The New Raps Will Be A +0.500 Playoff Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multipaul wrote: View Post
    So many haters out there eh, I think if everyone goes in with a winning mentality good things will happen this year. We have a good core of young talent that likes playing here and like each other.
    I don't think is fair to call them haters ... maybe nonbelievers

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
      I don't think is fair to call them haters ... maybe nonbelievers
      Or....future believers...

Comment

So many haters out there eh, I think if everyone goes in with a winning mentality good things will happen this year. We have a good core of young talent that likes playing here and like each other.
        Please explain to me why I'm considered a "hater" because I don't share the same optimism as yourself? I love the Raptors and I always will. I'll be the first one to eat crow here if I'm wrong, but based on what I see on paper right now I don't think we can be considered a "playoff contender". There's still time for BC to work his so called "magic" before the start of next season, but the his options right now appear to be bleak.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          Please explain to me why I'm considered a "hater" because I don't share the same optimism as yourself? I love the Raptors and I always will. I'll be the first one to eat crow here if I'm wrong, but based on what I see on paper right now I don't think we can be considered a "playoff contender". There's still time for BC to work his so called "magic" before the start of next season, but the his options right now appear to be bleak.
          UR right, sorry. Hater is the wrong word. My bad.

Comment

Eastern starting linups

Raptors projected staring 5: Jack, DeRozan, Kleiza, Amir, Bargani

These 6 teams clearly have a much better team:
            Celts: Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, O'Neill
            Hawks: Bibby, J. Johnson, Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, Horford
            Heat: Wade, Miller, LBJ, Bosh, Anthony
            Bucks: Jennings, Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, Bogut
            Magic: Nelson, Carter, Pietrus, Lewis, Howard
            Bulls: Rose, Brewer, Deng, Boozer, Noah

And I'd argue that even these 4 are better than Raps:
            Wizards: Wall, Arenas, Thornton, Blatche, McGee
            Sixers: Holiday, Turner, Iggy, Young, Brand
            Knicks: Felton, Azubuike, Gallinari, Randolph, Stoudemire
            Nets: Harris, Lee, Outlaw, Favors, Lopez

So what are we realistically talking about? Maybe 11th seed in the East? Disappointed? We shouldn't be, we can get a good player in next draft and let our young core get heavy minutes which will do them wonders. Can we surprise people? It's possible if we really start dominating the offensive glass and playing team defense. Think Houston early last season before that idiotic trade they made. But I wouldn't bet on it, Chandler and Barnes could have been the recipes for this kind of play, without them I just don't see Kleiza or Jack becoming lockdown defenders, much less Bargs becoming a monster on the glass either. I hope that BC comes up with something good in February when underachieving teams look to shed salary (dare I say Josh Smith guys?) But the next 18 months will determine if we come up with a true contender in 4 years time, or if another 5 seasons of 35-40 wins. But this summer looks promising after a long time.

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post

These teams are not better

Comment

As big of a fan I'm of the Raptors I just don't see how they'll be a 500+ team. The Easter conf is stacked with good teams and the Raptors haven't really don't anything to get better. If anything we took a step back.

Comment

good counter-point

Look at the 5 on our team and look at the 4 teams listed above. Now ask yourself, if they offered a straight up 5 for 5 trade would you take it?

I'd say that's a yes for every single one of those teams. And I can't imagine too many people choosing No.

Comment

Re: dzoni71

Now that's a good post. I can argue the Nets, Knicks, and Philly, even Charlotte, but what a good post.

If the young players play hard, leave it on the floor, show their upside, show development, show management where to fine-tune, I will be a very happy Raptor fan. This includes Triano, who I believe inherited a hellish situation and should have grown as a coach. If the youth movement is real, and BC (who I like) doesn't get impatient, a true rebuild with a salting of veterans has got to be good.

Comment

So, everyone is in agreement we will be a +500 team then?

Comment

So, everyone is in agreement we will be a +500 team then?
                        No.

Comment

I am glad to see a positive thread. I think this message board has to many negative fans. It is very easy to cheer for the Celtics, Lakers, etc. It takes character and loyalty to continue to cheer for your home team, that more than likely won't make the playoffs. Many of you are not unlike the three amigo's in Miami. Only you can't play the game. It also shows that the average age on this message board is very young, as the constant negativity is very consistent with the youth of today. I will personally get more satisfaction out of every win this year than any other. I (as I mentioned yesterday) feel this team will be far better than last year without Bosh or a "big time second tier superstar". Weather we are rebuilding or not, there are really only five teams in the division (I don't count Milwaukee yet, they were an apparition last year that won't happen again). I also don't think Atlanta will be as good as last. Boston will be hurt all year. Orlando is basically the same team.

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post

Now, this is a great post. One can look further at this team and see who they have on the bench as coaches.
                            Clearly Wizards, Nets and phily have better coaching staff than Toronto and if we decide to do a run and gun, then in that style even NY has a better coaching staff than us.

Comment

No I think we are going to challenge Heat and Lakers for the title this year.

Now, lets raise our glasses and drink the BC Kool Aid for a break through season that is ahead of us.

Comment

Old guy wrote: View Post
                                I am glad to see a positive thread. I think this message board has to many negative fans. It is very easy to cheer for the Celtics, Lakers, etc. It takes character and loyalty to continue to cheer for your home team, that more than likely won't make the playoffs. Many of you are not unlike the three amigo's in Miami. Only you can't play the game. It also shows that the average age on this message board is very young, as the constant negativity is very consistent with the youth of today. I will personally get more satisfaction out of every win this year than any other. I (as I mentioned yesterday) feel this team will be far better than last year without Bosh or a "big time second tier superstar". Weather we are rebuilding or not, there are really only five teams in the division (I don't count Milwaukee yet, they were an apparition last year that won't happen again). I also don't think Atlanta will be as good as last. Boston will be hurt all year. Orlando is basically the same team.
                                You mistake pessimism for realism. You can be a fan of a team and still critical of it, these sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

As for these threads about the Raps being a playoff team, there seems to be a new one every week and they all get the same response: eternal optimists think playoffs, realists see the holes.

My personal impression is that those of you who think this team can make the playoffs only focus on one side of the ball and ignore things like defense, rebounding, and dribble penetration/passing, all of which are were problems last year and will continue to be this year. And that's before getting into the installment of an entirely new offense, the lack of a go-to scorer, the lack of any kind of inside-out game, etc. It's as if people expect that this team is going to be able to continue on as it did last year, only with Amir just taking Bosh's place and the rest of the team improving. Doesn't work like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X