How Does Triano's Fortune Read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does Triano's Fortune Read?

If the Raptors struggle out the gate which is probable, how long a leash do you think Triano is on before he gets canned? I say 4-12.

Everyone's saying the Raptors won't win more than 20 games this season.. So what would be the point of getting rid of Triano in the middle (as in already started) of the season, if there are no expectations to succeed at all.

Comment

This organization needs stability, the coaching staff is solid right now

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        Agreed, although he is still a relatively inexperienced coach, this is a perfect group to just let grow together.

Comment

i think triano has a good basketball brain he lacks the other elements of coaching which his team of assistants make up
          ya dun noe

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
            What are you smoking on, sir?lol

This coaching staff is inadequate outside of English & Williams. Jay "Mr No Accountability" Triano is the main reason the Raptor's imploded at the end of the season. He may be a good guy but as a NBA head coach.........he's lacking the intangibles that most successful leaders possess- charisma. PJ Carlesimo is past due ie Oklahoma City, he's nothing more than a screamer and demeanor. Ivaroni is gone so that's a plus- so much for BC's defensive coach guru.lol

Triano needs to go he's not a leader of men as a team is a direct reflection of it's coach and the Raptor's on court play is laissez-faire just like their coach's nonchalant (break a clipboard?lol) attitude- I like the effort, after a late season blowout loss to Chicago. If you are going to have a Mercedes (roster) then you need a qualified driver (coach) more than just a good PR move ie 1st Canadian NBA head coach.

The sooner the Rap's get rid of both BC(KPritchard, DFerry, SKerr) & Jay (MBrown, JVanGundy, MWoodson, LFrank) and hire more competent basketball people to instill a more clearer vision for Raptor basketball all the better for Toronto basketball in my mind.
            Last edited by SirChillyMost; Wed Jul 21, 2010, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Triano is safe this year no matter what the record is.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Everyone expects Raptors to suck, so I can see Triano getting a free pass no matter how bad Raptors will be. I never liked the idea of Triano as HEAD coach, but now I really don't care. This year is going to be a retooling year, I guess he will be fired next summer, probably when the new GM comes in town or BC wants to prove once again he is changing something

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post

This coaching staff is inadequate outside of English & Williams. Jay "Mr No Accountability" Triano is the main reason the Raptor's imploded at the end of the season. He may be a good guy but as a NBA head coach.........he's lacking the intangibles that most successful leaders possess- charisma. PJ Carlesimo is past due ie Oklahoma City, he's nothing more than a screamer and demeanor. Ivaroni is gone so that's a plus- so much for BC's defensive coach guru.lol

Triano needs to go he's not a leader of men as a team is a direct reflection of it's coach and the Raptor's on court play is laissez-faire just like their coach's nonchalant (break a clipboard?lol) attitude- I like the effort, after a late season blowout loss to Chicago. If you are going to have a Mercedes (roster) then you need a qualified driver (coach) more than just a good PR move ie 1st Canadian NBA head coach.

The sooner the Rap's get rid of both BC(KPritchard, DFerry, SKerr) & Jay (MBrown, JVanGundy, MWoodson, LFrank) and hire more competent basketball people to instill a more clearer vision for Raptor basketball all the better for Toronto basketball in my mind.
                  Out of those coaches and gm's u named how many of them have won championships ? And I don't mean as players. Toronto needs to be as stable as Utah and San Antonio

Comment

It's not about championships it's about building a competitive team that will make the playoffs and compete in the post season- here we are in the BC era going on year 5 and the Rap's are backsliding like MJackson doing the moonwalk after winning the Division 4 years ago. It's time to look at the man in the Raptor's mirror, thank him for his vision and bid him farewell because BC- needs more people we don't believe in your Raptor vision that now has the lackadaisical Bargnani as the Franchise player.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post

Why do so many on this forum swoon for the old retreads as the solution to all that ails the Raptors? Last year it was Eddie Jordan and Flip Saunders - and how did their year's go last season? Now you trot out these guys! Mike Brown was a goner in Cleveland once LeBron got sick of his unimaginative or non-existent offensive schemes. Woodson's offense revolved around giving the ball to Joe Johnson and nothing else. And he sure motivated his troops in the playoffs, didn't he? JVG will never come back to coaching - he enjoys annoying us on TV too much. LFrank I like, but is he an improvment on Jay? He's still sitting on the unemplyment line.

Maybe Triano won't pan out, but he deserves a longer audition - especially with a team that's not going to contend anyway. As for his leadership qualities - in his playing days he was the leader of the National Team, and Jack Donahue said having Triano was like having another coach on the floor.

As for your GM's, what kind of teams did Ferry and Kerr build? Even with more resources and money than BC had, they didn't build championships (think Shaq for both, and Ferry's keys to helping LeBron - AP and Moon!). Pritchard is obviously great at spotting talent, but a GM's job is more than scouting, drafting and trading. He's the General MANAGER responsible for overseeing the workings of a large organization - and here Pritchard was lacking. Paul Allen is not the type who fires talent. Word is that Pritchard routinely undermined his superiors and that the employees who reported to him hated his massive ego with a passion. There's a reason "Golden Boy" wasn't snapped up by another team the way the media predicted he would.

