Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Who Think Weems Is Better Than Derozen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introcollapse
    replied
    jlongs wrote: View Post
    Man you put too much stock on SL. Against the scrubs of scrubs isn't it natural that a legit NBA player would dominate? But that means nothing when it comes to the "real" games.
    I'm not implying that this will dictate their performances during the regular season. If DeMar averaged 20 ppg on 65%, he'd be MIP without a doubt.

He'd be lucky to get 16 ppg on 47%.

Fact is, you can tell that he's added new moves, and worked like crazy on his jumper. His 16 footer is money, whereas last year you could have flipped a coin on an open one. He's much, much more confident this year. Hasn't seemed to be very interested in rebounding or passing, and that does worry me a bit.

I don't see how his ability to shoot during summer league won't translate to the regular season. It will. The defense will be "better" in the actual season, but he's also had fairly good shot selection. He's a very improved and polished version of himself last year.

You'll see. Bar any trades that bring in dynamic scorers, I'd be surprised if he didn't have a few 30 point games. He does have it in him.

Leave a comment:

• mo-sales
    replied
    Offensively they were similar, defensively Demar was one of the worst defenders on the team. By no means is that out of the ordinary for one of the greenest rookies in the league, but the numbers show that the defense was substantially better with Weems starting at the 2 instead of DD.

As far as long term goes, I don't think anyone would pick Weems, but the guy is making the most of his talent and opportunity. I see no reason why Derozan and Weems shouldn't start next year.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    Just for reference, here are some of the per 36 stats for both from last season.

Sonny
    Pts: 13.6
    rbs: 5.1
    stl: 1.0
    Free throw attempts: 1.8
    TS %: 0.533

Demar:
    pts: 14.3
    rbs:4.8
    stl: 1.1
    FTA: 4.2
    TS %: 0.554

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...derozde01.html

The main things that should jump out at people are the free throw attempts and true shooting percentage, both of which are indications that DD was already a much better scorer last season. The one thing with this stat though is that Weems didn't really get consitent minutes until halfway through the season. All in all, I'd say Weems and Derozen were about the same last season, which is definitely a plus for Derozen since he is younger.

Leave a comment:

• jlongs
    replied
    Introcollapse wrote: View Post
    Clearly, the majority of you have not watched the LVSL. DeRozan's game has improved immensely, especially on offense. He's essentially mastered the (as assistant coach Eric Hughes calls it) "Kobe shimmy turnaround", and his mid-range game looks worlds better. And don't get me started on his improved confidence.

Weems, on the other hand, appears to be nearly the same player. However, he's taking ill-advised shots, and when it isn't a mid-range jumper, it's his signature sweeping layup. I haven't seen much improvement other than that bit of range he added. In fact, I think he's almost at his ceiling.

DeRozan, if he can maintain this level of confidence and effort, could easily be our leading scorer in a year or two. He still needs to work on his handle a bit (dribbles a bit too high and palms more than flicks), but this kid is going to be pretty darn good when it's all said and done.

DeRozan IS the better player right now, overall. Weems is still the better defender. That is all.
    Man you put too much stock on SL. Against the scrubs of scrubs isn't it natural that a legit NBA player would dominate? But that means nothing when it comes to the "real" games. Hey Quincy Douby racked it up during last year's summer league. Where is he now?

Also those moves Demar has been making, he's been doing that since high school if you watch some of his mixes. If and when he does that consistently during the season is when I'll acknowledge that he has indeed improved. Until then Weems has still proven he's the better overall player at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• black angus
    replied
    Introcollapse wrote: View Post
    Again. You obviously haven't watched the LVSL. He's twice the player he was last year. Very polished. Vet moves. Aggressive.
    LVSL are you kidding me - he is a "veteran" playing against scrubs who can't even spell defence (or defense depending on where you are from).

Leave a comment:

• ihatehaters
    replied
    NoFrillz wrote: View Post
    The best--Vince Carter. Have you ever seen vince get blocked on a dunk? No, because of his superb body control he will adjust on the fly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daShaMfric

Leave a comment:

• Introcollapse
    replied
    black angus wrote: View Post
    The biggest problem with Derozan is that he is a pussy. All flash, no grit. You would think a kid coming out of the hood would been a little tougher. Half the time he is on the court he looks like the offspring of abusive parents - teary-eyed and unsure of what he did wrong.
    Again. You obviously haven't watched the LVSL. He's twice the player he was last year. Very polished. Vet moves. Aggressive.

Leave a comment:

• black angus
    replied
    The biggest problem with Derozan is that he is a pussy. All flash, no grit. You would think a kid coming out of the hood would been a little tougher. Half the time he is on the court he looks like the offspring of abusive parents - teary-eyed and unsure of what he did wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Introcollapse
    replied
    Clearly, the majority of you have not watched the LVSL. DeRozan's game has improved immensely, especially on offense. He's essentially mastered the (as assistant coach Eric Hughes calls it) "Kobe shimmy turnaround", and his mid-range game looks worlds better. And don't get me started on his improved confidence.

Weems, on the other hand, appears to be nearly the same player. However, he's taking ill-advised shots, and when it isn't a mid-range jumper, it's his signature sweeping layup. I haven't seen much improvement other than that bit of range he added. In fact, I think he's almost at his ceiling.

DeRozan, if he can maintain this level of confidence and effort, could easily be our leading scorer in a year or two. He still needs to work on his handle a bit (dribbles a bit too high and palms more than flicks), but this kid is going to be pretty darn good when it's all said and done.

DeRozan IS the better player right now, overall. Weems is still the better defender. That is all.

Leave a comment:

• Arenick
    replied
    Weems right now is on par or better then Derozan. Why? Weems is further developed, has been in the leauge longer than Derozan, has a much better mid range game, and like many before me have mentioned, he has better body control on his dunks. However Derozan still is very raw, and if rightly developed, he could manage to be the new face of this franchise (Until he leaves and we all curse his name). If he steps up his game to around 15 and 5 this year, we could see him slowly develop into the next Tracy McGrady, while as Weems was less scouted when he left college as much of his game is developed, and at best he is a very good 6th men or a average role playing starter. At this point right now though, Weems is still above Derozan defensively, and above all, that is what we need on the floor.

Leave a comment:

• jamesk
    replied
    I don't think they'd start for the nets actually

Leave a comment:

• Saba88
    replied
    between the two is much better for me because Belinelli has a more varied game

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    The Mascot wrote: View Post
    The 2010-2011 New Jersey Nets.
    You are clueless my friend, totally clueless. Watching too much ESPN and listening to too much Charles.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    Mack North wrote: View Post
    Uh, I think most folks would agree that Weems played better last season, therefore was higher than DeRozan's basement...

Let's not pit these two Against each other like everyne did Bargs and Bosh. We got a fresh start so let's keep it in a lighter mood...
    Well Weems is an ESPN player. His offense makes the highlight films. But he did not play better than DeRozan did last season. Weems can do one thing better than DeRozan and that is dribble the basketball. That is it.

Leave a comment:

• The Mascot
    replied
    Nick wrote: View Post
    Jack, Weems, Demar, Amir, Bargs to start
    The 2010-2011 New Jersey Nets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X