No announcement yet.

Playing Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you think the Raps are going overtime every single game, I don't think your pt splits work so well...
    Also I think Dorsey's gonna stick with the team, with Alabi going to the D-league. Unless I missed something and Dorsey's already gone...

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
      CENTER

Andrea Bargnani 30-40 minutes (depending on foul trouble)
      David Andersen 8 minutes (depending on Bargs' foul trouble)
      Amir Johnson 5 minutes (might end up playing Center at some points...)

POWER FORWARD

Amir Johnson 30 minutes or less (he'll be caught up in foul trouble pretty much every game)
      Ed Davis 20 minutes
      Reggie Evans 1 minute

SMALL FORWARD

Linas Kleiza 25 minute
      Demar DeRozan 10 minutes
      Julian Wright 18 minutes

SHOOTING GUARD

Demar DeRozan 20 minutes
      Sonny Weems 20 minutes
      Leandro Barbosa 10 minutes

POINT GUARD

Jose Calderon 25 minutes
      Jarret Jack 20 minutes
      Leandro Barbosa 10 minutes
      Nice try Joe, but last time I checked NBA games are still 48 minutes long. Right now you have 51 mins for PF, 53 for SF, 50 for SG, and 55 for PG. Are the Raptors going to be so bad that the league will inact a mercy rule allowing them to have 6 players on the court?

Comment

Those are not accurate numbers. I just rounded up the minutes. No one will have fixed minutes...

Comment

Revised List

So my minutes theory is flawed and I'll call myself out on it. The flaw comes in the fact that guys miss games due to injuries and guys at the end of the rotation typically don't play every game. After you get past the top 8 or so you'll see one guy playing one game but he might sit out next game to make way for another player who may offer a more favorable match up. To illustrate all this all you need to do is consider two facts. 240, that's the total minutes that can be played at five positions during a game. 290, that's roughly what the total of the average minutes per player was for the Raptors last season. With this in mind it's makes things a little easier to manage. Below I've constructed a list using 290 minutes, which I know is just a rough number but I feel using last year's total will better reflect what it will look like when thinking about other variables:

MINUTES BY POSITION

Center

Andrea Bargnani 36 min
          David Andersen 12 min
          Ed Davis 2 min
          Solomon Alabi 5 min

Power Forward
          Amir Johnson 27 min
          Ed Davis 25 min
          Reggie Evans 10 min

Small Forward
          Linas Kleiza 25 min
          DeMar DeRozan 16 min
          Julian Wright 12 min

Shooting Guard
          DeMar DeRozan 21 min
          Leandro Barbosa 17 min
          Sonny Weems 22 min

Point Guard
          Jarret Jack 30 min
          Jose Calderon 20 min
          Leandro Barbosa 5 min
          Marcus Banks 5 min

MINUTES BY PLAYER

DeMar DeRozan 37 min
          Andrea Bargnani 36 min
          Jarret Jack 30 min
          Ed Davis 27 min
          Amir Johnson 27 min
          Linas Kleiza 25 min
          Leandro Barbosa 22 min
          Sonny Weems 22 min
          Jose Calderon 20 min
          David Andersen 12 min
          Julian Wright 12 min
          Reggie Evans 10 min
          Solomon Alabi 5 min
          Marcus Banks 5 min

Comment

That seems pretty fair, but I think the on court match ups will dictate the minutes more than ability and versatility. I don't think Jose, Kleiza and Bargs should ever be on the court together. Jose should play with Amir because of thier chemistry and Wright to get his confidence up. I think Wright is the starting SF of the future so giving him as much burn as possible is crucial. Derozan and Weems should get a lot of time playing together and Barbosa needs to play with another ball handler/distributor which may end up being Kleiza. I don't think Reggie should ever see the floor. The crunch time lineup should be Jack, Derozan, Weems, Amir, Bargs.

The best part of this team is that the 2nd unit will almost be as talented as the 1st. If the starters can just avoid getting blown out every 1st quarter, the back ups might be able to make thier fair share of deficits.

