Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Triano Use More Zone Defense In 2010-11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Triano Use More Zone Defense In 2010-11?

I found this article. It talks about Team USA and how it is going to use the Zone Defense in the FIBA tournament based upon the suggestion of on one of their assistant coaches, Jim Boeheim.

Triano of course is an assistant coach on Team USA. The reasons given for Team USA using the zone I think will pretty much apply to the Raptors in 10-11.

So I was wondering if Triano might decide to use the Zone Defense on a regular basis in 10-11.

Good idea for the Raptors in 10-11 to use it or bad idea to use it?

===========================

Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated featured Krzyzewski’s love affair with the zone in a piece last week, in particular highlighting the influence and importance of Team USA assistant and zone defense guru Jim Boeheim:

When Team USA broke camp in Las Vegas last month, before reuniting this week in New York for more workouts, implementing a zone defense wasn’t even on its radar. Pressure was the word of the week, with U.S. coaches convinced that the team’s length and athleticism would make it a dangerous pressing unit in the upcoming FIBA World Championships.

However, recent circumstances — specifically the withdrawal of most of the team’s top big men — has led to a shift in that thinking. With Amar’e Stoudemire, David Lee and Brook Lopez bowing out of the tournament, which begins Aug. 28, rebounding has become a major point of concern. Tyson Chandler and JaVale McGee are the only natural centers on the roster, while Kevin Love and Lamar Odom are the only true power forwards.

Playing zone, coaches say, will position more bodies near the backboards. To that end, the U.S. has tapped assistant coach Jim Boeheim, who has employed the zone at Syracuse for more than three decades, to teach the principles of the defense to the U.S. team.

In principle, the zone offers a nice counter to Team USA’s more aggressive man-to-man sets, and could briefly confuse their opponents as the defense makes a stylistic shift. However, the zone approach really is getting away what this group does best, and making some fairly odd concessions in the process.
    The zone would likely help the Americans to defend the post, particularly when Tyson Chandler is resting, but at what cost? The biggest concessions of the zone are rebounding and three-pointers, one of which is already problematic given the makeup of this roster, and the other has been noted repeatedly by Team USA players and coaches as a point of defensive emphasis. “Don’t give up threes to these guys,” they say. “Every opponent on the floor can shoot,” they say. “We have to respect their range,” they say. So naturally, Team USA moves to feature the zone defense more prominently, as a way to exacerbate their own rebounding concerns while also surrendering more open three-point attempts than ever. And that’s if the zone is at least fairly competent, which seems like a long-shot due to to Team USA’s limited practice time.

The zone isn’t some catch-all for when man-to-man coverage fails. Like any defensive system, it takes the proper personnel, but even more importantly, a certain amount of time for absorption and implementation. A group of NBAers accustomed to playing man/help defense year-round won’t run a proper zone after a weekend seminar.
    comp article on link

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2010...medium=twitter
    Yes - I think it would help
    16.67%
    Yes - I think it would help but only on a limited basis
    16.67%
    No - The Raptors rebounding is bad enough
    50.00%
    No - The Zone is for punks and not real basketball players
    16.67%
    The only zone that the Raptors should employ on defense is the "No Fly Zone"
    0.00%
    This post reads like something out of the Twilight Zone
    0.00%
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Aug 20, 2010, 02:15 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

very good article. enjoyed reading it. I just can't see the raptors playing it at all, unless they start committing themselves to that end of the floor

Comment

If Triano can get them to play zone at the same intensity level that the Phoenix Suns did against the L.A. Lakers in the 2010 Western Conference Finals, then yes.
      "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
      ------------------------------------------
      "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

Comment

With more rebounders on the roster, it's possible that it works. He tried it last year often enough so I'd be surprised if he didn't do it again.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          With more rebounders on the roster, it's possible that it works. He tried it last year often enough so I'd be surprised if he didn't do it again.
          That is what I was thinking.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

TO can't box out in man to man- a zone defense will only magnify that lack of skill shown (boxin' out) by TO players allowing even more easy baskets than another long rebound off of a missed Bargnani 3 point shot.

Comment

Working...
            X