Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Need To Keep An Eye On These Kids

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raptors Need To Keep An Eye On These Kids

    http://www.thestar.com/sports/highsc...ng-new-heights

    The Raps scouting staff should be evaluating every Toronto teen with basketball potential as a possible future addition... What this team needs is talented kids who don't want to bounce as soon as they reach UFA status.
    Last edited by madeupid25; Sat Aug 28, 2010, 07:48 PM.

  • #2
    And since this is my thread and ain't nobody replied to it... Might I also add that this is the track that I was listening to when this thread was conceived and y'all should recognize... nice track.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYDw3Mn4IoQ

    Comment


    • #3
      Canadian basketball is on the up. Cory Joseph and Tristan Thompson are just the beginning of a wave of big-time, highly recruited Canadians. Myck Kabongo and Kevin Pangos are filthy, and should ensure us great point guard depth for years to come along with Joseph and Junior Cadougan. Khem Birch, Kyle Wiltjer, Dwight Powell and the gigantic Bhullar brothers (7-4 and 7-2!!!) will give us a nice front court, and I'm praying that Andrew Wiggins (currently ranked the top prospect in the world for his age) gets the coaching he needs to develop into the superstar wing player that we've never had. There are so many other good players coming up that I didn't even mention, so things are looking good for Canada (despite the loss today to Lebanon).

      Comment


      • #4
        That's a great link. Thanks. Basketball in Canada is certainly looking very bright. Are we looking at the beginnings of Canada actually becoming a legitimate power in basketball?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Julius Randle
          Power Forward, 6-8, 218

          NY2LA Sports on Randle: May 2009. One of the biggest young phenoms on the rise both regionally and nationally is 6'7" 2013 F Julius Randle of Texas. Randle is a long versatile athletic young talent with the ability to dominate around the basket and a polished skill set to step away from the basket and both create and attack the rim off the dribble.Randle sees the floor well for a young phenom but his ability to physically dominate games on the offensive end and also create havoc defensively with his shot blocking ability and interior defense has him currently regarded as a top 5-10 2013 phenom nationally. While Randle is advanced both physically and skill wise above most 8th grade phenoms,
          http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=113252
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

          Memories some so sweet, indeed

          Larger Photo of the avatar



          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

          Comment


          • #6
            Seeing it everywhere

            I have coached elementary level school basketball and I have seen a huge improvement in the last 10 years. A kid who could dribble while almost running as fast as he could would score endlessly when i started. Now, he needs to have a lot more to be on the floor.

            I hope that the national team lets the young develop and weeds out some of the guys who are serving now. I hope Rautins is not guilty of being to loyal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Buddhafan, does Julius Randle have any Canadian ties?

              Comment


              • #8
                EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
                I have coached elementary level school basketball and I have seen a huge improvement in the last 10 years. A kid who could dribble while almost running as fast as he could would score endlessly when i started. Now, he needs to have a lot more to be on the floor.

                I hope that the national team lets the young develop and weeds out some of the guys who are serving now. I hope Rautins is not guilty of being to loyal.
                One of the biggest flaws of the Basketball Canada is that they are too loyal to current members and too cliquish when it comes to players who haven't been trained under the wing of Basketball Canada.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  why would they need to keep an eye on these kids anymore than any other kids around the world ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                    why would they need to keep an eye on these kids anymore than any other kids around the world ?
                    I guess I am saying that the Raptors should be considering a prospect's desire to play in this market as one of the criteria they use when evaluating players they might draft. It should not be the only criteria or the most important, but it should definitely be talked about.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You should post part of the article in your original post so people don't have to click. High school players are hit and miss, we'll see how it goes. I agree we should keep an eye on them, but know that every other NBA team is doing the same and just because they're Canadian, is absolutely no indication that the Raptors will have interest in them.

                      Personally, I feel the Raptors are more dedicated to scouting overseas than they are here. Go figure.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        You should post part of the article in your original post so people don't have to click. High school players are hit and miss, we'll see how it goes. I agree we should keep an eye on them, but know that every other NBA team is doing the same and just because they're Canadian, is absolutely no indication that the Raptors will have interest in them.

                        Personally, I feel the Raptors are more dedicated to scouting overseas than they are here. Go figure.
                        Scout did pretty good in 2008.

                        The list on the link is their list of fall 2008 freshman before they began actual college play. Of course Jennings never went to college.

                        Check out their top 10.

                        I believe that all of them are currently in the NBA except for Hopson.

                        #1 - Jennings
                        #6 - DeRozan
                        #10 - Davis

                        http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...pid=88&yr=2008
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Aug 29, 2010, 11:46 PM.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                        Memories some so sweet, indeed

                        Larger Photo of the avatar



                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          Scout did pretty good in 2008.

                          The list on the link is their list of fall 2008 freshman before they began actual college play. Of course Jennings never went to college.

                          Check out their top 10.

                          I believe that all of them are currently in the NBA except for Hopson.

                          #1 - Jennings
                          #6 - DeRozan
                          #10 - Davis

                          http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...pid=88&yr=2008
                          After those TOP10 is hard to find a player making the NBA...except Terrico White in 80th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Fon Riego wrote: View Post
                            After those TOP10 is hard to find a player making the NBA...except Terrico White in 80th!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            That is correct.

                            However since this thread is based upon the idea that the Raptors will get a high lottery pick in June 2011 then there is no need to consider anyone who is ranked lower than the top 10. in their 2010 rankings

                            Class of 2010

                            #--------Scout----------------Rivals
                            --------------------------------------
                            1----Harrison Barnes --------Josh Selby
                            2----Kyrie Irving-------------Harrison Barnes
                            3----Enes Kanter------------Enes Kanter
                            4----Jured Sullinger----------Kyrie Irving
                            5----Josh Selby-------------Jured Sullinger
                            6----Brandon Knight---------Brandon Knight
                            7----Tobias Harris-----------Tobias Harris
                            8----Terrence Jones---------Corey Joseph
                            9----Perry Jones-------------Perry Jones
                            10---Tristan Thompson-------Reggie Bullock

                            So both scouting websites have the same top seven players just in a bit different order.

                            Four players were not ranked by both websites in the top 10.

                            Terrence Jones is ranked 13th by Rivals
                            Tristan Thompson is ranked 17th by Rivals
                            Corey Joseph is 14th ranked by Scout
                            Reggie Bullock is 16th ranked by Scout

                            So at this point in time it seems that there might be a fairly strong consensus on eight of the top 10 at least between Scout and Rivals.


                            Scout 2010 class rankings


                            Rivals 2010 class rankings
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

                            Memories some so sweet, indeed

                            Larger Photo of the avatar



                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              With quality Canadian's already in the NBA (Anthony, Magloire, Nash, *Rautins, Dalembert) I wonder how come one isn't on TO's roster? *rookie Canada has some very nice young upcoming talent playing in the US HS system hopefully one of them will make their way to Toronto. SF Terrence Jones (Kentucky) is the player I want TO to get in the 2011 draft though.

                              Btw- Raptors need to scout 6'4 PG Tony Wroten from Seattle's Garfield HS (2011) same school that produced Brandon Roy. His passing skillz, handle & defense are off the hook- needs to work on J but can get to the rim off the bounce and finish above the rim. He will be a one and done player (Kentucky, Louisville, Washington) ready for the 2012 draft.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X