Comment

black angus wrote: View Post
              Nice try Joe, but last time I checked NBA games are still 48 minutes long. Right now you have 51 mins for PF, 53 for SF, 50 for SG, and 55 for PG. Are the Raptors going to be so bad that the league will inact a mercy rule allowing them to have 6 players on the court?
              Good catch but let point on two things

1. In 1961-62 Wilt averaged 49 mpg.

Now that is a record that will 4sure never be broken and not even threatened

2. Giving JoePanini the benefit of the doubt maybe he was referring to seasonal averages. During a season your players individual mpg can add up to more than 48 if some players do not play in every game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...chambwi01.html
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                Good catch but let point on two things

1. In 1961-62 Wilt averaged 49 mpg.

Now that is a record that will 4sure never be broken and not even threatened

2. Giving JoePanini the benefit of the doubt maybe he was referring to seasonal averages. During a season your players individual mpg can add up to more than 48 if some players do not play in every game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...chambwi01.html

That means that blackangus wasted time adding up numbers on a computer screen on a beautiful summer afternoon for nothing? lol

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  So my minutes theory is flawed and I'll call myself out on it. The flaw comes in the fact that guys miss games due to injuries and guys at the end of the rotation typically don't play every game. After you get past the top 8 or so you'll see one guy playing one game but he might sit out next game to make way for another player who may offer a more favorable match up. To illustrate all this all you need to do is consider two facts. 240, that's the total minutes that can be played at five positions during a game. 290, that's roughly what the total of the average minutes per player was for the Raptors last season. With this in mind it's makes things a little easier to manage. Below I've constructed a list using 290 minutes, which I know is just a rough number but I feel using last year's total will better reflect what it will look like when thinking about other variables:

MINUTES BY POSITION

Center

Andrea Bargnani 36 min
                  David Andersen 12 min
                  Ed Davis 2 min
                  Solomon Alabi 5 min

Power Forward
                  Amir Johnson 27 min
                  Ed Davis 25 min
                  Reggie Evans 10 min

Small Forward
                  Linas Kleiza 25 min
                  DeMar DeRozan 16 min
                  Julian Wright 12 min

Shooting Guard
                  DeMar DeRozan 21 min
                  Leandro Barbosa 17 min
                  Sonny Weems 22 min

Point Guard
                  Jarret Jack 30 min
                  Jose Calderon 20 min
                  Leandro Barbosa 5 min
                  Marcus Banks 5 min

MINUTES BY PLAYER

DeMar DeRozan 37 min
                  Andrea Bargnani 36 min
                  Jarret Jack 30 min
                  Ed Davis 27 min
                  Amir Johnson 27 min
                  Linas Kleiza 25 min
                  Leandro Barbosa 22 min
                  Sonny Weems 22 min
                  Jose Calderon 20 min
                  David Andersen 12 min
                  Julian Wright 12 min
                  Reggie Evans 10 min
                  Solomon Alabi 5 min
                  Marcus Banks 5 min

I think i would rather banks play pg then weems or barbosa, banks is a pg and a better one then weems or leandro. I know that it is and will be somewhat debated but i think that marcus banks is better then them at that position. When he does play, he plays well. I dont know, maybe im saying this because im delusional right now? o whatever

Comment

MINUTES BY POSITION

Center

Andrea Bargnani 36 min
                    David Andersen 12 min
                    Ed Davis 2 min
                    Solomon Alabi 5 min

Power Forward
                    Amir Johnson 27 min
                    Ed Davis 25 min
                    Reggie Evans 10 min

Small Forward
                    Linas Kleiza 25 min
                    DeMar DeRozan 16 min
                    Julian Wright 12 min

Shooting Guard
                    DeMar DeRozan 21 min
                    Leandro Barbosa 17 min
                    Sonny Weems 22 min

Point Guard
                    Jarret Jack 30 min
                    Jose Calderon 20 min
                    Leandro Barbosa 5 min
                    Marcus Banks 5 min

