Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Raptors 2010-2011 Depth Chart (Update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Raptors 2010-2011 Depth Chart (Update)

Last edited by Apollo; Mon Sep 13, 2010, 10:44 AM. Reason: Jarrett Jack inserted into starting five

I shudder @ that lineup...should be a long season...albeit a fun one. Go Young Gunz!

Comment

switch Calderon and Jack and im happy...considering.
      "Ball"

Comment

jack n weems r starting...

Comment

The biggest problem the Raptors will have in 10-11 vs 09-10 is rebounding.

Bargnani has his moments but will never be an adequate rebounder for a 7 footer.

Johnson also has his moments but but is average at best on the defensive glass.

The 10-11 team as currently constructed will give up too many second chance points unless.

Unless Triano and Carlesimo can take a page out of the defensive playbook of Jerry Tarkanian's 89-90 and 90-91 Runnin' Rebels. They did have a couple of good rebounders in David Butler and Larry Johnson but what they did better than any college or pro team that I have ever seen is press on defense.

They were incredible. They had such an effective and high octane three quarter court press that in many many games when they went to work with the press they could go on a 15 - 0 or 15 - 2 run in a matter of two or three minutes. Many times the opponents would go two or three possessions in a row without being able to get the ball across the half-court line and turn it over in the back court.

Now I don't expect the Raptors defense to be able to do that, but I think with the number of young and not so young athletic guys that they have that they could press very effectively at times.

For example a lineup of

Barbosa
          Jack
          DeRozan/Weems
          Johnson
          Bargnani/Davis

Could press very effectively, Four guys pressing with Bargnani/Davis as the safety value.

In the end the 10-11 version of the Raptors is going to need to be able to force an above average amount of turnovers to compensate for what I believe will be a less average rebounding team.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
            Possible
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              Unless Triano and Carlesimo can take a page out of the defensive playbook of Jerry Tarkanian's 89-90 and 90-91 Runnin' Rebels. They did have a couple of good rebounders in David Butler and Larry Johnson but what they did better than any college or pro team that I have ever seen is press on defense.

They were incredible. They had such an effective and high octane three quarter court press that in many many games when they went to work with the press they could go on a 15 - 0 or 15 - 2 run in a matter of two or three minutes. Many times the opponents would go two or three possessions in a row without being able to get the ball across the half-court line and turn it over in the back court.

Now I don't expect the Raptors defense to be able to do that, but I think with the number of young and not so young athletic guys that they have that they could press very effectively at times.

For example a lineup of

Barbosa
              Jack
              DeRozan/Weems
              Johnson
              Bargnani/Davis

Could press very effectively, Four guys pressing with Bargnani/Davis as the safety value.

In the end the 10-11 version of the Raptors is going to need to be able to force an above average amount of turnovers to compensate for what I believe will be a less average rebounding team.
              +1

It is argued that it is next to impossible to run a full court or 3 quarter court press consistently in the NBA becuase the players are too talented and the coaches to experienced. However I love to see the young gunz give it a try!
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                +1

It is argued that it is next to impossible to run a full court or 3 quarter court press consistently in the NBA becuase the players are too talented and the coaches to experienced. However I love to see the young gunz give it a try!
                Sorry if I wasn't clear. Tark's Runnin's Rebels didn't use it all the time. You are correct about it not being possible in the NBA. However, some NBA teams rarely use it as part of their regular defensive scheme. I think that this Raptors squad would benefit greatly by developing a good pressing defense and using it in select situations.

It is usually more effective at home where the home crowd can really get into it.

By using it in select situations but not continuously you throw your opponents off when you start using it even if they know that at some time in the game that you will. If you use it all the time then not only is exhausting to your players but the opponents will adjust pretty easily especially in the NBA.

So yes not all the time or even most of the time but in select situations during every game as part of their regular defensive scheme.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jul 29, 2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  The biggest problem the Raptors will have in 10-11 vs 09-10 is rebounding.

Bargnani has his moments but will never be an adequate rebounder for a 7 footer.

Johnson also has his moments but but is average at best on the defensive glass.

The 10-11 team as currently constructed will give up too many second chance points unless.

For example a lineup of

Barbosa
                  Jack
                  DeRozan/Weems
                  Johnson
                  Bargnani/Davis

Along that line of thinking do u guys feel that derozan can play point guard I have heard the raps coaches say a few times they would like for him to be able to play that role

Comment

Buddahfan wrote:
                    Bargnani as a safety valve at the back of almost any zone is laughable.

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                    Along that line of thinking do u guys feel that derozan can play point guard I have heard the raps coaches say a few times they would like for him to be able to play that role
                    Derozan is not a good enough passer or ball handler to play point guard. Not saying he will never be able to handle some "point guard" duties, but his skill set is much better set to being a scoring wing.

Comment

3 foreign players projected in your starting 5?lol I think Weems will beat out Kleiza or DeMar will play the 3 while Weems is at the 2. Also, Jack should start at pg. Not to mention that Kleiza has no mid range game, no game off the bounce and is too slow to guard sf's in the NBA on a consistent basis- as time will show. The current roster is bulit mostly of PFs & PGs.

C: ABargnani, DAnderson, DJones, SAlabi
                      PF: AJohnson, EDavis, REvans, JDorsey
                      SF: SWeems, LKleiza
                      SG: DDeRozan, LBarbosa, MBellineli
                      PG: JJack, JCalderon, MBanks

Raptors have contract options on both Jones & Dorsey in August & November respectively. Jones is probally gone considering the DAndersen deal.

Comment

all derozon would have to do is bring up the ball and start the offense simular to the bulls and jordans role. I think it would open up options like a derozon, weems, amir, davis, barg line up.

Comment

ReeZen wrote: View Post
                          switch Calderon and Jack and im happy...considering.
                          Maybe but Calderon works better with Bargnani than Jack does and I'm thinking Jose starts because of that and also as a tool to move him in the season.

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                          Weems will be giving up 25-50lbs most nights if he's starting at the 3. That is, of course, unless he's hit the gym hard in the off-season. Anyone know if Sonny has been trying to pack on muscle this summer?

All this thread is at this point is opinion. We'll have to wait a few more months to get a good handle on it all.

Comment

Call me silly, but as we're currently constructed, I see things shaking out like this....

C - Bargnani
                            PF - Davis/Johnson
                            SF - Klieza
                            SG - Barbosa
                            PG - Calderon

PG -Jack
                            SG -Weems
                            SF -DeRozan
                            PF -Johnson/Davis
                            C -Anderson
                            PF/C -Evans
                            SG/PG -Belinelli

Suits : Marcus Banks, Solomon Alabi, Dorsey (or D league)

Weems and DeRozan have both expressed their desire to play with Jack and Johnson would likely follow suit as he's set for a large increase in minutes whether he starts or not. I cant see Davis playing more than 25 min regularly if he starts but it'll be a great way to see what he's made of right away and might even speed up his development.

This leaves us with a more conventional, half court, starting 5 and a bench that can pretty well run 90 % of the NBA's benches into the ground. Two units, two different paces and we oil everyone's wheels.

25 wins. Lol
                            "Oh well, that's basketball. It used to be basketball. I don't know what it is now."

Comment

And we shouldnt read too much into the "starter", "non starter" thing.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that Andrea Bargnani will be the only Raptor to average 35 min or more this season. Everyone else will get their minutes, starting or not.
                              "Oh well, that's basketball. It used to be basketball. I don't know what it is now."

Comment

Working...
                              X