On Players Playing For Their Countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Players Playing For Their Countries

On the weekend, I got a chance to watch the game between Spain and USA. It was really entertaining and if I may add, the Spaniards played a more spirited "drive and dish" game vs. the USA's "one and done" method. As I was watching, an old familiar favourite in Jose Garbajosa came into the game. There really hasn't been much change in his game after all these years. I really miss his fundamental defensive game at the 3-spot and his occasional 3-point shooting. In the midst of this nostalgic moment I ask,

"Is it a good thing for players to play for their countries, risking injuries or reverting to old bad habits while playing a different kind of ball overseas? Or, is it good for them because they stay sharp and be physically fit?"

To preface this question, may I remind you that Garbajosa lost a legitimate NBA gig because he basically ignored BC's warning against playing for Spain in 2006 (especially after that horrific leg injury). Also, as it turns out, our beloved Calderon was lost to a hamstring injury that will require a month to heal. Thoughts?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

It's good for Bargs. If he stops playing, he'll lose fitness which was one of his main flaws last year. He has to play, and play big minutes for Italy. And as it is so important for Italy to win atm, we'll see how Bargs is as a leader and how he performs under pressure. He'll also be getting ALOT of minutes as they need him more than ever...

Comment

I think this has been an age-old debate.

Personally, id rather have the players rest maybe a month after the regular NBA season then start team practice or individual workouts after that. Its better if they spend time working out with their NBA team rather than playing in another tournament. Yes competitive basketball can whip them into shape but sometimes their role with their FIBA team is not the same as with their NBA team and since their contract is with the NBA team, they should get more accustomed to their role with them.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

Personally, id rather have the players rest maybe a month after the regular NBA season then start team practice or individual workouts after that. Its better if they spend time working out with their NBA team rather than playing in another tournament. Yes competitive basketball can whip them into shape but sometimes their role with their FIBA team is not the same as with their NBA team and since their contract is with the NBA team, they should get more accustomed to their role with them.
        Well in this case, well for Bargs the championships will just help him. Cause he is to be the leader of our team, and he is the leader of the Italian team. And now Italy is under pressure and need to win EVERY game, and in the past 2 games Bargs really stepped up. So let's hope he can put the effort and heart into his NBA games

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
          It's good for Bargs. If he stops playing, he'll lose fitness which was one of his main flaws last year. He has to play, and play big minutes for Italy. And as it is so important for Italy to win atm, we'll see how Bargs is as a leader and how he performs under pressure. He'll also be getting ALOT of minutes as they need him more than ever...
          According to what I have been reading of your posts, anything short of HIV would be good for Bargs game. Based upon that it seems like his game needs a lot of improvement. Yes, yes it does.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

+1. Where are the players being paid millions from?

Comment

If you're good enough to play for your country you do it.

If you don't, you're a selfish jackass. (Jamal Magloire, anyone?)

These guys play a game for a living. They are in unbelievable shape so I don't buy the I'm tired bullshit. Suck it up.

Comment

It really depends on what stage in their NBA career a player is at when these international tourneys take place. For Bargs it's definitely the best thing for him since he does need to improve in some key areas and also get a feel for what its like to be the focal point of a team. He's still young and this is the best time for him to keep developing his body through rigorous training and competitive games that matter. Also, his recovery time will be shorter than players who are at the twilight of their careers so fatigue isn't a factor.

Comment

Question: Should we Try to bury the Hatchet with George and try to sing Garbo.

Injury would make him not as good as the last time we saw him but he impressed yesterday
                  What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

jordan-drexler wrote: View Post
                    question: Should we try to bury the hatchet with george and try to sing garbo.

Injury would make him not as good as the last time we saw him but he impressed yesterday
                    noooooooooooooo !!

Comment

Working...
                    X