MINUTES BY PLAYER

DeMar DeRozan 37 min
                    Andrea Bargnani 36 min
                    Jarret Jack 30 min
                    Ed Davis 27 min
                    Amir Johnson 27 min
                    Linas Kleiza 25 min
                    Leandro Barbosa 22 min
                    Sonny Weems 22 min
                    Jose Calderon 20 min
                    David Andersen 12 min
                    Julian Wright 12 min
                    Reggie Evans 10 min
                    Solomon Alabi 5 min
                    Marcus Banks 5 min
                    Keep in mind that Davis has never played over 720 minutes in a season in his career. 27 mpg for 82 games is 2,214 minutes 3x more than he has ever played in one season. Throw in all the NBA travel that he is not used to.

There is no way that Ed Davis can play 27 mpg for 82 games and be effective. He will hit the rookie wall no later than January if he plays 27 mpg.

I have said between 15 - 20 but I think about 20 mpg maximum is what Triano is planning provided Davis is effective. Its not Reggie can't play at all. He can't shoot and his defense rotation is a bit questionable but he can still rebound and is probably better at it than Davis.

I think this what we could see in minutes for each of the 13 players currently under a guaranteed contract provided no major injuries occur.

Bargnani---82--35----2870
                    Johnson----82--28---2296
                    DeRozan--75---30---2250
                    Jack------78---28---2184
                    Kleiza------75---27---2025
                    Calderon--70---25---1750
                    Weems----82---20---1640
                    Barbosa---65---23---1495
                    Davis------70---18---1260
                    Evans-----70---12----840
                    Wright----65---10----650
                    Alabi------25---9-----225
                    Banks-----20---10----200
                    -----------------------------
                    Total---------------19685
                    Max 82X240--------19680
                    ----------------------------
                    Diff--------------------5
                    =========================
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Aug 12, 2010, 10:50 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                      That means that blackangus wasted time adding up numbers on a computer screen on a beautiful summer afternoon for nothing? lol
                      He didn't miss one minute that season. There were some overtime games. That is how it comes to 48.5 or 49 rounded.

He also never fouled out of a game in his career.

Comment

Keep in mind that Davis has never played over 720 minutes in a season in his career. 27 mpg for 82 games is 2,214 minutes 3x more than he has ever played in one season. Throw in all the NBA travel that he is not used to.

There is no way that Ed Davis can play 27 mpg for 82 games and be effective. He will hit the rookie wall no later than January if he plays 27 mpg.
                        Two Highly Successful Raptors Rookie PF Campaigns
                        Charlie Villanueva: 2361 total minutes
                        Chris Bosh: 2510 total minutes

Comment

Two Highly Successful Raptors Rookie PF Campaigns
                          Charlie Villanueva: 2361 total minutes
                          Chris Bosh: 2510 total minutes
                          You are correct about Bosh. He jumped from playing only 1,000 minutes in his one year at GT to the 2500 minutes as a rookie.

The next season he played 81 games and after that he has exceeded only 70 games in a season once in the last five years.

Did all those minutes that Bosh played at 19 cause his body to start to break down?

Then again he has always logged a lot of mpg so maybe that also has contributed to the physical deterioration of his body.

Villaneuva did play 2361 minutes as a rookie when he was 21 however

The next season he only played 39 games and has never exceeded 2100 again in his career.

Did all those minutes he played as a rookie weaken his body?

Yes there are guys that play a lot of minutes as rookies and some never feel the affects.

Others who play those heavy minutes run into a rookie wall or later have their body break down earlier than it should have.

However, thanks for pointing those examples out.

Some are saying that Davis will start and play the same minutes as DeRozan did. This is possible. We obviously won't know until the season progresses.

We shall see.

Comment

He didn't miss one minute that season. There were some overtime games. That is how it comes to 48.5 or 49 rounded.

lol thanks, i knew that but i was just saying that people will go throw hell (such as adding) to make people look stupid

but thankyou

Comment

lol thanks, i knew that but i was just saying that people will go throw hell (such as adding) to make people look stupid

but thankyou

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post

but thankyou
                                You are welcome

Comment

Working...
                                X