Again, there's room to knock some of BC's moves - but he's still one of the upper echelon GM's in the NBA. Do you not think if he ever left Toronto, he wouldn't have another gig pretty much immediately? Certainly quicker than Kevin Pritchard will.

Comment

I said this last year before the season started:

http://www.raptorshq.com/2009/9/9/10...on-report-card
                        For a team looking to "win now" and advance to the second round of the playoffs, another rookie coach just doesn't make sense. Sure, Jay is experienced at the international level, but in the NBA he's just another rookie head coach without playoff experience. On the bright side, Jay Triano brings in a happy medium of X's and O's, push-the-ball offense, and motivation. And he's Canadian! What could possibly go wrong?

Individual Grade: C+
                        I wasn't a very big supporter of Jay last season given our roster and the "this is our chance to win games and woo Bosh" mentality. Now that the roster is no longer in "win-now" mode, I'm perfectly fine with keeping Jay at the helm. There is absolutely no reason to pay for two head coaches when we're not competing for a title.

If we're an inch away like the Pistons were with Carlisle, and Larry Brown was available, then sure. But we're miles away and this is the best situation for Jay to learn and grow as a coach. Last season is a write off as far as I'm concerned. Let's see what he can do this season in terms of player development, and his own development as a coach.

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post
                          Why do so many on this forum swoon for the old retreads as the solution to all that ails the Raptors? Last year it was Eddie Jordan and Flip Saunders - and how did their year's go last season? Now you trot out these guys! Mike Brown was a goner in Cleveland once LeBron got sick of his unimaginative or non-existent offensive schemes. Woodson's offense revolved around giving the ball to Joe Johnson and nothing else. And he sure motivated his troops in the playoffs, didn't he? JVG will never come back to coaching - he enjoys annoying us on TV too much. LFrank I like, but is he an improvement on Jay? He's still sitting on the unemplyment line.

Maybe Triano won't pan out, but he deserves a longer audition - especially with a team that's not going to contend anyway. As for his leadership qualities - in his playing days he was the leader of the National Team, and Jack Donahue said having Triano was like having another coach on the floor.

As for your GM's, what kind of teams did Ferry and Kerr build? Even with more resources and money than BC had, they didn't build championships (think Shaq for both, and Ferry's keys to helping LeBron - AP and Moon!). Pritchard is obviously great at spotting talent, but a GM's job is more than scouting, drafting and trading. He's the General MANAGER responsible for overseeing the workings of a large organization - and here Pritchard was lacking. Paul Allen is not the type who fires talent. Word is that Pritchard routinely undermined his superiors and that the employees who reported to him hated his massive ego with a passion. There's a reason "Golden Boy" wasn't snapped up by another team the way the media predicted he would.

Again, there's room to knock some of BC's moves - but he's still one of the upper echelon GM's in the NBA. Do you not think if he ever left Toronto, he wouldn't have another gig pretty much immediately? Certainly quicker than Kevin Pritchard will.
                          Those were just some suggestions off the top of my head as there are more folks out there as potential Raptor GMs & HCs.

Let BC go then. He's all hype. Look what Boston has done since Toronto won the Division in relation to BC/Raptors.

Jay is just his lap dog puppet coach ie play Jose, sit Turk, start Jack, bench Wright, etc. The man who wouldn't correct Bargnani for his defensive deficiencies as per Jack, Wright's media insinuations is more like a elementary principal who breaks clipboards over his knee while wearing too tight suits. Also, Jay has no certified defensive tactics only offensive and in the NBA defense wins games especially in the playoffs.

Triano, a longer audition? Get real. It's going on 3 years with Jay aka Mr No Accountability in charge as head coach via his svengali BC who makes the calls on playing time, rotations, etc. 1st he needed a full training camp to implement his system- got 1. Now what?lol Sam's Raptors, even with BC's bs rosters, was much more fun to watch in my mind.

Under BC Bargnani, a PF, is now the Raptor's franchise not to mention that BC drafted a PF and then re signed a PF(Amir). 3 PFs that can't play center against the bigger NBA bodies- no Bargnani isn't a center but a 7ft stretch 4, imagine that. BC is trying to get a center in order to move Bargnani back to his natural position of PF- as per BC. Bosh was never playing with a real center while Barg's started next to him- BC's vision.

Btw Lawrence Frank is now down w/ the Celtics coaching staff under Doc Rivers.

Comment

Young Money Weems wrote: View Post
                            If the Raptors struggle out the gate which is probable, how long a leash do you think Triano is on before he gets canned? I say 4-12.
                            He'll probably last the season, unfortunately, for all the reasons others have already mentioned, but I wish we could get a better coach for this team. I'm sure PJ would take the seat, or maybe Jeff Van Gundy would be good (but I doubt Colangelo would want to work with him; Van Gundy is pretty outspoken).

Triano would be fine as an assistant, but he's not head coach material. All his "toughness" seems like such an act to me.
                            "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                            ~Rorschach

Comment

Last year, for his 1st full year as a head coach he ended up with the won- lost record around where most of us anticipated at the beginning of the year.

You have to think he's learned from his mistakes.

Let's see how the overall development of the team goes especially the youth movement.

Again to start the season he has a lot of new faces that have to get used to each other.

Most of us think the Raps will be fortunate to win over thirty five games. If they win over that will Triano get some credit for his role?

Comment

Working...
                              X