Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Oh, Fox Sports Disses Amir Johnson

Winner: Mediocre big men

Forget for a moment that Amar'e Stoudemire got $100 million from the Knicks and Carlos Boozer $80M from the Bulls. At least they're All-Stars. The real sign that big men are in short supply and teams had way too much money to spend is the deals signed by journeymen like Darko Milicic (pictured, $20 million from Timberwolves), Tyrus Thomas ($40M from Bobcats), Channing Frye ($30M from Suns), Drew Gooden ($32M from Bucks) and Amir Johnson ($34M from Raptors) to name a few. And if you don't know who Amir Johnson is, that's the point.
    Source: Fox Sports

I have to agree that it seems like a lot of money for a guy who's done little in the NBA. Its a contract determined based on perceived potential. Here's to hoping Amir makes everybody remember his name.

I think most of us would agree it seemed to be a bit much to give for a guy that hasn't accomplished much yet, but he showed plenty of promise last season. None of the guys on that list has lived up to their billing but they were all top first round picks. I'm a little worried that with Jose now gone, is Amir going to be able to produce on the offensive end? Those two had a great pick n roll last year and I'm not certain Jarrett or possibly Leandro/Marcus can run it the same way.

Only time will tell but I'm more than optimistic he can live up to the contract, he's got an excellent motor and wants to improve and isn't afraid to do the dirty work.

Comment

Yeah.. I don't really mind that statement, it is a big contract for a guy you don't see much of if you're not a Raptors fan.. He works hard, good guy.. I'm sure he'll do everything he can do earn that money and show everyone he deserved it.

Although, Amir really did want to stay in Toronto.. Does anyone else think they could have negotiated a better deal?

Comment

For what it's worth, I read reports that Amir's contract is actually $30 mil, not $34 mil.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          For what it's worth, I read reports that Amir's contract is actually $30 mil, not $34 mil.
          ummm i dont think so lol
          Amir himself said it was 34

Comment

Its a good thing the article didnt mention that even Amir thought it was more than he was hoping!

Comment

amir's old contract with detroit had him makin 3.9 mil a year thats only a 3 mil raise he is a bit overpaid but not like others like varejao
              BO$$

Comment

It is big contract when you look around the league and see what other players are getting paid. As Apollo suggested this contract is based on perceived Potential that Amir has.

The big question that I have regarding Amir is his ability to play longer , without committing fouls, while at the same time give the same intensity and hustle.

Amir's game is all about hustle and energy and I personally do not think he can continue playing like that without fouling as much. It will be interesting to see how he makes a transition from a Garbage man with low expectation from to a first big off the bench with high expectations.

I hope BC is right about Amir's potential and I hope he ends up playing like a 7 million dollar palyer for Raptor.

If it does not happen, I can see BC fixing his mistake next summer and shipping Amir out. BC has been doing this for last 3 years and Amir will not be an exception.
                Last edited by Raptor4Ever; Mon Jul 12, 2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

hey you cant say that he's wrong, no way amir is worth that price in a million years and until he proves them wrong, hes gonna keep gettin hammered by everybody

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                    It is big contract when you look around the league and see what other players are getting paid. As Apollo suggested this contract is based on perceived Potential that Amir has.

The big question that I have regarding Amir is his ability to play longer , without committing foul, while at the same time give the same intensity and hustle.

Amir's game is all about hustle and energy and I personally do not think he can continue playing like that without fouling as much. It will be interesting to see how he makes a transition from a Garbage men with low expectation to a first big off the bench with high expectations.

I hope BC is right about Amir's potential and I hope he ends up playing like a 7 million dollar a palyer for Raptor.

If it does not happen, I can see BC fixing his mistake next summer and shipping Amir out. BC has been doing this for last 3 years and Amir will not be an exception.
                    I highly doubt his output will drop, especially given the fact his role will be increased. There's no way IMO that BC would ship Amir out after this season. He is still 23 after all, and still a project.

Comment

buddah's gonna have a conniption...
                      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                        I highly doubt his output will drop, especially given the fact his role will be increased. There's no way IMO that BC would ship Amir out after this season. He is still 23 after all, and still a project.
                        Without even considering anything else, his production has to increase based on the added minutes. It will be interesting to see how efficient he is when asked to play a bigger role in the offense.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Without even considering anything else, his production has to increase based on the added minutes. It will be interesting to see how efficient he is when asked to play a bigger role in the offense.
                          Great Point. His numbers should be up but it is his efficiency that is more interesting.
                          Will he be as aggressive or he will tone it down ?
                          How much did his game improved over the summer ?
                          How can he handle the pressure now that he has a bigger role ?

BC made a pretty big commitment to Amir and with Ed Davis around the corner, one has to see some reasonable improvement to be able to justify such a commitment.

Comment

He was always well rested because he was always getting pulled from getting calls against him. He would have to play smart as to not get calls, then and only then, will we see what he's capable of. But, that's where my faith and comments will happen. I, for one, will not count him out. Why? Because he sees these type of threads and headlines about him, he would be stupid not to try and prove people wrong. I'ma think positive. Too much negative comments have been swirling around this league in regards to us. Raps All Day!!!!!!
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Amir is a trash player, ...but he's a pretty GOOD trash player. His face up game is frightening. If he's looking to take on a larger role in the offense, we ought to prepare ourselves for some ugly basketball. That said, the early indication is that Davis will earn some heavy burn this year. If we end up with Chandler, and he's remotely healthy, he'll get plenty of burn too. I think Amir will have a tough time keeping minutes after the first 10 games.
                              "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                              ~Rorschach

Comment

Working...
                              X