Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW! Didn't See This Coming...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Doesn't this basically kill any trade value that he might have had?
    There is not absolutely no chance that Jose will be traded. He is out till Oct and who in their right mind, will invest 30 million on a player who is injured unless Raptors sweeten the deal with some 1st round draft picks.

    Comment


    • #17
      Arsenalist wrote: View Post
      Doesn't this basically kill any trade value that he might have had?
      Excellent point.

      This might mean that Calderon might not get traded if at all until after the season starts.

      This injury could be one of the best things that has happened to the Raptors so far this summer.

      I think that the NBA Trade karma is against the Raptors trading Jose at least this summer.

      1. Charlotte trade falls through
      2. Jose gets injured in an exhibition game

      Maybe trading Jose this summer was just not meant to be despite what some posters here have been saying.

      We shall see
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

      Memories some so sweet, indeed

      Larger Photo of the avatar



      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

      Comment


      • #18
        Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        I am not sure that he is better in every aspect of his game than the Team USA PGs.

        However, it appears to me that he is better at passing than the Team USA PGs.

        Based upon the current roster before the cut to 12

        Rondo is a better defender though Rubio is pretty good. I want to see him in the NBA before upgrading that

        Rose is a far better scorer than Rubio

        Westbrook has a better all around game than Rubio

        Right now I would them

        1. Westbrook
        2. Rondo
        3. Rose
        4. Rubio
        X. Calderon
        Rubio is a great defender. I've seen him play for Barcelona, can guard his man really well because he is both big and fast. His hands are like WOO. HAHA. He can't shoot very well, but will get the open buckets. And he's quite streaky, like he can make jump shots after jumpshot. But, not very often. His passing and IQ is a million times better than most PGs in the entire NBA.

        My list:

        1. Rondo
        2. Rubio
        3. Westbrook
        4. Rose

        Comment


        • #19
          Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          Doesn't this basically kill any trade value that he might have had?
          I was going to say the same thing. Jose getting hurt just reaffirms that Colangelo is likely done dealing for this summer and right now the roster is set.

          Another thing too is that we now have to listen to people make excuses for Jose this season and why he underachieved. It'll be the ole injury blame game like it was a couple seasons ago.

          Comment


          • #20
            Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            Excellent point.

            This might mean that Calderon might not get traded if at all until after the season starts.

            This injury could be one of the best things that has happened to the Raptors so far this summer.

            I think that the NBA Trade karma is against the Raptors trading Jose at least this summer.

            1. Charlotte trade falls through
            2. Jose gets injured in an exhibition game

            Maybe trading Jose this summer was just not meant to be despite what some posters here have been saying.

            We shall see
            I agree. everyone knows that Jose is a liability on defense, but weve seen in the past that he is willing to do everything for the team to win, be it come off the bench, do less scoring more passing, be the official gatorade distributor during halftime, anything! ive said before he's definitely not a bonafide starting PG, but he has great great chemistry with Amir and DD off the break and can definitely shoulder the 2nd unit. and you know with his personality, he's never gonna be a problem in the locker room. i think the reason why he clashed heads with turk is because turk wanted to play more the way he wants to, rather than be a contributing factor to team play, and maybe jose took offense to that. but hopefully, it all works out for jose and the raps.

            Comment


            • #21
              Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              I was going to say the same thing. Jose getting hurt just reaffirms that Colangelo is likely done dealing for this summer and right now the roster is set.

              Another thing too is that we now have to listen to people make excuses for Jose this season and why he underachieved. It'll be the ole injury blame game like it was a couple seasons ago.
              I just hope he recovers, and then he'll have a 13 9 year :P HAHA

              Comment


              • #22
                JoePanini wrote: View Post
                Rubio is a great defender. I've seen him play for Barcelona, can guard his man really well because he is both big and fast. His hands are like WOO. HAHA. He can't shoot very well, but will get the open buckets. And he's quite streaky, like he can make jump shots after jumpshot. But, not very often. His passing and IQ is a million times better than most PGs in the entire NBA.

                My list:

                1. Rondo
                2. Rubio
                3. Westbrook
                4. Rose
                Okay I can see putting Rondo ahead of Wesbrook. I am a Westbrook fan so I will give you that. However, again I believe that you are over valuing the quality of European league play. Yes Rubio has looked good against teams of USA players cobbled together for the Olympics and the FIBA world summer league. However, it is one thing to play against a bunch of NBA players that have played together very little and another thing to play against actual teams.

