuild.

We can then use Turk or Jose to try and acquire Collison

What do you think?

He's become an injury risk with the torn right plantar fascia he suffered midway through the 2008-09 season. He's only played 66 and 62 games in the two seasons since. When he was healthy, he was lights out and most definitely could've been a franchise player to carry a team. But obviously he would also be untouchable.

Now, you need a team around him to carry the team for ten games at least and you can't put all your eggs in one basket with him in the playoffs either. He's also become overly reliant on the three in the past two seasons, which doesn't look like coincidence to me. I don't think now is the time to swing for a home run. If it doesn't work, you've stunted the rest of the team for at least two years of their youth.

Comment

Danny Granger would be wicked to have! We have depth at the 2 or 3 to cover him if he gets banged up.
      Like I've said for weeks, I would love to see Okefor on this roster, along with collison.

Turk and Miami's draft pick for Granger. This would solve part of the Pacers problem at point guard.

Jack, Banks, and part of trade exception for Okefor and Collison. Even throw a couple second rounders at them (useless anyways)

Starting line up

Okefor
      Bargs
      Granger
      De Mar
      Calderon or Collison

Amir
      Linas
      Ed Davis
      Evans
      Weems
      Calderon or Collison
      Belinelli
      Alibi

Now that's a playoff team.... Defence, rebounding, firepower and depth! The core guys would be locked up in long term contracts. We would still have roughly $11 million in trade exception left to play with at the trade deadline.
      Last edited by saints91; Sat Jul 10, 2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Why would you want another guy who is at best a 2nd option? Granger is a volume shooter, low efficiency with a high PPG simply because somebody on the Pacers needed to take shots. He's a good player to be sure and could thrive with better teammates, but I'm not in favour of stockpiling second fiddles.

Comment

Well, first ofall, I really don't think Indiana is looking to simply give Granger away. I think they'd want more in return that over priced contracts and a trade exception. Secondly, Granger's not the answer for the Raptors. I like him and really wish that Raptors had drafted him when Bosh was still here, but he's not even as good as Bosh. He'd be a good secondary player to an elite player, which the Raptors simply don't have, now. This might give the Raptors a chance at the playoffs, but that's it. It's a bandaid move and not a long term solution.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think this line up would give Miami a run for it's money

Okefor//// Haslim ------ Toronto + 6 points
            Bargs //// Bosh ------- Toronto +4 points Bosh won't be getting the touches he got in Toronto.
            Granger //// Bron ------ Miami +4 points
            De Mar //// Wade ------ Miami +10 points
            Calderon//// Chalmers ------ Toronto + 4 points

Bench

Amir ///// Miller
            Linas ///// Fisher (possibly)
            Weems ///// **** rest of misfits
            Collison
            Bellinelli
            Ed Davis
            Evans
            Alibi

Toronto bench + 20 points

Each are based on point differentials. Also in my opinion on how each would perform this up coming season

YES THis IS MY BIAS OPINION!
            Last edited by saints91; Sat Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 AM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
              I think this line up would give Miami a run for it's money

Okefor//// Haslim ------ Toronto + 6 points
              Bargs //// Bosh ------- Toronto +4 points Bosh won't be getting the touches he got in Toronto.
              Granger //// Bron ------ Miami +4 points
              De Mar //// Wade ------ Miami +10 points
              Calderon//// Chalmers ------ Toronto + 4 points

Bench

Amir ///// Miller
              Linas ///// Fisher (possibly)
              Weems ///// **** rest of misfits
              Collison
              Bellinelli
              Ed Davis
              Evans
              Alibi

Toronto bench + 20 points

Each are based on point differentials. Also in my opinion on how each would perform this up coming season

YES THis IS MY BIAS OPINION!
              You're out of your mind. There is more to basketball than offense, and even then the way you've presented it above is incredibly simplistic.

Comment

Yes it is simplistic! Last time I checked basketball is won by teams scoring more than the other team.

So basically I put down how much a player would outscore the other in a given game. Defense and rebounding are all included throughout the game and that's what these players scored. Yes my predictions are far fetched and based on nothing.

But if you are saying this is simplistic, so is any prediction on outcome.

Toronto 104 Miami 99

Toronto wins.... but where is the defense and rebounding stats????

Comment

Maybe if we had 8 games of 1 on 1 going between Toronto and Miami players it could possibly work out that way.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yes it is simplistic! Last time I checked basketball is won by teams scoring more than the other team.

