Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amir's Actual Contract Details

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I don't remember the source, but I recall shortly after Amir signed his contract that "according to sources who had actually seen his contract," the deal was for more like 30 million. Not significantly less than 34 million, but still a more reasonable sounding number. Amir claimed during his press conference that he was being offered 25 - 30 million, and it sounds like the Raptors came in and matched the best offer. Even if Amir doesnt achieve his max potential, I think I am okay with this deal. His hustle play and good attitude are a welcome change in this organization. I have been kind of worried about how Davis will get any minutes with AJ and AB at the 4 spot, but it looks like Il Mago will be at the 5 this year (barring any more deals involving a centre this off season).

    Criticism of this deal has definitely been blown out of proportion by the NBA media hype machine. I don't imagine a lot of NBA writers watched many Raptors games last year, and few of them probably saw the energy and dynamic play that Johnson brings to the floor. I have not been a fan of many of BC's moves, but Amir Johnson has definitely been a great surprise.

    Comment


    • #17
      Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      We track all league filed contracts and something that's happened this
      year is a lot of inflated values... typically reflecting bonuses... if
      they are not easily achieved they do not count towards his cap number.

      Our Numbers:

      http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165
      Looking at the salary numbers there, the Raptors have a very well balanced roster. Role-players Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza, and Jarret Jack make around $5M. Andrea Bargnani, our only "sure-fire" starter, makes about $9M. Our 6th man, Barbosa, makes $7M. We have 3 rookie scale contracts (for first round picks), 3 non-guaranteed second round pick contracts, and Solomon Alabi's miniscule contract. Really, aside from Jose's contract and Banks/Reggie's expirings, we're in very good shape imo.

      Comment


      • #18
        Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        Expiring contracts have zero positive value to anyone but the player getting the money, unless the team does something with that player via a trade or unless the player contributes something positive on court.

        Right now those are the two worst contracts on the Raptors period, straight up. If Jose doesn't get moved and Davis develops really quickly Evans and Banks may not total more than few hundred minutes between them for the season. Terrible contracts today.
        Actually Banks & Evans contracts aren't that bad as they make around 5 million each plus they are expiring contracts- here today, gone tomorrow.

        Now Jose makes around 9 million plus he's signed for 3 more years at 30 million- now that's the worst current TO contract.

        Comment


        • #19
          Seems reasonable to me. But, as far as the negative perception of the Raptors and Colangelo projected (including to some of the RR brethren), Amir got an unnecessarily bloated contract in dollars & term....leading to further embellishing the bad-management rap. In fact it was even postulated that BC's bid competition was himself! Now is anyone incl. Hollinger (it could have been another scribe at espn) retract their opinion of the contract terms?

          Comment


          • #20
            It's the offseason. Reporters need a way to get readers. Welcome to journalism at its worst

            Comment


            • #21
              Marz wrote: View Post
              It's the offseason. Reporters need a way to get readers. Welcome to journalism at its worst

              +1
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

              Memories some so sweet, indeed

              Larger Photo of the avatar



              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

              Comment


              • #22
                I think this deal is a little too generous. I thought it would be 25 mil max. We are giving him a starting job on a team he likes to play with. He would not get a starting job on any other team and i think less money.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Red and White wrote: View Post
                  I think this deal is a little too generous. I thought it would be 25 mil max. We are giving him a starting job on a team he likes to play with. He would not get a starting job on any other team and i think less money.
                  He got the starting job on opening night in 08-09 in Detroit and they made the playoffs. Unfortunately he was not ready to handle it on a number of levels. As a result he was in and out of the starting lineup up until about the all-star break. After that he mostly sat on the bench and was pretty much in Curry's doghouse.

                  He played a lot better in 09-10 than he did in 08-09.

                  In 10-11 he will be a lot better all around player than he was in 08-09 and even better than he was in 09-10.

                  So if he does start for the Raptors it will be his second chance at starting.

                  Would he start for another team in 10-11?

                  Don't know

                  Will he be in the Raptors starting lineup all season in 10-11?

                  Don't know

                  It all depends on his ability to control his foul problem. His minutes will be completely determined by that.

                  My guess is 25 mpg tops for the season whether he starts or comes off the bench. Anything more than that would be a pleasant surprise. I ain't going to hold my breadth waiting for him to average 30 mpg plus in 10-11
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                  Memories some so sweet, indeed

                  Larger Photo of the avatar



                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    calm down there. you get so uptight about anybody who picks on amir. hahaha

                    you know you arent going to change their minds.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      He got the starting job on opening night in 08-09 in Detroit and they made the playoffs. Unfortunately he was not ready to handle it on a number of levels. As a result he was in and out of the starting lineup up until about the all-star break. After that he mostly sat on the bench and was pretty much in Curry's doghouse.

                      He played a lot better in 09-10 than he did in 08-09.

                      In 10-11 he will be a lot better all around player than he was in 08-09 and even better than he was in 09-10.

                      So if he does start for the Raptors it will be his second chance at starting.

                      Would he start for another team in 10-11?

                      Don't know

                      Will he be in the Raptors starting lineup all season in 10-11?

                      Don't know

                      It all depends on his ability to control his foul problem. His minutes will be completely determined by that.

                      My guess is 25 mpg tops for the season whether he starts or comes off the bench. Anything more than that would be a pleasant surprise. I ain't going to hold my breadth waiting for him to average 30 mpg plus in 10-11

                      1st , just because he started the 1st game, that dosnt mean he was deserving of it.

                      2nd, you got me all wrong, i love how amir johnson plays and i think he is an excellent player, but i also was the biggest calderon fan, and the same thing happened with him. I dont want amir to be a bust like jose. I thought it was odd that bc made this deal this big because it almost is the same. Amir johnson should have been signed to a one or two year deal, we have to be very cautious because if he does turn out to be a bust we screwed our self out of alot of money. There is a reason that amir was drafted out of HS, he has great "RAW" (haha) talent and if worked on could be a 20 and 10 guy.

                      I dont think he is ready yet, my opinion. The raptors have not done well when developing young guys. Pops,Ukic, Jawai, Douby, all looked like they had bright futures here too. I might be a little too cautious because if i am wrong, and amir is a force in the leauge, and we sign him to a 1 year deal, he could very well leave us.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        douby actually looked like the only reasonable one and then right when he started to show a little something he was dropped.

                        belinelli in my opinion is trade fodder. he may blossom into something nice but if he doesn't i think hes a good trade chip right now.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                        Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          LBF wrote: View Post
                          douby actually looked like the only reasonable one and then right when he started to show a little something he was dropped.

                          belinelli in my opinion is trade fodder. he may blossom into something nice but if he doesn't i think hes a good trade chip right now.
                          I believe one of doubys last games he got 15 points. GREAT shooter

                          Belinelli is the first person on this team i trade, cant stand the way he plays.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X