Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ezz_bee
    replied
    Great post! BC loves to pull the trigger but it might be worthwhile to sit back and watch until 2011.

Leave a comment:

• blaze89
    replied
    were not winning anything this year or next for the matter so why hinder the growth of our future stars? it doesnt make any sence. our roster as it stands is going to lost ALOT of games this season but will at least be competitive (to an extent) and fun to watch.
    lets look to the future instead of being stuck in the present like we always are

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I think Colangelo needs to focus on not adding bad contracts. If he did that there would be no need to praise him for trying to shed bad contracts. Every single contract held by the Raptors has Colangelo's finger prints on it. If the player wasn't signed by him then he was traded for by him.

Leave a comment:

• OzRapFan
    replied
    ryanc123 wrote: View Post
    If this wasn't such a huge wall of text, I might have read it. It hurts my eyes looking at it. Paragraphs for the win!
    I was long winded but I appreciate what he is saying? I think BC has got it right though, he is trying to shed bad contracts and adding great role players who playoff teams would love to take from us at the trade deadline for draft picks, If he was going after fat contracts my opiion would be different.

Leave a comment:

• Buddahfan
    replied
    bigbubbamac wrote: View Post
    Just wanted to throw another idea out there?

I know that this off season has been crazy, and really been a roller coaster ride for Raps fans, but do we absolutely have to have a finalized roster before the season starts?

We all now right now that this next season will be less about wins and losses and more about growth and laying the foundation for next few years. Right now I see no one trade or group of trades that makes a guaranteed contender this year.

How can I be so sure, you may ask? Well to know if player A (insert name here) would be beneficial to your team, you need to know what you are missing on your team. We don't know what we have, not really, and all our educated (and uneducated in some cases) guesses are just that, guesses.

Sure we have obvious gaps, PG and Center, but we have a lot of x factors right now that can, and just might fill those gaps in unexpected ways. What's wrong with taking what we have now, give it a go for 20+ games or so and see what we have, and them make a move to get better, not just on paper, but on the court, and not just for the season, but for the future.

We are not only building a team here, we have to establish a brand, we have to define what Raptors ball is. What I mean by this is what people tie to the franchise's type of game. For example when you talk about Celtics ball, you think gritty team defense, when people talk about Lakers ball they talk about the triangle offense, the Suns "7 seconds or less" from a few years back.

The only way that we get and keep quality players is for the Raptors to build their brand of ball so that it is recognizable and it is successful.

This requires great team chemistry, a franchise wide commitment to a defined game plan, and a willingness by us fans to not only buy into the brand, but to accept no deviance from it.

We have a group of Young Gunz. ( yes I went there, I capitalized it and used the Z) with us right now, who like each other on and off the court, they like their team and they want to be here. That has to be capitalized on and encouraged, by us and the coaching staff.

Let's try this team on for size, and see what shakes out. BC has proven that he know when to pull the plug on things that are not working. We have to concentrate on keeping good team chemistry and focus not just on what makes us better on paper, but rather what strengthens our foundation. Keep what works and let the rest go, regardless of name or pay grade.

You want an example of this, look no further that OKC. That team was the Sonics not so long ago. Think about that. You would never tie the two together because management had a game plan and have stuck to it. I am in no way putting down the Sonics or their history, but I am saying that the Thunder will never be mistaken for the Sonics, they forged their own brand, because they had to, to be successful.

The Raptors have not done this. Management up to this point have hung their hats on individuals, and failed to establish what Raptors ball is, they failed to create a brand.

You build a brand and young players will develop the desire to play in that brand. You make your brand unique, fun and successful and people will not only want to play for you, but they will be committed to you. BC has the ability right now to build not only a team, but a brand of basketball, that ensures the franchises future. No pressure big guy, no pressure.
    ryanc123 wrote: View Post
    If this wasn't such a huge wall of text, I might have read it. It hurts my eyes looking at it. Paragraphs for the win!
    Cleaned it up a bit

Leave a comment:

• ryanc123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigbubbamac
    started a topic Why Not Wait?

Why Not Wait?

Just wanted to throw another idea out there? I know that this off season has been crazy, and really been a roller coaster ride for Raps fans, but do we absolutely have to have a finalized roster before the season starts? We all now right now that this next season will be less about wins and losses and more about growth and laying the foundation for next few years.

Right now I see no one trade or group of trades that makes a guaranteed contender this year. How can I be so sure, you may ask? Well to know if player A (insert name here) would be beneficial to your team, you need to know what you are missing on your team. We don't know what we have, not really, and all our educated (and uneducated in some cases) guesses are just that, guesses. Sure we have obvious gaps, PG and Center, but we have a lot of x factors right now that can, and just might fill those gaps in unexpected ways. What's wrong with taking what we have now, give it a go for 20+ games or so and see what we have, and them make a move to get better, not just on paper, but on the court, and not just for the season, but for the future.

We are not only building a team here, we have to establish a brand, we have to define what Raptors ball is. What I mean by this is what people tie to the franchise's type of game. For example when you talk about Celtics ball, you think gritty team defense, when people talk about Lakers ball they talk about the triangle offense, the Suns "7 seconds or less" from a few years back. The only way that we get and keep quality players is for the Raptors to build their brand of ball so that it is recognizable and it is successful. This requires great team chemistry, a franchise wide commitment to a defined game plan, and a willingness by us fans to not only buy into the brand, but to accept no deviance from it. We have a group of Young Gunz with us right now, who like each other on and off the court, they like their team and they want to be here. That has to be capitalized on and encouraged, by us and the coaching staff.

Let's try this team on for size, and see what shakes out. BC has proven that he know when to pull the plug on things that are not working. We have to concentrate on keeping good team chemistry and focus not just on what makes us better on paper, but rather what strengthens our foundation. Keep what works and let the rest go, regardless of name or pay grade.

You want an example of this, look no further that OKC. That team was the Sonics not so long ago. Think about that. You would never tie the two together because management had a game plan and have stuck to it. I am in no way putting down the Sonics or their history, but I am saying that the Thunder will never be mistaken for the Sonics, they forged their own brand, because they had to, to be successful.

The Raptors have not done this. Management up to this point have hung their hats on individuals, and failed to establish what Raptors ball is, they failed to create a brand. You build a brand and young players will develop the desire to play in that brand. You make your brand unique, fun and successful and people will not only want to play for you, but they will be committed to you. BC has the ability right now to build not only a team, but a brand of basketball, that ensures the franchises future. No pressure big guy, no pressure.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Tue Jul 20, 2010, 05:57 PM. Reason: Took Ryan's Advice and brought down the wall!!!! I knocked it down some more!!)
Working...
X