So basically I put down how much a player would outscore the other in a given game. Defense and rebounding are all included throughout the game and that's what these players scored. Yes my predictions are far fetched and based on nothing.

But if you are saying this is simplistic, so is any prediction on outcome.

Toronto 104 Miami 99

Toronto wins.... but where is the defense and rebounding stats????
                    You know, when I started watching basketball as a young kid, my first impression was that whoever won the opening tip would win the game, since they seemed to score every time down the court. Obviously as that first game progressed, I realized that wasn't the case.

Here's the thing: the model you presented doesn't take into account how the actual players would interact in a 5on5 setting.

For example you can't say that Wade would only outscore DeRozan by 10, because if the Heat made it their game plan to attack DeRozan then wade could easily hang 40 on him, forcing Toronto's defense to try to compensate, thereby opening up easy opportunities for others. You also haven't taken into account the fact that the Heat would absolutely destroy the Raps on the boards (especially offensive), probably giving them at least another 10-15 possessions to work with. And then there's the enormous free throw advantage the Heat would enjoy as their wings would waltz into the paint at will, likely getting Okafor into foul trouble (and we know Bargs wouldn't be any help in this respect). Not to mention the havoc the Heat's wings would wreak on the defensive end, getting extra possessions through steals and blocks.

I get where you're coming from with this, but just because someone averages a certain number of points over a season doesn't mean they're able to score that same number of points against a given matchup. And the NBA is a game of matchups.

Comment

We are in a bit of a traumatic time right now. We need to take a deep breath and not taken advantage of by other teams in swaps thru panic. As has been a prevailing consensus (at least by some) recently, defense and good ball distribution need to be the immediate priorities. Good coaching as well is implied here. BC has to determine whether Hedo will be upto the task in a reset of his season last year and in my view subtraction (expiring salaries, possibly Calderon) rather than significant addition take precedence. DO not give up the draft choices unless the move is a slam dunk. This will also be a year of reckoning for Bargnani as well. Does he have "it" or not.

Later in the year should be when further adjustments are made. I would rather have a "dismal" record in the upcoming season but have promising "re-tooling" and a good draft so as to at least contend as a playoff type team the following year...with a sustainable outlook.

Danny Granger for some of the reasons noted by others does not fit my view as described.

Comment

My point predictions were not season averages, they were player match ups during a game against the heat. Also, is was just optimistic banter of what this Raptor team could be. I didn't expect everyone to jump on it ,and think they are the greatest basketball mind since Red Auerbach. I digress...

I really do think with a couple adjustments at the 5 and SF we could be a contending team. We haven't had that slashing, game changing player since VC. Granger, or someone along those lines would change this team dramatically. As would a true defensive, rebounding centre that stays around paint. I know not everyone in these posts agree, but I think Andrea is better suited at the PF position. We definitely have the pieces to make moves and contend.

Miami stealing arguably the 3 best players in the East, and devastating a number of other teams, opens the door for the Raps to be a upper echelon team.

I agree our 1st rounder should not be moved, but the one received from Miami is worth dealing for a game changing player such as Granger.
                        Last edited by saints91; Sat Jul 10, 2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Miami stealing arguably the 3 best players in the East, and devastating a number of other teams, opens the door for the Raps to be a upper echelon team.
                          A number of teams? I see 2 - Toronto and Cleveland. I'm optimistic about the Raptors having a fresh start without CB, but there's no way we're an upper echelon team right now.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

We tend to overvalue DeRozan IMHO. The guy has a long ways to go before he can be considered a good defender, we should hope that last year served as a big learning experience for him. The way he got torched against guards who utilized screens was very worrying. One-on-one he's an ok defender, but once he's got to chase guys around or negotiate screens, his defense falls off a cliff.

I'll play along with the Granger idea, even though I don't see Indiana giving him up unless they feel Paul George is THE future, in which case they'd be open to trading the injury-prone Granger (but its not going to come for nothing, definitely not just a TPE). Granger's a good shot-blocker because of his length, but his defense is average at best. Not great quickness and liable to get exploited. Still, you get him here for his offense, not his D.

Overall, the lineups you're proposing are unrealistic and don't guarantee any sort of success by a stretch.

Comment

I count more than two. The Nets and the Knicks have been clearing cap for 3 years now, I think they are pretty devastated. At this point I'd rather have the Raps lineup over either of those two.

Our lineup sucks right now, but with some trades we can be an upper echelon team in this Conference. We are a decent Centre and a great SF away from being a very good team.

IN MY OPINION!

Comment

Working...
                              X