No announcement yet.

Should The Raptors Retire #4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why don't we retire nate huffman and john wallaces jerseys too?

while we're in the business of contemplating undeserving retired jerseys, can we retire the ACC mop girl's sweet titties too?

Comment

Retiring a jersey number is not an option for bosh, he didn't take us past the first round, wasn't an mvp candidate (except for small stretches his last year here) the only way bosh jersey could be retired at this level of success if he had stayed here his whole career. i would love to retire a raptors jeresy but we are still waiting for a player worthy enough.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Toronto retiring RuPaul's #4 would be like Memphis retiring Gasol's #16. It would be equivalent to the franchise saying a big "thank you" for three 1st round playoff KOs and years of filling up the stat sheet while making little impact in the win column.

If the Raps ever do retire #4, I hope it's in honor of Yogi Stewart.

Comment

Are you serious? For what? What has he accomplished? He put up good numbers on a bad team. Not saying he's a bad player, he's a real good player just not number retirement worthy.

Comment

Contextually this is such an inconsequential question. Really.

I write this because the man has essentially done nothing of real note in basketball either personally or for the Raptors...so far in his career. One never knows, he could be a Raptor again. My own view is that alongwith the above the player should be considered for the honour much like a hall-of-fame addition....when he is retired and an entire body of work is available. This thread considers Bosh....I remember reading about a similar posting somewhere about whether Shaq should be similarly honoured by the Lakers. I think I remember much negativity and this is after the very real accomplishments of Shaq there. The differences in the personal accomplishments are astounding...Bosh's # in Toronto hanging at the ACC vs. Baylor, West, Jabbar, Magic etc at the Forum. These are real icons. Lets not cheapen our standards....please!!

A resounding NO. (And this has nothing to do with his scuzzy behaviour leading upto his free agency signing).
            Last edited by Bendit; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Sly wrote: View Post
              Toronto retiring RuPaul's #4 would be like Memphis retiring Gasol's #16. It would be equivalent to the franchise saying a big "thank you" for three 1st round playoff KOs and years of filling up the stat sheet while making little impact in the win column.

If the Raps ever do retire #4, I hope it's in honor of Yogi Stewart.
              I like the cut of your jib... Minus the Yogi Stewart reference.

Comment

I say retire it.
                But put a C after the S. BOSCH.
                Like the washing machine.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Do you guys/gals think that the Raptors should retire #4?
                  That is ridiculous after Bosh made a mockery of the city and organization and allowed HePothead to have the balls to talk after he played a disastrous season and was out of shape. . Ask the Cleveland fans if they will also retire LeBron James' #23 in the rafters after his ill-fated and narcissitic decision. . Players who get their numbers retired are classy, win, bare their heart out on the floor and are not scared of injury derailing their payday and do not make mockery of the city and organization they played for. . If Bosh and LeBron get their numbers retired in Toronto and Cleveland then any scum that can play ball and disrespects the organization too should have their numbers retired. .

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Here's a question. If Bosh had played seven years in L.A. or Boston, posted the same numbers as here, had the same accomplishments as here and had the same playoff failures as here would they retire his number? I would say absolutely not. They have establish standards. You need to be great to have your jersey retired there. Why should the Raptors not carry the same standard? Just because the franchise has not been successful does not mean the standards of who should be enshrined should be different. If the Raptors do have success and do develope great players who stay here for their entire career or most of their career, their numbers being retired and honored will mean less if guys like Carter and Bosh are already up there in the rafters.

If you want to see Bosh honored then maybe they should invite him back in four years for the 20th anniversary if he can be bothered to fit it into his thick schedule of tweeting and stroking his inflated needy ego.

+1

Comment

you dont reward mediocrity and losing. plain and simple. bosh led the team into developing a competitive culture that was just not good enough time after time, regardless of the different kinds of players he was surrounded with. he's our poster boy for being just on the cusp, but failing enough to be right below the mediocrity line.

he left town in a fitting manner. he pussed out during a playoff run. totally his character. no need to shower him with more undeserved praise.

i'd vote for retiring Dance Pack dancers sports bras before i'd ever support the idea of giving bosh anything more than a video montage.

Comment

#4 will never be retired. MLSE does not retire jersey numbers but they will raise his jersey to the rafters along with VC. Both have been very very good players in their own right with the majority of there time spent here but neither will be a hall of famer and that should be the only way numbers should get retired.

Comment

I agree. I still think Vince was the best thing that ever happened to the Raptors, regardless of the way he left, though.

What'd Bosh do to deserve his jersey retired? I believe this thread was just started for controversy.. So, no point in anyone getting heated over it.
                          Last edited by Ryan_1523; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Contextually this is such an inconsequential question. Really.

I write this because the man has essentially done nothing of real note in basketball either personally or for the Raptors...so far in his career. One never knows, he could be a Raptor again. My own view is that alongwith the above the player should be considered for the honour much like a hall-of-fame addition....when he is retired and an entire body of work is available. This thread considers Bosh....I remember reading about a similar posting somewhere about whether Shaq should be similarly honoured by the Lakers. I think I remember much negativity and this is after the very real accomplishments of Shaq there. The differences in the personal accomplishments are astounding...Bosh's # in Toronto hanging at the ACC vs. Baylor, West, Jabbar, Magic etc at the Forum. These are real icons. Lets not cheapen our standards....please!!

A resounding NO. (And this has nothing to do with his scuzzy behaviour leading upto his free agency signing).
                            +100. But...if we do, let's bring him back down and play this song while we raise his faggot-ass jersey.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0A8Es2eFQ
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

If Bosh wants his Jersey retired then let Miami do it. In the 7 years he was here he has lead Toronto to exactly 0 playoff series wins and an Atlantic division title in the weakest division in recent history. Then he admitted he couldn't do it and left the team. How does that warrant him getting his number retired. At least Garnett took his team to the conference finals in a heated west and people were scared to play that Minnesota team. When was the last time anyone was scared to play Bosh and The Raptors.

I would rather Toronto have no numbers retired than have numbers like his retired for the sake of it.
                              What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

No championships + Not a lifetime Raptor = No retired Jersey

Comment

Working...
                                X