Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps Gearing Up For A FA Push In 2011-12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps Gearing Up For A FA Push In 2011-12?

Evans - $5mil
    Banks - $5mil
    Wright - $3mil
    Barbosa - $7mil (option)
    Andersen - $3mil (option)

All these contracts are expiring at the end of next season. Which means, the Raps will have at least $13 mil cap space, plus if they use the TPE for expiring contracts, they can add more to the $13mil.

Please correct me if im wrong with the numbers.

Are the Raps preparing to sign a big name FA in the 2011-2012 season? Anybody got a list of the FAs??

The 2011-2012 season is most likely a lockout. Even if it isn't, it's when the new CBA goes into effect, which means we don't know the meaning or value of cap space until we get some details.

Comment

I don't think so. Both those guys are picking up their options and cutting the cap space doesn't help them any. With their current long term cap commitments they're better off maintaining their current payroll. They should be responsible buyers, not sellers. The money Colangelo dished out this off-season leads me to believe I have at least half of it right. They're at least buyers.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I don't think so. Both those guys are picking up their options and cutting the cap space doesn't help them any. With their current long term cap commitments they're better off maintaining their current payroll. They should be responsible buyers, not sellers. The money Colangelo dished out this off-season leads me to believe I have at least half of it right. They're at least buyers.
        Barbosa's is a player option so he might pick up his, andersen's a team option, so the Raps could let him go.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

plus if they use the TPE for expiring contracts, they can add more to the $13mil.
          how does using the tpe on expirings give you more cap space after the season ?

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
            how does using the tpe on expirings give you more cap space after the season ?
            It doesn't. It gives you the same amount.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
              It doesn't. It gives you the same amount.
              shoot... i thought tbihis discovered some loophole...
              Last edited by vinnie_paz; Wed Aug 11, 2010, 04:15 PM.

Comment

For the Raps to have any financial flexibility they need to get rid of Calderon's contract. I can see BC telling Barbosa (if he turns out to be a good fit in TOR) to opt out and they'll sign him to a 4-5 year/$20-25M contract to give them an extra $2M to spend.

All of this is really a moot point without knowing if 1) there will be a 2011-12 season and 2) new CBA rules.

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                  shoot... i thought tbihis discovered some loophole...
                  haha that wouldve been great! i was hoping for the same thing too.

Comment

It seems to me that BC has given up on the Euro experiment.

The team is headed in a totally different direction

It is going young talented an athletic.

Anderson will probably last out the season
                    Kleiza might last for his entire contract
                    Calderon it is only a question of the right deal like the Bobcats one, coming along
                    Bargnani may stick around but a trade of him before his contract expires once some of the other Raptors start to build a name for themselves wouldn't surprise me in the least.

So it seems to me that BC has a vision and a direction. Whether he sticks with it and how successful it will be only time will tell.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      It seems to me that BC has given up on the Euro experiment.

The team is headed in a totally different direction

It is going young talented an athletic.

Anderson will probably last out the season
                      Kleiza might last for his entire contract
                      Calderon it is only a question of the right deal like the Bobcats one, coming along
                      Bargnani may stick around but a trade of him before his contract expires once some of the other Raptors start to build a name for themselves wouldn't surprise me in the least.

So it seems to me that BC has a vision and a direction. Whether he sticks with it and how successful it will be only time will tell.
                      Seems like he really took the words "this team is too soft" way too seriously.
                      Also, if you dont notice, seems like his getting tougher, better rebounding players to compliment Bargs.
                      If he had the same mindset when Bosh was still here, things might have been different.

Comment

Barbosa's is a player option so he might pick up his, andersen's a team option, so the Raps could let him go.
                        I think there is 100% certainty of Barbosa picking up his option. No way sees that money again.

Comment

Remember BC's speech to the ticket holders?

we got a guy coming in in Linus Kleiza. The guy has a ton of 'brother' in him (lol). He grew up in NYC, New Jersey area, played with a bunch of tough guys in Denver. He's exactly what we need(ed), he's tough as nails and isn't going to back down from anybody. Very happy about this guy, and you will be too.

That was fucking classic. What's next, forcing Barg's to go through the Wu-Tang Discography or watch "Soul Plane" to realize that he too has a ton of "brother" in him?
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Evans - $5mil
                            Banks - $5mil
                            Wright - $3mil
                            Barbosa - $7mil (option)
                            Andersen - $3mil (option)

All these contracts are expiring at the end of next season. Which means, the Raps will have at least $13 mil cap space, plus if they use the TPE for expiring contracts, they can add more to the $13mil.

Please correct me if im wrong with the numbers.

Are the Raps preparing to sign a big name FA in the 2011-2012 season? Anybody got a list of the FAs??

The premise of this whole thread is a bit flawed because they don't necessarily have to have $13M in cap space just because they have $13M in expirings.

Let's say the cap is $56M this year, and the Raptors are at $65M. Then with $13M coming off the books, and assuming next year's cap goes up to about $58M, they would still only be $6M under the cap. That doesn't leave much room to sign anyone good, and essentially amounts to a mid-level exception...

Comment

I have no idea if my numbers above are right, but just trying to illustrate that $13M in exprings does not mean $13M in cap space.

Comment

Working...
                              X