                In addition, I bet almost every NBA player would say if they could be given the choice between winning the FIBA world summer league tournament or winning an NBA ring even the European players in the NBA would say the NBA ring. So while the NBA guys are trying to win it is obvious from some of their missed dunks etc that they are playing more than just a bit of playground basketball

                Don't forget they are also playing FIBA rules which makes it harder for NBA players to do a bunch of stuff that they do all the time in the NBA, like travel

                I will wait for Rubio to actually play in the NBA before anointing him as an NBA All-Star level player.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Aug 23, 2010, 01:16 PM.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                Memories some so sweet, indeed

                Larger Photo of the avatar



                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Okay I can see putting Rondo ahead of Wesbrook. I am a Westbrook fan so I will give you that. However, again I believe that you are over valuing the quality of European league play. Yes Rubio has looked good against teams of USA players cobbled together for the Olympics and the FIBA world summer league. However, it is one thing to play against a bunch of NBA players that have played together very little and another thing to play against actual teams.

                  Don't forget they are also playing FIBA rules which makes it harder for NBA players to do a bunch of stuff that they do all the time in the NBA, like travel

                  I will wait for Rubio to actually play in the NBA before anointing him as an NBA All-Star level player.
                  True, can't wait for him to join the NBA. I hope he doesn't join the Timberwolves. Maybe he can join the Suns and continue Nash's legacy. He's a very Steve Nash like player, only that he can "steal" better and can't shoot like Steve can.

                  p.s Americans have their advantage aswell, in Europe Garnett can hit the three at 40% :P

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Doc Naismith wrote: View Post

                    Another thing too is that we now have to listen to people make excuses for Jose this season and why he underachieved. It'll be the ole injury blame game like it was a couple seasons ago.
                    The worst thing will be seeing a line up of Barbosa, Jack and Calderon on the floor and listening to Jay saying:
                    1) I believe the best players should be on the floor regardless of position.
                    2) That gives us 3 ball handler
                    3) We wanted to play small ball and run up and down the floor


                    I can already see a 6'10" Amare Posting Up Jose down low.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      tbihis wrote: View Post
                      I agree. everyone knows that Jose is a liability on defense, but weve seen in the past that he is willing to do everything for the team to win, be it come off the bench, do less scoring more passing, be the official gatorade distributor during halftime, anything! ive said before he's definitely not a bonafide starting PG, but he has great great chemistry with Amir and DD off the break and can definitely shoulder the 2nd unit. and you know with his personality, he's never gonna be a problem in the locker room. i think the reason why he clashed heads with turk is because turk wanted to play more the way he wants to, rather than be a contributing factor to team play, and maybe jose took offense to that. but hopefully, it all works out for jose and the raps.
                      It seems to me that you just raised a very a very good point about Turk's negative impact on Jose's play last season. Jose like Turk, Jose needs the ball in his hands to maximize his abilities and effectiveness on offense. I definitely am of the opinion that Jose will perform better on offense like had done before last season, with Turk gone.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                      Memories some so sweet, indeed

                      Larger Photo of the avatar



                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                        I can already see a 6'10" Amare Posting Up Jose down low.
                        RFLMAO

                        Unfortunately.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                        Memories some so sweet, indeed

                        Larger Photo of the avatar



                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                          [url]too bad, he was having a stellar game up to that point...
                          I hope this is dripping in sarcasm. I just finished watching the game and Jose was awful. While Jose was on, USA would get ahead by 10-15, and then Rubio would take Calderon off and they would go on a run. I could not beleive how much superior Rubio was to Calderon (defensively and offensively). I have always liked Jose's heart, but this game exemplified every reason why the Raptors needed to get rid of him this summer (and nothing to do with his contract). The injury just solidifies this.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            "Pssst..Joey....Joey....I pass you the ball".

                            Maybe BC can show that Raptorstv clip to the Cavs and impress upon them how good Jose could be now that they signed Joey Graham.

                            It seems Jose's hammy has gone chronic. Its been 3 seasons already that he keeps going down. Not good for the trade scenario. BC may have to put JJ on the market now.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              BC Boy wrote: View Post
                              I hope this is dripping in sarcasm. I just finished watching the game and Jose was awful. While Jose was on, USA would get ahead by 10-15, and then Rubio would take Calderon off and they would go on a run. I could not beleive how much superior Rubio was to Calderon (defensively and offensively). I have always liked Jose's heart, but this game exemplified every reason why the Raptors needed to get rid of him this summer (and nothing to do with his contract). The injury just solidifies this.
                              Jose is also a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

                              Just after Jose had his very good season with the Raptors in I believe 07-08 the NBA started to receive a huge influx of very talented young PGs. This huge influx of so many young talented PGs in such a short span of time is I believe unprecedented in NBA history.

                              Go back to the summer of 2008 and Jose ranked a lot higher among NBA PGs who had played in 07-08 then he does now. Mostly I believe because he has just been passed by by this historically unprecedented influx of young NBA PGs along with just having two injury riddled seasons and the Turk factor in 09-10.
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                              Memories some so sweet, indeed

                              Larger Photo of the avatar



                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                This injury confirms two things: 1) Jose will be back for the start of the season with our club, meaning our first line of defense may remain to be awful, yet our bench production may remain high and 2) I can hold on to my Calderon jersey for a little bit longer now .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X